SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: CUSTOM QUAD P60 XPG Drop-ins. Up to 1654 Lumen OTF!

Default CUSTOM QUAD P60 XPG Drop-ins. Up to 1765 Lumen OTF! S2 BIN AVAILABLE NOW!

Specs:

Single Li-Ion cell operation (2 cell configuration NOT acceptable)

Integrated emergency thermal shutdown.(Muilti-mode Only)

Reverse polarity protection. Upside down battery causes no harm. (Multi-mode only)

2KV ESD protection. Resistant to static shock from your fingers.

Mil-Spec teflon insulated oxygen free silver plated copper conductors.

Silver plated beryllium copper contact springs.

Highest P60 Output ever recorded, 1654 Lumen OTF.

Available Tint and Flux:

S2 Cool White 5700K

R4 Neutral 5000K (special order)

R4 Neutral 4000K

Q5 Warm 3000K

Available Driver Mode Configurations:

5 mode: Low - Med - High - Strobe - SOS
    3 mode: Low - Med - High
    3 mode: Low - High - Strobe
    2 mode: Low - High
    1 mode: High

Drive Levels

5.6A

S2 minmum LED flux calculated to 1900 lumens.

R5 minimum LED flux calculates to 1780 lumens.

R4 minumum LED flux calculates to 1665 lumens.

Q5 minumum LED flux calculates to 1370 lumens.

4.2A

R5 minimum LED flux calculates to 1450 lumens.

R4 minumum LED flux calculates to 1355 lumens.

Q5 minumum LED flux calculates to 1115 lumens.

Heatsink selection

Copper heatsink

C101 99.99% pure oxygen free copper thermal conductivity: 391 W/m · oK

99.9% pure silver plating thermal conductivity: 418 W/m · oK

LEDs directly mounted to silver plated copper surface. No MCPCB insulation layer. Lowest thermal resistance path possible without extremely exotic materials (e.g. diamond)

Aluminum heatsink

6061 T6 aluminum thermal conductivity: 167 W/m · oK (Heatsink)

Pure aluminum thermal conductivity: 220 W/m · oK (MCPCB)

Bare aluminum for best conduction of heat into host. MCPCB screw torqued to 32 in-lb. creating a clamping force of over 1000 lbs.

Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste applied between MCPCB and heatsink.

Optic Selection

Carclo Tight Optic: Brightest overall. Excellent "wall of light". Larger spot
    with good flood.

R5 Output
    Copper sink 5.6A = 1654 OTF lumen
    Copper sink 4.2A = 1357 OTF lumen*
    Aluminum sink 5.6A = 1489 OTF lumen*
    ALuminum sink 4.2A = 1278 OTF lumen*

Carclo Spot Optic: Between Carclo Tight and Khatod optic. More output but a
    sacrifce in beam shape compared to Khatod.

R5 Output
    Copper sink 5.6A = 1572 OTF lumen
    Copper sink 4.2A = 1290 OTF lumen*
    Aluminum sink 5.6A = 1418 OTF lumen*
    Aluminum sink 4.2A = 1214 OTF lumen*

Khatod optic: Tightest spot, most throw, more traditional flashlight beam from a
    multi LED engine. Less output than Carclo due to more collimation of the light.

R5 Output
    Copper sink 5.6A = 1404 OTF lumen
    Copper sink 4.2A = 1152 OTF lumen*
    Aluminum sink 5.6A = 1263 OTF lumen*
    Aluminum sink 4.2A = 1085 OTF lumen

*Projected OTF output based on measured OTF output

Warning:
    These light engines can be dangerous. If left unattended, one could get hot
    enough to cause a failure in the battery, resulting in a possible fire or
    explosion. Do not point light at eyes or skin. This is a very high power device.
    Do not run unattended. Thermal shutdown designed for emergency shutdown only.
    Always lock out tail-cap when not in use to avoid unintentional turn on. Only
    use High quality Li-Ion cells rated for the current draw of the light engine. No
    responsibility will be taken for any damage done, personal or punative, by the
    extreme power of these light engines. You agree to this upon purchasing one.

FETtie high current switch

Information Thread:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=296127

Introducing the ultimate high power tailcap switch for Z41 and FM26XXX hosts.

Designed as a suppliment to the P60 Quad drop-in, This switch's capabilities extend well beyond it's originally intended necessity.

