Fire-on-a-stick Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fire on a Stick

This bright idea has been the clear choice for numerous civilizations, ever since flint was at the cutting edge of cutting edge technology. It's only fair that it gets the time in the limelight to show for such favoritism.

Fire-on-a-stick

Meat and Potatoes

The fire-on-a-stick illumination tool is a personal favorite of mine. It possesses a number of aspects that clearly represent the best in lighting from the beginning of time. This torch has historically used a number of proprietary power sources, but thankfully it is amply flexible when needs are pressing. There are usually any number of handy options though burn time can vary dramatically between the different varieties. Power regulation though is sometimes a bit spotty. There are times that it will maintain a relatively constant output, but quite often its runtime curve tapers severely, similar to a number of other unregulated lights.

Fire-on-a-stick produces a very floody illumination with an enormous spillbeam. It is capable of lighting up a wide area greatly increasing tactical awareness of your environs. It does still manage to have an intense hotspot that can limit your field of view somewhat if you stare to directly into it. One of the best features of FOAS is that the beam has an incredibly pleasing warmth to it that is nearly unrivalled. For all you tint junkies out there its hard to argue with the pleasant tones rendered by this antithesis of cool white.

For all of you tactical junkies, Fire-on-a-stick does also have a number of clear advantages in self defence. While not usually possessing a true crenellated bezel, FOAS is still extremely capable as a striking weapon. There aren't any strobe or other blinky settings though, so attempting to temporarily blind your attacker generally takes some more creative thinking. Thankfully though, the UI is quite simple here, for all intents and purposes having only one mode. That way there is no fumbling with the controls in the heat of the moment to try and gain any extra output.

Business end

Constructive Criticism

One of the aspects of most current lights that is completely taken for granted lately is waterproofing. Quite honestly, it's been a while since I have even tested any of my lights with a dunking since they all have passed any of my tests with equal results for so long now. This light however does not really stand up to this kind of abuse. While, with much care and dedication it may be possible to keep this torch running in a light splash or low level drizzling rain, a true waterproof rating is nearly completely impossible.

Another drawback that I have discovered is that Fire-on-a-stick tends to overheat quite quickly. While thermal runaway isn't much of a danger as it can be in a LED, it still can get difficult to hold after only a short burst of light. Thankfully there are many options available to Fire-on-a-stick owners and extended length handles are one of the most commonly chosen. This definitely helps reduce discomfort over lengthy uses.

Fire-on-a-stick

Conclusions

A genuine classic. Nothing so revolutionary will be introduced within my lifetime I can safely assume. Fire-on-a-stick represents the epitome of form follows function, and the basis behind all of our portable lighting. I can't recommend it enough.

Fire-on-a-stick

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only down side is holster carry. Bezel down creates a lot of problems when the light it on.

samuraishot

Enlightened
Nice! Looks to be a pretty warm tint though...any news when a neutral or cool to come out? :D

carrot

Flashaholic
I enjoyed this review.

DO you find any problems with accidental activation when you are carrying this torch in a holster?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see the switch, where is it? And what kind of batteries does it use?
I hope it comes in Cool White too, I would get two.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crap! Came on in my pocket!

Person-fire.jpg

Walterk

Enlightened
Its a classic that always will keep its shine. Have one myself, still enjoy it, especially in wintertime.