Foxfury Scout
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: CUSTOM QUAD P60 XPG Drop-ins. Up to 1654 Lumen OTF!

Default Re: CUSTOM QUAD P60 XPG Drop-ins. Up to 1654 Lumen OTF!

I was wondering which of the 5.6 a drop-ins, does the Al get hot faster than the Cu? Do they have equivalent run times?
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

Paypal sent for one 5.6A Quad R5 3 mode (L/M/H) Aluminum with Khatod and twisty spring.
    Thanks, chuck614

Hi, VanIsleDSM,

Could you pm me your PP account for the following order:

5.6, R5 Cool white 6200K
    3 mode: Low - Med - High
    Copper Heatsink
    Carclo Tight Optic
    1x Fettie Switch
    ship internationally
    + another Fettie (08/12/2011) Paypal sent.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by dkman; 08-15-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: add Fettie + another Fettie

PM sent
    Thanks!

Thanks for the orders!

scottyhazzard, Copper has 50% more thermal capacity than aluminum, therefore it will heat up more slowly, as it can hold more heat. The silver/copper drop-in also has over twice the thermal conductance as the aluminum. The 3rd, and most important advantage to the silver/copper version, is that the LEDs are directly soldered to the copper heatsink thermally, they aren't soldered to a premade MCPCB (metal core printed circuit board) that uses a thin insulated layer to insulate the electrical connections, and therefore unfortunately also the thermal connections, from the metal part of the MCPCB. This insulation layer is usually about 2C/W, which means that an LED running at ~5 Watts, as the LEDs on the 5.6A drop-in do, they will automatically be subjected to 5W x 2C/W = 10C higher temperature than the metal core of the board. There is also the junction of the MCPCB and the heatsink, which isn't insulated, and on the aluminum version the board is clamped with over 1000lbs of force with arctic silver 5 thermal compound in between, but it still can't quite compare so a solid 1 piece heatsink.

In short, yes, the aluminum will get hotter, faster than the copper, and therefore the copper will be able to run longer on high, and maintain more output at any given temperature, because it has a path of less thermal resistance to ambient than does the aluminum version.
    Last edited by VanIsleDSM; 07-30-2011 at 01:30 PM.

I'm just curious what do you do to electrically isolate the solder connections on the bottom when you solder it to the copper?

Morelite, The electrical connections on the silver/copper drop-in are made on a 0.4mm thick FR4 PCB board. The Thermal connections protrude up from the heatsink through a slot cut in the FR4 board to make thermal contact.

"In short, yes, the aluminum will get hotter, faster than the copper, and therefore the copper will be able to run longer on high, and maintain more output at any given temperature, because it has a path of less thermal resistance to ambient than does the aluminum version."

Darn, thought I was on to a less spendy way to get "The Light". Thanks for the simple explanation- didn't hurt at all. I find out about my raise on Tuesday. Crossing fingers & toes.
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

Unenlightened

Jesse, received my light and everything is great, love the R4 5000K tint. Worth the wait, thanks.

Just received my Surefire C2 bored host and Z58 TC. Can someone please point me to directions on how to deconstruct the TC? Is it the same procedure as the Z41 when upgrading to a McClicky, either punch out from the boot side or pull the internals out with a needle nose? I want to get the TC ready for the FETtie when it finally ships.

man I can't wait for mine to get here

Jesse:

I scanned the thread and another, but I cannot find a post addressing this question:

Is insertion of the FETie switch as simple as replacing a McClicky module (i.e. will any tail with a McClicky fit the FETie switch without modification)?

Thanks for your time,
    obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

The FETtie switch has a larger diameter and does not replace all McClicky switches just those with an adapter ring in C-series hosts like FM's 26650 hosts and TNC's new Ti 18650 host.

Thanks. I have to wait to see, but I think the host I am going to receive in a week has such an adapter ring. Gosh I hope so.

I have TNC 123 version of their P60 host, but I don't think an 18350 battery is ideal for this drop in.

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Received my Quad today
    Thanks!

Hi Jesse,

PM Sent!