With ANY Linearly regulated or Direct Drive light, this will reclaim power currently being eaten by your higher resistance switch/spring, and give you more current, and more lumens.

With ANY Buck, Boost, or Buck-Boost regulators, this will reclaim power currently being eaten by your higher resistance switch/spring, and provide longer runtimes.

How does it work?

The FETtie uses a solid state semiconductor, a MOSFET. Essentially a relay, with no moving parts, which is turned on by the clicky switch. The Clicky switch itself only conducts 100 nanoamps, that's 0.0000001A, to activate the semiconductor. This means the clicking mechanism will last nearly forever, as the electrodes will not wear from arcing.

The FETtie uses a small coin battery, 1216 size. You do not need to worry about this battery becoming depleated however. It's like the battery in a watch, it will last for many years. Even being left on, the switch will draw less current from the coin cell than it's self discharge rate

Specifications:

Current - 25A+

Voltage - 20V MAX

0.0034 ohm Rds(on) MOSFET resistance

Beryllium copper spring, Pure silver plated for extra conductivity, 24K gold
    plated contact area.

Gold plated contacts from the FETtie to host.

Threaded brass body

Panasonic 1216 coin cell included

Here are some graphs to illustrate the difference in output using a FETtie vs. a McClicky at 4.2A These results would be much more profound at 5.6A and above.

Review and OTF measurements done by Run4jc:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ew-photo-heavy!

Pricing

$165 for 4.2A Aluminum sink, any modes, any optic.
    $190 for 5.6A Aluminum sink, any modes, any optic.

$285 for 4.2A Copper sink, Khatod optic, any mode. Carclo optic +$10
    $310 for 5.6A Copper sink, Khatod optic, any mode. Carclo optic +$10
    (Carclo optic is smaller, therefore there is more silver/copper used and thus the extra $10)

$48 for FETtie switch

Special order R4 5000K LEDs incure an extra $15 charge because I do not buy them in bulk, and receive no discount that I can pass on down.

All drop-ins ship with a Q-tip and some Artic Silver 5 thermal paste to apply to your host drop-in socket for maximum heat transfer and maxmium peformance from your drop-in.

Please take extra care when handling the exposed optic. Mishandling of the optic can decrease output. Never directly touch the optical surface with bare hands if optimal output is desired.

Shipping

USA standard, $10, no tracking, no insurance.
    USA Expediated, $25 with tracking number and insurance.

Canada standard, $15, no tracking, no insurance.
    Canada Expediated, $25 with tracking number and insurance.

International standard, $15, no tracking, no insurance.
    International EMS express is $65+, PM if interested.

Custom built upon ordering. Usual build time is 3-5 days.
    Last edited by VanIsleDSM; 10-26-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Default Re: CUSTOM QUAD P60 XPG Drop-ins. Up to 1654 Lumen OTF!

If you expressed interest to be on this new list some time ago and I have forgotten, just let me know and I'll put you down in place.

For those who have already paid when the old Khatod only optic thread was active, your Quads are nearly done, but you can still switch to a Carclo optic if you'd like.

YES!!!! VanIsle, so glad to see this thread up. After reading your description of the optics, I'd like to request the carclo tight optic for mine. "wall of light". Thanks in advance. Any idea of an e.t.a. for completion. I understand that eta is just that, estimated! Thanks again

Also, can I change my shipping to expedited + insured w/tracking. I will send the difference in paypal.
    Last edited by no-knock; 03-29-2011 at 03:24 PM.

I'll take L-M-H R5 5.6A R5 Carclo Tight Aluminum + FETtie
    Follow on Twitter: @Cryos_

I would like a 5.6A L-M-H R5 copper, with Carclo tight optic + FETtie.
    Last edited by brandocommando; 03-29-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Hello, I was wondering if we could purchase you're FETtie switch without also buying a drop-in as well. I didn't see anything saying both needed to be bought together in this sales thread.

If they are available for individiual purchase PayPal will be sent faster than you can save 15% or more on your car insurance by switching to geico.

I would move to the Carlco tight optic if possible.

hi jesse. i was also wondering if the FETtie was available seperate?
    Last edited by hron61; 03-30-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Hi Jesse,

I'll take a 5.6A Aluminum, R5, Carclo Tight,L-M-H + 2 FETtie.
    PM sent.

