Pistol opinion? XD 9mm / M&P 9 / Glock 17 / Sig Pro SP2022 ... in California :(

stockae92

Enlightened
Looking for opinion on pistol for home defense and target practice at the range, sadly in California so there are a lot of limitation. Here's what I am considering:

Glock 17: grip angle is a little unnatural to me. I haven't tried 19 yet. Since its smaller, it may fit differently?

Sig Pro SP2022: on sale for $399 @ turners. very tempting cause thats a good price for a sig, the grip seems a little big for my hand though.

XD 9mm: good fit for my hand and I like the idea of cocked indicator and the safety on the back of the grip. but the backstrap is not changeable.

M&P 9: good fit as well, and i like the idea of ambidextrous slide release, and the mag release can flip to the other side as well. and changeable backstrap means i can fine tune the fit.

so far i am leaning towards the M&P 9. but a sub $400 sig is again VERY tempting if I can manage to get a comfortable grip.

I am also considering compact vs service size. since CA has 10 rd limit on mag, mag compacity shouldn't be a big concern. The pistol won't be CCW, but its more for weight/handling and comfort.

shortstack

Enlightened
Re: Pistol opinion? XD 9mm / M&P 9 / Glock 17 / Sig Pro SP2022 ... in California :(

I would go with the M&P, i have a glock 10mm the handle is too big, even there other models are a little bigger, although u can get them reduced or get the slim line. Xd's are really good too, but the thing that does it for me is the interchangeable grips.

stockae92

Enlightened
Re: Pistol opinion? XD 9mm / M&P 9 / Glock 17 / Sig Pro SP2022 ... in California :(

thanks for the info. i ended up going with the XD 9. XDm would have been nice but is not CA approved :(

stockae92

Enlightened

picked up my XD 9 last week, now let the spending begins :p

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

In CA get what you can that gives you the legal 10 rounds, in the size/quality that works with that limitation. I think 45.

Bill

timtim2008

Newly Enlightened

what did you choose?

stockae92

Enlightened

I chose XD 9. I like:

- the ambidextrous mag release
- tragger safety
- grip safety
- cocked indicator

so far i have zero failure of any kind, i am happy about it. the accuracy is limited by the shooter instead of the capability of the pistol ... LOL :D

Imon

Enlightened

Bummer wish I saw this thread back when you first made it. I would have recommended either the Glock 19 or the M&P - both of which I own. Not that the XD (eXXXTREEEEEME duty, HS2000) isn't any good but I really believe that the G19 and M&P9 are better guns. They're both no-nonsense guns that are both lighter and slimmer than the XD, additionally the Gen.4 Glocks have a nice re-contoured grip. Also I really believe safeties on handguns are more psychologically pleasing than anything else. Guns just don't go off by themselves you need a person to pull the trigger. Most modern handguns have a firing pin block that prevents the handgun from discharging unless the trigger is pulled. If you own a Beretta PX4 or 92FS you can see the firing pin block in action move up and down in front of the rear sight as you pull the trigger. For guns like a Glock or the XD you can see the firing pin block on the underside of the slide when you field strip your guns.

Anyways, the real safeties are your brain and finger. If you have a good holster and practice good trigger discipline you should never have an accidental discharge. Additionally the Glock also has a cocked indicator ... it's when the trigger is forward. The last thing I want to say - I don't like all the "live round indicator" that manufacturers are sticking on guns always visually check your chamber I really think live round indicators promote bad habits.

stockae92

Enlightened

I did tried the Glock (26) and M&P 9.

I couldn't get comfortable with the Glock. And this is probably the problem of a sub-compact. but its just nothing felt right ... they seems like very reliable and will operate no matter what, that's a plus.

I do like the M&P 9. but the jointed tragger feels different than the XD. I am not saying its bad, but I guess its just different and probably need some getting used to. call me paranoid, but M&P's only external safety is the jointed tragger, which could be pressed to deactiviate the safet with the finger (or object) at the side of the tragger. i fully understand your finger is the best safety. but again, i am paraniod (e.g. getting the pistol out of the safe in an emergency and in a hurry, blah blah blah.) but the M&P 9 shot well and feel right. (except for the jointed tragger which need some getting used to)

but that's just me. everybody is different. :)