Thanks,

Jtruck

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by emu124 View Post

Received my Quad today
    Thanks!
    Jesse,
    Does this mean I can expect a delivery soon? Thanks.
    barry

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Jesse,
    Does this mean I can expect a delivery soon? Thanks.
    barry
    barry, I bet there's a Cryos head waiting for your Quad?
    It's a perfect team. Hope you'll receive it soon

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by emu124 View Post
    barry, I bet there's a Cryos head waiting for your Quad?
    It's a perfect team. Hope you'll receive it soon
    emu124,
    (No intent to drift off topic.) You are correct about the Cryos bezels. I have both the black and natural (gray) Cryos bezels waiting and just need to decide which to use for the quad. I've been collecting possible hosts as well. The difficult part will be deciding what to put together as a worthy host for this "over the top" drop-in. Thanks.
    barry

Has anyone who's received this Quad done any runtime tests with various cells? I'm planning on using this with a bored C2 host and a Redilast P18650 3100. If that's not enough "gas in the tank" I'll have to reconsider a larger single cell host for the Quad.

indadark, Redilast 18650 2900mA / 3000mA / 3100mA works fine with both (4.2A and 5.6A) Quads.

Have you noticed the runtime graphs in the OP ?

Thanks Emu, completely missed that. Seems Tapatalk for IPad truncates long posts and Tapatalk for iPhone does the same but provides a link to expand the post. Since I've been using Tapatalk for iPad exclusively when I'm at home I've been only getting portions of a lengthy original post!

I guess I can expect ~12-15m on high @ 5.6a with the 3100? That should be fine since I expect use mostly the L-M modes and use high for those WTF moments when I want impress friends.
    Last edited by indadark; 08-04-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Got my quad and FETtie in today Jesse. Ridiculously bright... Thanks a bunch man.

Can anyone compare this drop in with the overready triple xpg?

Quote Originally Posted by simplec6 View Post
    Can anyone compare this drop in with the overready triple xpg?
    +1
    But with out door beamshots! My bet is on the VID Quad. Any word yet on the septa multiple mode?

I can do a few outdoor beamshots comparing the oveready triple cool vs. the quad warm 4000k. They are different temps, but it might give an general comparison. Would that be helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by pee10755 View Post
    I can do a few outdoor beamshots comparing the oveready triple cool vs. the quad warm 4000k. They are different temps, but it might give an general comparison. Would that be helpful?
    I would very much appreciate that! I'll be waiting and watching the thread.

Hi - I would like to purchase the following Quad drop in for my bored (18650) SF C2 or Z2 (i haven't decided which one I'm going to use yet) I have a oveready cryos cooling bezel and a triad hard press tc waiting for your drop in. I am new to CPF and I have no idea how to install the Fettie switch, so if you have any instructions; or can point me in the right direction, that would be great. If there are any other available options that you suggest, that would be great. Please send me you Paypal info and any other additional payment instructions. Thanks so much, and I'm so excited!!! I hope all is well.

Dan Bleznak
    dbleznak
    dbleznak@gmail.com

5.6, R5 Cool white 6200K
    3 mode: Low - Med - High
    Copper Heatsink
    Carclo Tight Optic
    1x Fettie Switch
    CONUS expedited shipping

Scotty,

I hope these help you.

The Van Quad is a 5.6a alum three mode in 4000K. It is being run on a AW IMR with a stock surefire clicky switch. The Oveready is a triple cool high only run with a momentary surefire switch modified to a McClicky hardpress. It is being run on two AW 18500 cells. All batteries were freshly charged and the pictures taken at the moment the lights were turned on at a cool temp. The camera was set to all manual with a daylight white balance. I did a close series of the car which is about 7 yards from the camera and far series with the wooded area at the end of the street about 45 yards. Measurements are a best guess.

Lights

Close series

Van on low

Van on medium

Van on high

Oveready on high

Far Series

Van on low

Van on medium

Van on high

Oveready on high

There are several variable in these lights beyond the drop in... tint, host, batteries, switches, but I hope these shots are helpful to you.

The spacing of the modes on the quad is very well thought out. Low is good for paperwork and things within your reach, medium is a great general use amount of light, and high is monster flood. Switching modes as you use the light keeps the temp down and run time very respectable for a single cell light. Even with the warmer tint on the quad it is still putting out more overall light and has a slightly wider beam.
    Last edited by pee10755; 08-08-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Enlightened

pee10755,
    Very nice comparison. Thanks for the beamshots. By the way, I was told that the color temperature of the Oveready cool is around 5500K. It's interesting to see the beam color difference between the 5500K Oveready and the 4000K VanIsle. I was expecting your VanIsle to be more yellow/orange but the color looks really good to me.
    barry

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast