New XM-L driver on DX, anyone getting one?

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Just noticed it today - sku 57779. Wonder if its any good, claims to be 3A.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your search "sku 57779" did not match any products。

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
It's huge...22x22x14, but I guess it's meant to be used in bigger lights.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let us know if this would work on 12V driving 3 XMLs & if it really gets 3 AMP.

This would be better than the old P7 drivers that has 5 modes.

looks beefy & fits mag C. I looks similar to Der Wichtel driver but cost 5 times less. Hope this works out!

Kokopelli

Enlightened
I have had one from KD, maybe not the same board but specs were similar. 22mm diameter fits well into a TrustFire TR1200 drop-in, those sold on DX with 52mm reflectors. It makes a good mid range thrower (nothing sniper style but does really illuminate far) with an XML emitter.

Aepoc

Enlightened
I'm very interested! Please keep us posted eprom!

Let us know if this would work on 12V driving 3 XMLs & if it really gets 3 AMP.

This would be better than the old P7 drivers that has 5 modes.

looks beefy & fits mag C. I looks similar to Der Wichtel driver but cost 5 times less. Hope this works out!

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
just one question......

since there are 2 boards does the smaller one is the controller that sets the modes?

can it be removed to make a single mode driver?

ergotelis

Enlightened
Kostas, usually these drivers use PWM most of them have the classic design of the buck circuit and the modes circuit. So, it is possible to get one mode.

Hill

Enlightened
I know the interest here is to drive the XM-L to spec @ 3amp, but I find the 2.8A AMC 7135 boards from shiningbeam to work flawlessly. Also they are much smaller and fit a wider variety of light sizes, from P60 style all the way up to mag mods. It does not push the XM-L to max output, but I don't think the extra 200 ma will make a noticeable difference to the human eye. They cost about the same as the DX driver, although, it is only rated to max 6V input which limits battery config to either a single rechargable lion, or maximum 5 x NiMh cells.

Either way, I'm always interested in new drivers too, so I look forward to ergotelis's test data.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
indeed on all points made, but you are missing a point...this is compatible with 2x Li-Ion batteries....a rare occurance in cheap drivers

Hill

Enlightened
indeed on all points made, but you are missing a point...this is compatible with 2x Li-Ion batteries....a rare occurance in cheap drivers

Correct, and that is my one gripe about the 2.8a driver from shiningbeam (link here for throwjunkie) and also available from user download which I neglected to mention (sales thread here). However, thanks to download, there is a wiring "trick" that works with 2x li-on or 2x IMR cells here which I used to build my 4 x xpg in a mag 2c here. Similar builds done by tx101 and vestureofblood.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
With download method, you can do 2 or 4 but not 3 with 2 Li-ion.
To squeeze out a triple XML on Mag 2C, I had to import a new type of IMR batteries from China.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Yard-Sweeper-Mag-2C-3-mode-with-3x-IMR-22430

If the DX driver can drive 3 XML, it might give a nice new option for Mag 2C?
I just wish it had Hi/Mid/Lo instead of Hi/Lo Strobe.

If it can only drive single XML, then it's not as exciting, because I'd rather prefer Mag 1C with single IMR 26650 4000MAH + 2.8A 8x7135, plenty of run time & better modes with H/Mid/lo.

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got these drivers running off a 12V 105Ah DC Battery as per this post. The driver was not used in the build at the start of the thread. Towards the end I have a photo of a larger set of lights. I used the new driver in those.

No idea on actual power out but they are definitely brighter than driver used in the small light at the start of the thread (2.4A). They ran well, did not get hot that I could notice. The modes are stupid though. I just want low and high - strobe on the finished flood lights is ridiculous lol.

videoman

Enlightened
Too bad they don't have them with single mode and provision to put a dimmer pot, better yet with a dimmer pot already soldered and ready to go. Not really for flashlight use but for someone wanting to build a lantern/ lamp or perhaps a video camera light that a dimmer is a must.