Looking for quality solar post light

Vermonter73

Enlightened
New house out in the country. We want some ambient light in the yard. I hate cheap solar lights that get stuck in the ground. I'm thinking of using a few quality solar lights that mount on top of a post. Any suggestions?

Thanks

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
I haven't found one that was 'quality' enough. How bright do you need it to be? yard size?

The best that I've seen were at solarilluminations website. But, they were so expensive($500-$1200) that I built my own which is better.

A 10-watt 12v LED flood light, 30w-40w solar panel, charge controller with dusk/dawn switch, and group 29-31 12v deep cycle marine/rv battery, battery box, and little wiring/mounting would be plenty for a small yard to keep you from walking into things at night.

xscyz.com and ebay have 46-led PIR solar that can be top mounted, side pole mounted, or ground mounted. It runs on low output all night no problem, and when the motion sensor kicks in, it goes brighter. Low power is equivalent to 5 or 6 keychain type freebie LED lights and high power is almost as bright as a ~15w incan.

HomeDepot and Lowes has the 1 watt single to 24LED type spot lights. You can bracket it to a pole. You'd probably need 4-6 of them pointing in all directions to provide a reasonable surround type flood. And, they can be upgraded to higher quality batteries and LEDs for more light.

SemiMan

Banned
If you want to roll your own, you will likely get the most amount of light. That said, 10 watts of LED with a 30-40W panel and a typical solar charger (making that more like a 20-30 watt panel) is going to leave you without light often in most locations. That said, 5watts of good LEDs is a reasonable amount of light. If you can splurge on an AGM battery, do it. Long term it will cost less as it will last much longer.