Thanks

Hey Jesse,

Just saw this thread. I think you know what I want but here is the recipe. Can't wait to get it! This is it baby, I'll never have to buy another drop-in after this.

5.6A copper, Carclo Plain Tight, R4 5000K neutral, 2-mode L-H, FETie, standard US shipping: $393

Wilkey

for

5.6A Aluminum, R5, Carclo Tight,L-M-H + 2 FETtie.

Very interested in the FETtie switch, so if available separately: I'm in

Hi Jesse,

I was wondering if you had the curves for 5.6A operation. I wanted to take a more detailed look at the performance at 4.2A and so I added some drop-lines to your graphs. Here they are; AW 2600mAh silver label cells first, then AW 1600mAh IMR cells. The interesting observation is that the IMR cells hold regulation for only 1 minute less than the SL cells even though they have <62% of their capacity. This is the benefit of the lower internal resistance. Where the greater capacity of the SL cells win out is time to drop to 2.5A delivered current, an arbitrary point after commencement of the final precipitous drop. The time to drop to 2.5A was about 41 minutes versus 20 minutes, >100% improvement.

So, this had me wondering what would these curves look like for the 2900mAh cell against the IMR at 5.6A. I'd guess that the 2900 would be delivering at regulation for about the same duration as the IMR, but probably slightly less. Both cells would see their in-regulation plateaus shortened with a corresponding reduction in total run time to 2.5A.

Thus, these curves tell me that at 4.2A, there is little benefit to going with the IMR cells except perhaps cell longevity. Since the current in the 5.6A units is a full one-third higher, and quite a few folks (including yours truly) opt for it, it might be illuminating to see those curves a well.

Wilkey

I'll take one, pm sent

Unenlightened

What is the normal wait time for the P60 Drop-ins when orderd.

List updated.

If you get in on this run, the wait time will be only a few days. I have the 3 copper modules done, just waiting for the new carclo optics to arrive, which should be any day. I have have 4 aluminum drop-ins complete, also waiting for the optics.

I have 1 more copper carclo heatsink, 2 more carclo aluminum sinks, and 1 more khatod aluminum sink ready to made into a custom drop-ins. Everything should ship this week.

Unfortunately I don't have any graphs for the 5.6A unit. To get those numbers I had to build a specific drop-in with it's LED supply wires looping out so I could measure the current at the LEDs with a high resolution clamp meter. This was the only way to get an accurate measurement of current between different switches.

As of now the FETie is still only available with purchase of a drop-in. I just don't have the time to build enough of them otherwise. I keep thinking that I'll eventually have some extras to sell off, but then people buying drop-ins sometimes pick up 2, 3, or even 5. Hopefully I will be able to get a few extras soon.

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleDSM View Post
    I have the 3 copper modules done, just waiting for the new carclo optics to arrive, which should be any day. Everything should ship this week.
    Sweet news indeed! Especially with my birthday coming up this weekend. I. Can't. Wait. This will take a little of the sting out of having my white 6P stolen.

Wilkey

Quote Originally Posted by Ginseng View Post
    This will take a little of the sting out of having my white 6P stolen.
    Sorry to hear that. How could that happen?

Jesse, I just sent you another PM, I am ready to pay but can't find your payment info..?

Unenlightened

I want to buy this setup, 5.6A copper, Carclo Plain Tight, R4 5000K neutral, 3 mode: Low - Med - High, FETie, Expediated US shipping: $408.00.
    But I only have two post and I dont know how I can contact you to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by tuelleric View Post
    Sorry to hear that. How could that happen?
    Left it in my hotel room while traveling. Called in about an hour later and though the room wasn't made up, the torch was gone. Should have filed a police report. Might have motivated hotel desk management to be a bit more inquisitive about its whereabouts.

Wilkey

Hey Jessie, or anybody else in the know about these... Can I run this in a Surefire C3 on 3 primaries? Or would a C2 on an 18650 be better... I have an extra one of each body and am tring to decide which to sell..

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisdm View Post
    Hey Jessie, or anybody else in the know about these... Can I run this in a Surefire C3 on 3 primaries? Or would a C2 on an 18650 be better... I have an extra one of each body and am tring to decide which to sell..
    No, it would .

