Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: CUSTOM QUAD P60 XPG Drop-ins. Up to 1654 Lumen OTF!

Hey Jessie-
    I'm saving up for a copper 5.6a & I was wondering if the XP-E used the same optics as XP-G

Also wondering if they throw a wee bit more. Has anyone done a lux comparison of the two?

Default Re: CUSTOM QUAD P60 XPG Drop-ins. Up to 1654 Lumen OTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginseng View Post
    Hey Jesse,
    Just saw this thread. I think you know what I want but here is the recipe. Can't wait to get it! This is it baby, I'll never have to buy another drop-in after this.
    5.6A copper, Carclo Plain Tight, R4 5000K neutral, 2-mode L-H, FETie, standard US shipping: $393
    Wilkey
    Hey Jesse,
    Just wanted to let you know that your engine in a C2 has been my EDC since I received it and it has performed wonderfully. I thought I could share this picture that shows off the raw power of this drop-in. I had it in my Ripoffs CO-63 holster and accidentally activated the FETie-equipped clicky while plopping down into my driver's seat wearing a bulky jacket. Well, a few minutes later, I smell something burny and started to feel my hip getting hot. It turned out that the light activated on high and had heated up the steel belt clip enough so that I could feel it through my jeans. And it did this to the inside of the holster, the flap that covers the front of the flashlight. It melted right through the 400 denier nylon pack cloth and and the poly padding underneath!

So I guess my point is, when you wrote this in your opening post, you weren't kidding. I would also note that even with the damage that was done, the drop-in itself did not trigger thermal shutdown. This is one helluva testament to the value of that massive chunk of copper as the heat sink. Now if anyone ever asks if an LED can burn stuff, here's the proof that it can.

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleDSM View Post
    Warning:
    These light engines can be dangerous. If left unattended, one could get hot
    enough to cause a failure in the battery, resulting in a possible fire or
    explosion. Do not point light at eyes or skin. This is a very high power device.
    Do not run unattended. Thermal shutdown designed for emergency shutdown only.
    Always lock out tail-cap when not in use to avoid unintentional turn on. Only
    use High quality Li-Ion cells rated for the current draw of the light engine. No
    responsibility will be taken for any damage done, personal or punative, by the
    extreme power of these light engines. You agree to this upon purchasing one.
    Wilkey

Hi Bud
    PP sent
    Thx
    Sion

Hello! Been looking at these for a while and it is time to place an order.

I will send PayPal for the following. Please provide me with your PayPal address.

• R4 Neutral (4000K) Quad
    • 5.6A
    • Copper Sink
    • L-M-H 3 Mode driver
    • Khatod Optic
    • FETtie switch

Thanks,

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post

I will send PayPal for the following. Please provide me with your PayPal address.
    • 5.6A
    • Copper Sink
    • L-M-H 3 Mode driver
    • Khatod Optic
    • FETtie switch

Thanks,

-Rich
    Wow, does no one want my money??!

I think Jesse must be out of town.
    I haven't heard back from him either.
    Usually he's quick to respond.
    Hope all is well!

VanisleDsm sold me a quad and I have never taken it out of my pocket
    Anybody that sees the light on full blast is ALWAYS asking me where I bought it.
    He is an honest seller too, he might be a lil busy at the moment but it is definatly worth the wait...

Quote Originally Posted by DaGreenLantern View Post
    VanisleDsm sold me a quad and I have never taken it out of my pocket
    Anybody that sees the light on full blast is ALWAYS asking me where I bought it.
    Wow, sounds like a close-up inspection.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Wow, does no one want my money??!
    Its OK to post your order here but you should also send your order to him in a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morelite View Post
    Its OK to post your order here but you should also send your order to him in a PM.
    Thanks. I did send him a PM as well when I placed my order in this thread.

@Kestrel.. Sorry i dont understand what u mean by ---> "wow,sounds like a closeup inspection"

Sorry for my absence this week guys. I've been deathly ill. I'm back on my feet now though!

Chris and Bugsy, you fellas are most welcome. Glad you're happy!

RichS, I didn't receive any PM from you, not sure what happened there, PMing you right now, sorry again for the wait, but you wouldn't have wanted me building your drop-in in the state I was in, believe me!
    Last edited by VanIsleDSM; 12-09-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Jesse is a great manufacturer and seller and makes products of very high quality. I now have 3 Quads and 3 FETties installed in a Cooly , FiveMega and a SF C2. One of these Quads even survived a "nasty accident" involving components it was not engineered to deal with!
    My very bad!!!
    Jesse's products is absolutely to be recomended.

• 5.6A
    • Copper Sink
    • L-M-H 3 Mode driver
    • Khatod Optic
    • FETtie switch

Thanks,

-Rich
    Sorry, will need to put a hold on this order for now funds are a little tighter as Christmas gets closer...

Looking forward to your results with the XP-E

Was also thinking u might want to try quad XP-C!!

Not sure how they would work with the current optics.

Might be awesome tho.

I'm sitting here playing around with the 5.6 amp low/high S2 pill. I've been wanting to use this one for about 2 months but haven't gotten a 26650 host yet. So today I put it in the Solarforce L2m with a FETtie switch. With the single IMR 18350 i'm getting 0.35 and 3.42 amp readings with low/high and .32 and 3.24 with the AW 3100 18650. Big disclaimer the meter has 30 inches of skinny wires too measures current through. Compared to a triple xm-l powered by a 26650 I have the beams look almost the same. I know the IMR 18350 was never meant to run at such loads so I'm keeping run times under 10 seconds so far. Looking forward to running this and the Septa on a TNC 26650 V3 host soon, thanks for this great quad.

