Need advice on new headlamp

thom1960

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to buy a new headlamp for deer hunting. Was thinking Minimus, but am concerned it won't be throwy enough. I use reflective tacks on trees in the woods to mark trails, and want to make sure I don't miss one, or I could be stumbling around aimlessly till the sun comes up! One light that has caught my eye is the H31. I like the form, and it seems to put out plenty of light. Any thoughts on quality or effectiveness for my needs?

srfreddy

Enlightened
I am looking to buy a new headlamp for deer hunting. Was thinking Minimus, but am concerned it won't be throwy enough. I use reflective tacks on trees in the woods to mark trails, and want to make sure I don't miss one, or I could be stumbling around aimlessly till the sun comes up! One light that has caught my eye is the H31. I like the form, and it seems to put out plenty of light. Any thoughts on quality or effectiveness for my needs?

The H51w uses AA's, and isn't much larger. Their UI is great. The lumen output is pretty decent, and will make the minimus look like...well, a minimus. If you "Need" more output, the Sparks are good too, but I prefer Zebralights.

thom1960

Newly Enlightened
Batteries isn't an issue. I currently have several Surefires, a Streamlight and a Fenix using 123's and have a couple dozen batteries on hand. I just want some assurance that it's a reliable, quality built light. If I do buy it and like it, I would probably buy an H31F when available and put it on the same strap for up close work while sitting in my tree stand. I saw someone on here do something similar and thought it was a good idea. Plus, I'd get to add to my light collection!

JA(me)S

Enlightened
I agree with srfreddy - specifically the "w" version; for tracking purposes the neutral tint makes red (and other colors) more easily defined. Nice quiet switch, and you'll use the moonlight mode more than you think...

edit - you posted before I did. With 123 on hand, I'd go with the H31w...

Last edited:

thom1960

Newly Enlightened
I thought about the W, but how much distance/brightness would I be giving up? I hate to admit it but walking in the woods in northern Minnesota in the dark can get pretty spooky!

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Negligible:
H31: H1 220 Lm
H31w: H1 189 Lm
H31F: H1 209 Lm
H31Fw: H1 180 Lm

edit - wasn't trying to confuse; although relative brightness is the same, the F versions wouldn't throw as far...

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
Just a few thoughts based on my personal experience ....

I don't hunt but I do love to hike so I've cursed my way through a few woods before... I have a ZL H31w and I know that ZLs are in vogue right now but I found it somewhat inadequate for my needs. The H31w works best in the woods for illuminating your path on the two highest setting and the lower setting you have to really close the light in on yourself because it doesn't project very well. Also since the light is so small it does heat up quite quickly. I still love my ZL though but luckily I had my Streamlight Argo HP with me because that thing throws like a champ compared to my H31w. Unfortunately it's bigger than a H31w but sometimes you have to make compromises...
Anyways, those are my thoughts on this issue ... my two favorite headlamps both fulfilling different and equally important roles.

thom1960

Newly Enlightened
Not to worried about the heat. It's pretty darn chilly in MN in November. Pretty much assured of it being below freezing for deer hunting. I guess the size and form is what i like the best. The ability to clip it on a pocket looks kinda neat. As far as output, I've been using an Energizer headlamp for years, so I would expect the H31 to blow it away.

electrothump

Enlightened
Go to Lowes, and check out a H7 from coast/ledlenser. It uses three AAAs, but it is very light weight, and is very bright. It's hands down the easiest headlight I've ever used. It has a flood to zoom lever, and lever for brightness. You can go full power to low, flood to zoom,,,, and back in about a second. No twist thru cycles, or click thru cycle junk to deal with. It also touts a 174 lumen output. I don't know if that is correct, but with primaries in it, it is a very bright light, and has good throw, as well as flood. I normally use rechargers in mine, unless I really need the extra brightness that comes from primaries. Best form factor I've dealt with yet. Hope this helps.

C.E.P.

Newly Enlightened
You need to check out the HL08 by FEREI.
It uses a rechargeable 18650 Li-ion that is charged with out taking the battery out, with car or home charger.
220 lumens with a range of 100 meters.
I use this light when I work late for FedEx and love it.
The low setting can be set at any power level, plus blinking.
You can get them for about $65.
Chris

thom1960

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a great light, but probably more than I need. Size and weight is a factor when hunting. I carry everything I need in my pockets, which can be quite full. I usually never walk more than 10-15 minutes in the dark in the A.M. and always leave before dark in the evening. Plus, the ZL H31 definately has the coolness factor going.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the LL H7 and a H31w. Indoor beamshot of H7 here, H31w forthcoming. It's been oft mentioned that warm/neutral lights help give better depth perception outdoors (especially among foilage) so perhpas that's something to keep in mind.

What's your time frame for purchase? I was thinking of grabbing some outdoor shots after my Pixa 3 arrives (mid-April) and can grab some comparo shots of the H31w against cooler tinted HL's for you.

Cheers,
Tim

srfreddy

Enlightened
The H7 will give you tunnel vision on throw, no throw on flood. A Spark ST6-500CW has higher output than the H31w, but is not yet availible in neutral.

thom1960

Newly Enlightened
No hurry. Deer hunting is in November. Actually expecting a package tomorrow from Going Gear. Used up my lighting budget for the month. Also as I stated earlier, I'd probably order an H31 and an H31F at the same time. I really like the looks of those ZL's! Is the fit and finish as good as the photos show?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a very satisfied H31 owner, I would recommend the headlamp without reservation. I would also advise the standard version over the warm version for your use, as the cooler tint gives better contrast in the natural environment. It should make the reflective tacks jump out better than the warmer tinted LED.

The quality is evident from the moment that you unpack the light. The machining is flawless, and the HAIII finish is perfect. The new ZebraLight UI is my favorite flashlight UI, and I am a KISS type of guy (I also have the ZebraLight SC30). Until I tried the H31 and SC30, the 3-level low, medium and high was as complicated as I wanted to deal with. I never read the UI directions, and figured it out in about a minute. The ability to select from two brightness levels for each of the L, M and H settings is awesome. I keep my lights programmed for the lowest of each setting, but having other levels available is really useful.

You will also like the accessories of the H31. I frequently use the pocket clip for evening walks with the family, clipping it to the button area of a polo shirt. The headband is comfortable for walking, biking or working in the attic. My only complaint about the headband is that the rubber holder is a little too loose. I use a large o-ring wedged into the bands to add some resistance, and it eliminates the movement. Other than that one negative, I am more than happy with this headlamp.

thom1960

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the suggestions and advise. I believe I'll be going with the H31 and H31F (when available) combo. To paraphrase the guy from the movie "Contact", Why buy 1 when you can buy 2 for twice the price!

thom1960

Newly Enlightened
Anyone hear when the H31F will be available? Zebralight website says back order...shipping March 31. Obviously they don't update website regularly.