Acebeam
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap China HID aspheric mods?

Default Re: Cheap China HID aspheric mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekinorak View Post
    Just got a 65 Watt Ebay HID and allready have a 75mm aspherical from DX= Sku 43044. the 75mm seems to be a bit big(maby 1mm) i think someone with the rigth tools can make it fit.

Here is a picture:
    Will be able to mod the Asheric if it ever gets here week 3 from DX still looks like its sitting in china from the tracking info provided wish I knew why it takes so long to put a package in a plane or boat I mean it's a simple thing to do. That shold not take 3 weeks unlessyour crawling through chest high MUD for 100 miles
    The tracking says waiting for post to ship.

Enlightened

Tried it outside a little, i could barly focus the beam at all.

did you have to hold the lense in place or did you get it to fit also can you try and see if you need to hold the lense away from the bezel to focus it or if it need to set deeper in the head to focus

Joe

Enlightened

I could not focus the beam at all, and you will not be able to either. The flashlight came with a yellow lens, i could fit my aspherical in that and just strap it onto the flashligth, however it just gave my beam loads of articats and more spill.
    Im waiting for Trustfire X6 and ill be using the aspherical on that one
    Still the throw on this HID aint the worst considering a 3'' reflector. It outhrows my sst-50 thrower easily.

ok I assure you so long as the lense doesnt need to touch the bulb to focus I will get it to work. I have a mill and lathe as well as a foundry to cast the corrct extension if needed you saying you put the lense in the yellow filter to install it and get more spill that way says to me the lense needs to be closer to the bulb to focus. as that filter slips on over the head of the light thus putting the lense further from the bulb. Is this the case as best you can tell if so I will try to fit it inside the head rather then making a part to extend it. Also have you tried it without the reflector as you now they aren't made very well and having an Aspheric lense on with it may magnify the bad areas thus making artifacts. Please keep me informed.

On another note for seven11 I put an XM-L in the Kill light running on 2.8A shinning beam driver its for sure just as tight a hot spot and just a shade -dimmer now this is on 1 cell as soon as my ext comes in for the kill light I'll use 2 batteries Im sure its gonna be a nicer thrower with the XM-L will post Pics as soon as I get the ext

Joe
    Last edited by Throwjunkie; 04-18-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Enlightened

This is how i fitted the lens. As people said before you cannot focus a bulb that sends out light in the same matter as a led.

Quote Originally Posted by ma_sha1 View Post
    Been there, done that & it doesn't work.
    Alright, May be I should elaborate a bit more on this.

It won't work for several reasons:

1. Need to get rid of the parabola reflector, as the reflected parallel lights turns into artifacts through the lens.
    2. The glass pole on top of the arc chamber blocks the arc chamber's light path toward the lens.
    3. Even if you position the lamp side ways to allow a clear path between arc chamber the lens, You'll only collect 60 degree out of 360 light source, i.e 1/6 (17%) of the light, as HID bulb is 360 degree light source vs. led 120 degree. The Throw will be much less than a single reflector, which easily send >60% of the the light forward.

Technically, it can be done, just not as simple as placing lens over the bulb.
    The most common way is to use a elipical reflector that reflect the light to a second focal point
    ahead of the original arc chamber, then send it through the lens.

Last edited by ma_sha1; 04-19-2011 at 09:16 AM.
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12