Hi Texas Cop,

You can also use an IMR 18650 if you have a Surefire host. To test current properly you'll need a high resolution clamp type meter with a thick wire at the tail cap. These clamp type meters have come down in price a lot in the last few years and are now quite affordable, and very useful.

The IMR18350 has a max discharge of exactly 5.6A, so I wouldn't think it necessarily unsafe to use, but I also wouldn't expect much runtime either!

If you missed the post in the Septa thread, I have just now completed the Multi-Mode version and it is available for sale. 3340 Lumen with the S2 LED! Sales thread will be up soon, you can PM if you don't wish to wait. $450 for Single Mode, $480 for Multi-Mode.

Flashaholic

Curious with the range of voltage taken for multi-mode Septa. Still within 4.2 volt ?

Congrats on getting the septa to market Jesse! Now I have a new part on my must have list!!
    Surefire 18650 Bored Hosts & Cerakote!
    I am visually impaired please excuse my typos =P

I've been waiting for the Septa multi mode to drop that or your 5.6 Quad.. Sending you a PM now..

Doing a bit more playing around, it mounts and works well under a shotgun. At 4.1" long in the L2m it'll fit under a few pistols of mine, just not brave enough to try it out. Handgun shock is a bit more than shotguns, I'm just not brave enough to hope it survives the jolt. Single imr 18350 appears a bit brighter than the AW 18650 3100. Running 2-3 minutes on high at a time it only gets warm.

I still think a quad neutral XP-C @5.6a would be awesome.

I'll bug u about building me one in a few months once I save some $ up

I've had some of my PMs disappear on me, and have been told that some of the PMs I returned have disappeared as well. If you were expecting a reply through PM and did not receive one please PM me again.

Fabienne, the Multi-Mode Septa is still maximum 4.5V, for single cell use only.

Thanks Bugsy!

Sounds good MrSypher, whenever you're ready.

Texas Cop, I know that the drop-in and FETtie both survive well on psychbeat's handlebars as he hurls down a mountain. Been a long time since I used to do the same, and nowhere near as intense I'm sure, but I can tell you there's sure a lot of shock and vibration going on no matter how much travel your suspension has!
    I wouldn't be worried to try it out. If anything ever fails I'd gladly fix it, free of charge.

psychbeat, unfortunately the XP-C is only rated to 500mA. I wonder how long it'll be until we have an XP-C sized LED die making S2 bin light output @1.5A. Then we'll have some serious throw on a quad!

Everyone (well saabluster and Nailbender) are running XP-C @ 1.7a w no problem.

Might be worth a try!

If you're interested I will build you one, but I think it'd be much better off at a moderate overdrive of 700mA, or 1A at the most. At 1.4A the voltage of the LED will be very high. I'd be quite surprised to see anything much over 1A from a single Li-Ion cell.

The forward current vs luminous flux curve also looks like it would be almost flat near 1.7A.

The thermal resistance of a white XP-C is 12C/W. At 1.7A * 3.8V = 6.46W * 12 = 77.52C. If you add 1.5 C/W for the MCPCB you get 95.52C. This means the LED die will be 95.52C hotter than the heatsink! If the heatsink is room temp at 21C your LED die is at 116.52C, as soon as your heatsink heats up to 50 or 60C, which is completely normal and pretty quick with a 20W+ P60 drop-in, you're over the 150C junction temp.

You could use one at that current in short bursts with a single die P60, but it still wouldn't get full current from a single cell. It would need a buck driver driven from 5+ Volts. For anything longer than a short burst you'd want a direct mount to a large piece of copper and never allow the heatsink to go over 30C.

Hmm I'll have to do more research.
    I thought the VF went down with more current/heat?

Maybe the XP-E is a better choice still for slightly improved throw in a quad. I thought the XP-C performed similarly to the XP-E but smaller n more lux.
    I think the DEFT EDC's is direct to copper w no star.
    The Nailbenders are on star tho.

Have you built an XP-E quad yet?

FETtie is still going strong after a TON of night riding this winter.
    Drop-in is holding up well too!!
    I superglued the optic back on after pulling it off accidentally on a swap.

Vf goes down with heat, but up with current.

Maybe the XP-C performs better in tests than the datasheet would have you believe. I haven't done any myself so I can't say for certain.

For adhesive around LEDs silicone is your best bet. The solvents in superglue can put a haze on the LED domes as it off-gases, for future reference.

I haven't had an order for an XP-E quad yet, but I am putting together an XP-E Septa for someone right now.

Flashaholic

Does anyone have outside medium to long range beam shots???

What would the pros/cons be for an XP-E Septa vs XP-E Quad?
    Lux Defensor

Quote Originally Posted by Bullyson View Post
    Does anyone have outside medium to long range beam shots???
    Here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...uad-and-SST-50
    or here
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ody-Night-quot
    It's so wierd, in the first set it looks like the Kenji triple outperforms the Van quad But then on the second set the Kenji Quad performs on par with the Van quad.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast