LED pistol light recommendation?

stockae92

Enlightened
I am looking for recommendation on LED pistol light? The only one I am familiar of is the Surefire X300. What are some other good option?

I don't suppose they have pistol light that runs on AA :p

But is there any that runs on a single CR123? (for weight saving)

Imon

Enlightened
You could get the Streamlight TLR-3.
It actually runs on a CR2 not a CR123a but you can use a 15270 rechargeable Li-ion battery instead.
Or... actually if I recall correctly 4Sevens sells them on their website for about $2 a pop. Not bad for CR2. At least it fulfills your weight saving requirement.

simplec6

Enlightened
TLR-1 here on 226. What sucks is there are no good IWB holsters for it with the TLR1 on it.

Illum

Flashaholic
Not all pistols work correctly with every type of weaponlight, its best to check gun forums on what people use ;)
Whats your pistol make and model?

stockae92

Enlightened
Not all pistols work correctly with every type of weaponlight, its best to check gun forums on what people use ;)

its "likely" to be M&P 9 :p

still trying to decide between XD or M&P

FoxFury

Newly Enlightened

^^Agreed. Knowing the make and model of pistol is extremely important. I'll add that knowing the make and model of the holster (if one will be used) is key as well. You might find a pistol light that fits your weapon but might need to purchase a new holster to fit your pistol/light combo.

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
Hello Stockae92,

Apart from the SureFire X300, the LED pistol lights that usually get mentioned are:

- The SureFire X400 (basically an X300 with a laser);
- The Streamlight TRL-1; TLR-1S (= TLR-1 with strobe); TLR-2 (TLR-1 with laser); TLR-3;
- The Insight Technology Procyon, WX150;

Except for the TLR-3 all the above are 2 cell CR123 lights.

An example of a one cell CR123 led pistol light is the Blackhawk Xiphos NT.

There is only one AA pistol light that I know of, the brand new Insight Technology WL1-AA.

Do a search here on CPF, via Google or via Youtube. You'll find some interesting reviews about these lights.

Regards,

Nachtwacht.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
XD or M&P?

XD
My friends XD is mounted on the factory floor's wall of shame.
He sent back the slide and some polymer chunks on it.
$150. Later he got a brand new one.

It seems leaving your pistol on the roof of your car and then having it ran over by a fully loaded coal truck going 65 is bad for it. (I found the pieces for him and he's never living it down hahaha)

stockae92

Enlightened
thanks for the good info on the lights :)

haha, trust me, the XD vs M&P vs GLOCK is already driving me crazy :p

I like GLOCK being so simple and reliable, but the grip angle is not the most comfortable for me.

I like the XD with the grip safety and cocked indicator, but the backstrap is not changeable (like M&P)

M&P seems to be the natural one, with almost ambidextrous releases (slide releases is, but the mag release needs to be flipped. and XD has ambidextrous mag release, but the slide release is not). and it has changeable backstrap.

And turners having Sig Pro SP2022 for $399 (seems like a great deal) just throw another variable into the equation. but the grip size seems a little big for me and its not ambidextrous.

but anyway, now its more of XD vs M&P. just going back and forth, back and forth ... -_-'

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
Raven concealment holsters and Blade Tech have just about every gun/light holster combination covered. Bladetech are the only ones that I could find that make a holster for a Taurus PT 1911 AR with a light attached. I am having one made for both a Surefire X-200 and a Streamlight TLR-1. One for each of my guns with different lights.

Everyone else I've spoken with makes the holster without a light attached, not sure what the point of that would be.

By the way I prefer the Streamlight TLR-1. It is brighter, less expensive (1/2 the price), longer run time and found no difference in durability to my Surefire which also has held up very well.

Last edited:

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened

I like GLOCK being so simple and reliable, but the grip angle is not the most comfortable for me.

I like the XD with the grip safety and cocked indicator, but the backstrap is not changeable (like M&P)

M&P seems to be the natural one, with almost ambidextrous releases (slide releases is, but the mag release needs to be flipped. and XD has ambidextrous mag release, but the slide release is not). and it has changeable backstrap.

And turners having Sig Pro SP2022 for $399 (seems like a great deal) just throw another variable into the equation. but the grip size seems a little big for me and its not ambidextrous.

but anyway, now its more of XD vs M&P. just going back and forth, back and forth ... -_-'

I have the M&P and Glock. I love both. But if I had to choose one, the M&P would edge out the Glock.

That said, I have the TLR-1 and TLR-3. As a flashaholic, these lights are mediocre.

4sevens confirmed a handgun light in the making, but I wouldn't hold your breath for it.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?246270-Any-plans-for-dedicated-handgun-light&p=2621349&viewfull=1#post2621349

glockxj

Newly Enlightened

The backstrap on the XDM is changeable! I have an XD 40 and a TLR-3 I am trying to sell if you are near ohio. :naughty:

IMAG0012.jpg

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
I'm not crazy about the TLR-3 as it is a compact, 90 lumen, polymer, 1 cr123 light. It feels cheesy.

I have carried, used and trained with the TLR-1 for the past two years on the job, it is an aluminum bodied 135 lumen, 2 cr123 light and feels much better than the TLR-3. I have yet to have a problem with it. I have fired approximately 5,000 to 7,000 rounds through my .40 cal with the light attached. I am glad to have gotten two yrs with that many rounds out of it without breakage.

My old Streamlight M3 continually would break but my M3X (polymer body) functioned very well but the incan light only made it about 3,000 rounds before needing to be replaced. Still very good in my opinion.

My Surefire X200 is a more recent acquisition and only has a couple hundered rounds through it and a different UI but so far has worked excellent.

The TLR-1S has a strobe which I don't feel is necessary but that is only my opinion, however the light puts out 165 lumens.

Most of my guys are using the TLR-1 and there are no problems other than a switch plate here or there which Streamlight has replaced no questions asked.

Maybe I'm not a real flashaholic because I only purchase from $500-$700 dollars in lights a year but the TLR-1 is good enough for me.

glockxj

Newly Enlightened
I have fired many different pistols with the TLR-3 attached and there is no breakage. It is powered by a CR2 battery not a CR123. Never had a problem with it.

biggenius29

Newly Enlightened
M&P for sure. Spend time with each model. When I was looking for a handgun I was dead set on a XDM, never considered a M&P. I went to the local gun shop to handle all their firearms and shoot them (they have a range and rentals) I ended up taking the XDM, M&P and Glock 30. Once loaded, and shooting, I did not like the XDM at all. It was a toss up between the G 30 and M&P, the M&P being the winner for me.

I have a M&P 45 and am more than likely going to put on a X300.