Malkoff

Thread: LED pistol light recommendation?

Default LED pistol light recommendation?

I am looking for recommendation on LED pistol light? The only one I am familiar of is the Surefire X300. What are some other good option?

I don't suppose they have pistol light that runs on AA

But is there any that runs on a single CR123? (for weight saving)
    Let there be light.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: LED pistol light recommendation?

You could get the Streamlight TLR-3.
    It actually runs on a CR2 not a CR123a but you can use a 15270 rechargeable Li-ion battery instead.
    Or... actually if I recall correctly 4Sevens sells them on their website for about $2 a pop. Not bad for CR2. At least it fulfills your weight saving requirement.

Enlightened

I run a TLR-3 on my Glock 23. Very bright and small. Barely longer than the barrel.

I've been pretty happy with my TLR-1, I'd certainly recommend one!

TLR-1 here on 226. What sucks is there are no good IWB holsters for it with the TLR1 on it.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by simplec6 View Post
    TLR-1 here
    +2

Not all pistols work correctly with every type of weaponlight, its best to check gun forums on what people use
    Whats your pistol make and model?

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    Not all pistols work correctly with every type of weaponlight, its best to check gun forums on what people use
    thanks

its "likely" to be M&P 9

still trying to decide between XD or M&P
    Let there be light.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
    thanks

its "likely" to be M&P 9

Totally getting off topic here but I'd say go with the M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    ^^Agreed. Knowing the make and model of pistol is extremely important. I'll add that knowing the make and model of the holster (if one will be used) is key as well. You might find a pistol light that fits your weapon but might need to purchase a new holster to fit your pistol/light combo.

Unenlightened

thanks

its "likely" to be M&P 9

I'll make it easier for ya......get a Glock!

Enlightened

Hello Stockae92,

Apart from the SureFire X300, the LED pistol lights that usually get mentioned are:

- The SureFire X400 (basically an X300 with a laser);
    - The Streamlight TRL-1; TLR-1S (= TLR-1 with strobe); TLR-2 (TLR-1 with laser); TLR-3;
    - The Insight Technology Procyon, WX150;

Except for the TLR-3 all the above are 2 cell CR123 lights.

An example of a one cell CR123 led pistol light is the Blackhawk Xiphos NT.

There is only one AA pistol light that I know of, the brand new Insight Technology WL1-AA.

Do a search here on CPF, via Google or via Youtube. You'll find some interesting reviews about these lights.

Regards,

Nachtwacht.
    Last edited by Nachtwacht; 04-01-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Erase Insight Technology M3, M6 ---> incan lights

XD or M&P?

XD
    My friends XD is mounted on the factory floor's wall of shame.
    He sent back the slide and some polymer chunks on it.
    $150. Later he got a brand new one.

It seems leaving your pistol on the roof of your car and then having it ran over by a fully loaded coal truck going 65 is bad for it. (I found the pieces for him and he's never living it down hahaha)

thanks for the good info on the lights

haha, trust me, the XD vs M&P vs GLOCK is already driving me crazy

I like GLOCK being so simple and reliable, but the grip angle is not the most comfortable for me.

I like the XD with the grip safety and cocked indicator, but the backstrap is not changeable (like M&P)

M&P seems to be the natural one, with almost ambidextrous releases (slide releases is, but the mag release needs to be flipped. and XD has ambidextrous mag release, but the slide release is not). and it has changeable backstrap.

And turners having Sig Pro SP2022 for $399 (seems like a great deal) just throw another variable into the equation. but the grip size seems a little big for me and its not ambidextrous.

but anyway, now its more of XD vs M&P. just going back and forth, back and forth ... -_-'
    Let there be light.

Raven concealment holsters and Blade Tech have just about every gun/light holster combination covered. Bladetech are the only ones that I could find that make a holster for a Taurus PT 1911 AR with a light attached. I am having one made for both a Surefire X-200 and a Streamlight TLR-1. One for each of my guns with different lights.

Everyone else I've spoken with makes the holster without a light attached, not sure what the point of that would be.

By the way I prefer the Streamlight TLR-1. It is brighter, less expensive (1/2 the price), longer run time and found no difference in durability to my Surefire which also has held up very well.
    Last edited by Jeffa; 04-01-2011 at 12:23 PM.

I like GLOCK being so simple and reliable, but the grip angle is not the most comfortable for me.

I like the XD with the grip safety and cocked indicator, but the backstrap is not changeable (like M&P)

M&P seems to be the natural one, with almost ambidextrous releases (slide releases is, but the mag release needs to be flipped. and XD has ambidextrous mag release, but the slide release is not). and it has changeable backstrap.

And turners having Sig Pro SP2022 for $399 (seems like a great deal) just throw another variable into the equation. but the grip size seems a little big for me and its not ambidextrous.

but anyway, now its more of XD vs M&P. just going back and forth, back and forth ... -_-'

I have the M&P and Glock. I love both. But if I had to choose one, the M&P would edge out the Glock.

That said, I have the TLR-1 and TLR-3. As a flashaholic, these lights are mediocre.

4sevens confirmed a handgun light in the making, but I wouldn't hold your breath for it.
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...=1#post2621349

The backstrap on the XDM is changeable! I have an XD 40 and a TLR-3 I am trying to sell if you are near ohio.

I'm not crazy about the TLR-3 as it is a compact, 90 lumen, polymer, 1 cr123 light. It feels cheesy.

I have carried, used and trained with the TLR-1 for the past two years on the job, it is an aluminum bodied 135 lumen, 2 cr123 light and feels much better than the TLR-3. I have yet to have a problem with it. I have fired approximately 5,000 to 7,000 rounds through my .40 cal with the light attached. I am glad to have gotten two yrs with that many rounds out of it without breakage.

My old Streamlight M3 continually would break but my M3X (polymer body) functioned very well but the incan light only made it about 3,000 rounds before needing to be replaced. Still very good in my opinion.

My Surefire X200 is a more recent acquisition and only has a couple hundered rounds through it and a different UI but so far has worked excellent.

The TLR-1S has a strobe which I don't feel is necessary but that is only my opinion, however the light puts out 165 lumens.

Most of my guys are using the TLR-1 and there are no problems other than a switch plate here or there which Streamlight has replaced no questions asked.

Maybe I'm not a real flashaholic because I only purchase from $500-$700 dollars in lights a year but the TLR-1 is good enough for me.

I have fired many different pistols with the TLR-3 attached and there is no breakage. It is powered by a CR2 battery not a CR123. Never had a problem with it.

M&P for sure. Spend time with each model. When I was looking for a handgun I was dead set on a XDM, never considered a M&P. I went to the local gun shop to handle all their firearms and shoot them (they have a range and rentals) I ended up taking the XDM, M&P and Glock 30. Once loaded, and shooting, I did not like the XDM at all. It was a toss up between the G 30 and M&P, the M&P being the winner for me.

I have a M&P 45 and am more than likely going to put on a X300.

OT, but another +1 for the M&P. Had the XD9, sold it for a M&P 40c. Ergonomics are so much better.

LOL, you guys are not making it any easier

i was leaning more towards the M&P, then find out i don't really like the jointed polymer trigger (but i like rest of the package)

and then i thought i wanted the XD 9 ... until i started thinking the GLOCK 19 compact isn't all that bad either with the smaller size and 4" barrel. the accessories and mags are cheaper on GLOCKs, the ability to (potentially) use the mags from 17 or even 18 (shouldn't really matter cause CA is a "10 rd mag" State, but its a nice to know that it can be done), there are endless accessories options, and its simple with proved reliability.

... i feel like i am back to square one

but for the light, i think i am going with TLR-1, so pretty much same job, being reliable and at a lower price :-)
    Let there be light.

SureFire X300 with a SureFire DG-11 Grip Switch...it's an expensive set up, but well worth it IMHO. Rock solid, great beam and the grip switch allows you to activate the light without having to shift your grip. Downside is that you can tend to back light yourself if you grip the DG switch too tight when drawing the pistol.

I've tried the TLR-1 as well and it's a great light, especially at that price point. You can't go wrong with either.

Just make sure you take whatever pistol + light combo you choose to your local range and put a lot of rounds down range to make sure that your new light is compatible with your pistol.
    My dog ate my flashlight...

i vote the tlr-1s as a best buy. i did a review comparing tlr-1s and tlr-3 HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Farnsrocket View Post
    I'll make it easier for ya......get a Glock!
    +1
    With a tlr-1s.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    It seems leaving your pistol on the roof of your car and then having it ran over by a fully loaded coal truck going 65 is bad for it. (I found the pieces for him and he's never living it down hahaha)
    Was the car under the gun while it was being abused by the coal truck?

Ok just looked at the TLR-1 and I like what I see but I have a question/s. What does this mean ? "Locating Keys, 69150"

Can I use it with RCR's or it has to be primaries and if I use it with rechargeable, will there be a difference in the 160 lumen output that they claim?

Does it come with the tactical switch or not? I found it with the rail for $130 bucks. Seems like a good price to me.

I'll check what kind of holster he has. Is this supposed to fit in a standard holster or..?

By the way, I love how they cost more used or refurbed that new on amazon and other places
    http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-TL.../dp/B00488YE6G

Thanks for the help so far

George

My old X200 has had a lot of range time and I've been very happy with it. If I were to buy a new light I would try the X300. Mainly because the X200 hasn't ever let me down. I would like to think that the X300 would be of the same build quality, only brighter, but you never know anymore lol
    "I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work." -Chris Titus