"Single Li-Ion cell operation (2 cell configuration NOT acceptable)"
    The Captains lights
    + PLEASE PM ME IF YOU SEE BROKEN PICS. IM TRYING TO FIX THEM. +

Single cell only

Chrisdm, to better answer answer your question, no you should not attempt to run this dropin off primary cells (in any configuration.) The current draw (amps) is way too high and the batteries cannot handle the load. Also, the dropin itself has a maximum input voltage rating... If you put 2 CR123's together end to end (this is called "in series") you now have 6V instead of 3V. If you put 3 CR123's together in series, you get 9V.
    This would be way more volts than what the dropin is rated for.
    To get past the current draw and capacity issues this dropin presents, many people are running these off of a newer high capacity "26650" cell. These offer the voltage of a single Li-Ion cell, but with a little more capacity, and better max current draw ratings.
    A popular 26650 host can be seen HERE. (What I'm using.) Another benefit to using this host aside from it using a bigger battery, is that the host itself is bigger, providing even more heatsinking.
    And a good battery choice to go along with this host is THESE. (What I'm using also.)

EDIT: Chrisdm, also I see you have the 5.6 Amp version ordered... If you decide to run this on an 18650 setup, only use a very high quality 18650. Your dropin will be pulling down between 5-6 amps on high, which is ALOT. (This is nearing the max current draw limit of even the best 18650's.)
    Cheap batteries do not like this much current draw and could "vent with flame." Which I am sure is not what you're after.
    The 26650's that I posted the link to have a 10A normal discharge current rating, and a 20A max continous discharge rating, much better for this application.
    Last edited by brandocommando; 04-13-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Flashaholic

Hey Jesse,

since you don't respond to my PMs anymore, I'll just try to get your attention here. It would be very nice of you to tell me, what's actually happening now. No package arrived here after 6 weeks. I think it's pretty safe to say the package is lost and you should ask canada post for a refund. If they won't refund you anything we have to work something else out, but most important for me is that we finally work something out. I paid for the drop-in in february...

Regards still patient LichtAn!
    Last edited by LichtAn!; 04-14-2011 at 06:59 AM.

I ended up getting the optics on Friday, I thought it would be sooner. I had a pretty busy weekend but I did manage to get everything together and shipped out this morning!

LichtAn, I don't know what happened, but I have responded to your last couple of PMs. I told you that there is no refund from Canada post, there is no insurance. I wanted to go through all the steps to find it with them, because building a new one for you will come right out of my pocket, but it does looks like it's in limbo somewhere at this point.

I asked in the PM what your configuration was, so I can build you a new one. This will be the only drop-in I will replace that has been lost with no-insurance shipping, as I just cannot afford to do that if it happens again. I've sent out about 80 drop-ins now, with this, the only one being lost, so no insurance shipping isn't a huge risk, but for future customers, please choose insured shipping if you're concerned about this. Unfortunately, for shipments outside US and Canada, the cheapest way I can insure it is with the E.M.S. shipping which is $60+, there is just nothing I can do about this. Getting UPS or FEDEX involved just brings in all kinds of brokerage fees and such for crossing borders.

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleDSM View Post
    I had a pretty busy weekend but I did manage to get everything together and shipped out this morning!
    Best. News. Ever.

Wilkey

Hey guys, before I bug Jessie about this, I want to ask the guys that own this drop-in.. I just got mine today and I can only get it to light up intermittently. It worked for a while, after I got just the right combination of torque on the tailcap & bezel.. but the combination was lost and I can't get it to light up again... I am using a C2 body with AW 18650 battery, Cryos Cooling Bezel and Z41 tailcap with a FETtie installed... I don't have lots of experience with this stuff but I have installed a few cheap drop-ins before and never had this much challenge.. Yet I suppose its just some trick I'm not catching and hoping you guys can point it out to me... Thanks!

You might be tripping the protection circut on your battery, 5.6A is alot of current. After that, it may be that the FETtie is non making a good connection with the tailcap, or the spring is too short and not touching the battery (maybe add a washer but be careful with that FETtie, they are expensive and fragile!) Screw everything in tight, and make sure the tailcap is screwed on to the body as far as it can go. If the spring is not long enough to hit the battery, you could also add a thin magnet.

Jesse, AWESOME NEWS!!! I had a feeling that is what you were up to this weekend!! Thanks!

Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast