Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally finished: Aspheric SST-90 3D Mag-Lite

Default Finally finished: Aspheric SST-90 3D Mag-Lite

I have finally finished my aspheric SST-90 Mag-Lite, but let's start at the beginnig of the story.

Everything started back in summer 2009, dyson72 and me finished our first homemade mod, a minimag with a direct driven ssc-p4. It was quiet bright, but not bright enough, so we decided to go for the ssc-p7, which was the brightest affordable led at that time.

But then problem begann to start...,
    what batteries should we use?,
    how do we regulate the current?,
    and finally how do we mount the p7?

Last things first, dyson72 as professional lathe and milling machine operator was like, "ahh that shouldn't be that hard, i can lathe something tomorrow. We just need to messure a few...". Anyway he kept his word and the next day we had some nice ssc-p7 heatsinks.

So i had to keep on working on the power supplying part of the flashlight. First fo all i decided to use A123 batteries, because they are a lot safer than the "China Lithiums" and i already made bad experiences with exploding batteries. Since the voltage von three a123 batteries is around 11 volts i had to design a buck driver for the led.

Buck driver? "Can't be too difficult!", now more than two years later i realise how wrong i was. The first three attempts went up in the magic blue smoke on ignition. The fourth one worked, but i wasn't quiet happy with it. It wasn't a led buck driver, but more of a constant voltage buck regulator with a linear current regulator. But finally after nearly one year was gone i had a working ssc-p7 flashlight.

A few month later the SST-90 was annouced, so we bought some, since they were the ideal led for a high power aspheric build with the single chip emitter. So again dyson72 made some lovely heatsinks for us within a few days, while i almost spent a year creating a driver. The driver i created in that time was capable of 9 amps in theory.
    But guess what happend?

No, you're wrong. No blue smoke, but it became nearly 100°C in less than a minute, so way to hot to use inside a flashlight. So i had to begin from scratch building a 9 amp buck driver.
    Since i'm not an electrical engineer it ended in endless hours of reading datasheets and explanations.
    As a few of you, who also tried to build a driver from scratch, may have found out, it is one thing to know how it works, but another thing building one. Finding the right components and dimension them right is quiet difficult.

In October 2010 finally the sst-90 buck driver was finished. The first time i fired it up it was like "Ouch, thats bright".

After a few test i had the confirmation that this was the first real and complet success, here are the specs ans measured thing of the driver:

- input voltage 8-16V
    - output current 9A
    - switching frequency 500kHz
    - efficiency 84-87% (depending on input voltage)

A few weeks later also the pcb was with the mcu was ready and i could fit everything together. Some little mess-ups in the software and the pcb with the avr mcu later and the final version of the aspheric sst-90 build was complete.

Some of the features:
    - variable dim speed
    - 10bit pwm solution
    - programable strobe
    -flash mode
    - overtemperatur shutdown
    - voltage indicator using leds in the switch of the Mag-Lite
    - all settings are alterable via pc or smartphone

Yes i do know that the last features is a bit over overengineered and but its just a gimmick, since i had some bluetooth modules lying around. You don't belive my, my Mag-Lite has bluetooth?, then check out the video as well.

There was one last problem to solve, we noticed during some outdoor test. The aspheric lense needed a bezel, because otherwise the spread of light blinded you all the time. Since this was a work that fell into dyson72's resort, it was done within a week. So one nice morning he sent me this picture of the lovely black anodized bezels:

This, i think, is the right moment to actually thank him for all the nice bezels heatsinks etc. he created for me, the trust he put in me and the time he waited patiently while i messed it up.
    So now we come the most important part: Pictures!! : ) I know you're tired reading my german's bad english, so here we go:

Modified vs. original switch

The SSC-P7 and SST-90

Aspheric lens form DX

Batterie indicator

The heatsink with mounted SST-90

Best regards
    Alexander

Veiled profanity removed.
    Last edited by Norm; 03-27-2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Veiled profanity removed.

Default Re: Finally finished: Aspheric SST-90 3D Mag-Lite

Beamshots:

Control

Mag-Lite 3C "flood"

Mag-Lite 3C "throw"

LED LENSER Hokus Focus "flood"

LED LENSER Hokus Focus "throw"

SSC-P7 at 10%

SSC-P7 at 100%

SST-90 at 10%

SST-90 at 100%

Control

Mag-Lite 3C "flood"

Mag-Lite 3C "throw"

SSC-P7 at 10%

SSC-P7 at 100%

SST-90 at 10%

SST-90 at 100%

And beacuse i know you all like some more pictures, here are some radom:

And last but not least the video of the HTC application:
    Last edited by samotronta05; 03-27-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: images fixed

Reserved for Updates

what's the range on that bluetooth? ...what did I just say...
    THAT'S SICK!
    made in china...

so when do these go for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikelite View Post
    so when do these go for sale?

+1

Great build !
    Like the long range beamshot to the tower and the lightpainting.

Wow. Homemade driver with bluetooth control from a smartphone? The bar has been raised. That is ubercool.

Flashaholic*

Very nice build.

The bright ring around the edge of the spill (if you can call it that) is probably the result of the reflection of the inside of the heatsink surrounding the LED itself. If you paint/mask it in black then that should go away.

That's a really nice build! Do you plan I selling the regulators? Temperature sensing, continuously variable output, battery indicator, bluetooth, this regulator has it all. I like the LED's for monitoring the battery level.

Somewhere I saw a thread where a guy made his own switch cover to allow the use of LED's in the switch while maintaining water tight integrity. Sorry I didn't save it. Basically he made a two piece mold of the original switch cover from candle wax. When it cooled, he filled it with silicon glue to make a duplicate of the original. I guess a plaster mold would help accelerate the drying process.

Since you mentioned being blinded when downrange from the light. I never personally tried this but thought it was a good idea. If you wet sand just the edge of your DX aspheric with fine emery paper and then paint the edge flat black (like a camera lens), it will help eliminate the "aspheric ring". Also flat black flock paper on the inside of the heatsink will help with the spill that doesn't contribute to the big square. I'm not sure how flock paper will react to the high temperature. Flat black spray paint is almost as effective as flock paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Combs View Post
    Somewhere I saw a thread where a guy made his own switch cover to allow the use of LED's in the switch while maintaining water tight integrity. Sorry I didn't save it. Basically he made a two piece mold of the original switch cover from candle wax.
    Actually we also did this, but instead using wax, we made one out of aluminium.
    http://twitgoo.com/1s0doy
    But since we used 2k silicone to fill the mold, the resulting cap is quiet soft and it's a bit complicated to keep it in place over the switch.

Talking Re: Finally finished: Aspheric SST-90 3D Mag-Lite

Almost getting sad. Trying to collect knowledge n order to build my own Dive Light with sst-90, but can see it will properly just end up as ridiculous compared to this. It is absolutely fantastic. God job.

Unenlightened

absolutely amazing. I was just mucking around trying to find some info to help with selection of a new edc, and i found ?!THIS!? I honestly had no idea people were doing things like this. i think I'm going to have to build my own, would you be willing to help with component selection, schematics, or better yet. just sell me one?

keep up the good work.

Flashaholic*

Very impresive. As you say, it is a lot easier to understand the theory of drivers than to actually build one. I know that one first hand.
    Homebuilts - "BREEZE" RCR2 sidexside, "Tornado" 4 x 18650 side x side, Streamlight SL20x LED module (Custom BST Feeler Thread)

You make me feel dumb.

That is just fantastic, well done.

Buttrock Re: Finally finished: Aspheric SST-90 3D Mag-Lite

HOLY COW!

That light is amazing . The thought and skills are a cut above nice job .

This is awesome. I would love to see a build thread on that buck regulator...but would completely understand if you choose not to.

Any binning info on that sst-90. I'm loving the color on it. I also love the beamshot to the tower, wicked.

We used a SST-90 WM-DE 2250lm @ 9A.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokoff View Post
    THAT'S SICK!
    Thats exactly what i thought when i saw that!!!!
    Quark 123^2 Turbo: Quark 123^2 Tactical S2: Quark 123 Tactical S2: Quark 123^2 NW Regular: Fenix PD30 R2: Fenix L2D Q5: Solarforce L2 w/ Nailbender SST-90 drop-in: Incendio v2: Inova X1: Robert's Custom EDC: HDS Ra Clicky 140E w/ blk SS bezel

in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)

This picture is beautiful... can you explain it? (How you did it, what we're looking at, is it a long exposure shot?) Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Techjunkie View Post
    This picture is beautiful... can you explain it? (How you did it, what we're looking at, is it a long exposure shot?) Thanks
    That photo piqued my interest as well. I'm looking forward to the answers to your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Techjunkie View Post
    The EXIF header says it's a 15 second exposure. I think he's walking towards the camera with the light in his right hand, while swinging it from side to side in front of him. That accounts for the trails on the ground that are slightly tilted with respect to the path. The "ropes" in the air are the camera's line of sight view of the reflection from the inside of the aspheric bezel.

It's a great shot, however he did it.

The EXIF header says it's a 15 second exposure. I think he's walking towards the camera with the light in his right hand, while swinging it from side to side in front of him. That accounts for the trails on the ground that are slightly tilted with respect to the path. The "ropes" in the air are the camera's line of sight view of the reflection from the inside of the aspheric bezel.

It's a great shot, however he did it.
    Almost correct.
    Alexander (samotronta05) had to walk backwards (away from the camara), because otherwise his legs would appear in the photo.

Here are some full Res pictures:

cell phone tower

control shot

SST-90 Beam

Some Lightpainting...

with the SST-90

With the SSC-P7

And for all speedfreaks an Autobahn gif

Greetings from Germany
    Patrick

Thanks for letting us know. Do you have a hi-res shot of Alex walking backwards? That is a great shot.

Speechless - Bluetooth control of a flashlight! Who would have thought? Fantastic -

Thanks for letting us know. Do you have a hi-res shot of Alex walking backwards? That is a great shot.
    Here we go: Klick (3,61MB)

And since you liked them so much a few other lightpaintings, even if they are not the best and i'm not sure whether we made them with the SST-90 or SSC-P7.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast