(OFF)-ON-OFF Momentary Toggle Switch?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just studied this page here and couldn't find what I wanted. I hope it exists! It is a three position toggle switch, where the available positions are like this:

Position One: OFF

The circuit is broken.

Position Two: ON

The circuit is complete.

Position Three: MOMENTARY OFF

The circuit is interrupted only as long as the switch is held in this position. When released, the toggle snaps back to the center, ON position.

Does such a creature exist?

:)

LEDAdd1ct

Last edited:
Re: OFF-ON-OFF Momentary Toggle Switch?

I just studied this page here and couldn't find what I wanted. I hope it exists! It is a three position toggle switch, where the available positions are like this:

The circuit is broken.

The circuit is complete.

The circuit is interrupted only as long as the switch is held in this position. When released, the toggle snaps back to the center, ON position.

LEDAdd1ct

I purchased some from NEWARK that were ON-OFF-MOM. You can search switches there (cherry was ours) and see if there is one set up that way.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the help, purdue. :)

I just looked through Newark, and couldn't find it. I updated the thread title with what I believe I am looking for.

The closest thing I could find is this here. Close but no cigar, as it is (ON)-ON-OFF.

Is it possible to alter the momentary on that switch to be what I am looking for, i.e., (OFF)-ON-OFF?

Now that I have what I believe to be the proper title, is there anyone who knows where I might find one?

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast

The closest thing I could find is this here. Close but no cigar, as it is (ON)-ON-OFF.
If the switch is DPDT, presumably in the 'OFF' position, no connection is made at all between any of the contacts, and in the two 'ON' positions, different connections are made depending what the position is?

If so, the switch would effectively act as a DPST '(OFF)-ON-OFF' if wired correctly (ie the two circuits it makes in the centre position are broken in both of the non-centre positions).

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
uk_caver, thanks for the help. Here is the description of the switch, right off Newark's site:

• SWITCH, TOGGLE, DPDT, 15A, 250V
  • Contact Configuration: DPDT
  • Switch Operation: (ON)-ON-OFF
  • Contact Voltage AC Nom: 250V
  • Contact Current Max: 15A
  • Switch Terminals: Tab
  • Contact Voltage AC Max: 250V
  • Circuitry: DPDT
  • Series: G
  • RoHS Compliant: Yes

Wesco

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, but I'm looking for this same switch, with no success. LEDAdd1ct, did you have any luck with your search? I ended up getting a DPDT (ON)-OFF-ON http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380218532247&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1123 thinking I could follow uk_cavers advice, but unfortunately when its in the momentary position both poles are hot, so no dice. I know I can wire some relays in after the switches but I'm already electric over air and I'd rather not add another component to potentially fail.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Wesco

Sasquatch6ft9

Newly Enlightened

The circuit is broken.

The circuit is complete.

LEDAdd1ct

Try a marker light switch out of a sterling semi

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at this again, if someone wants single-pole (Off)-On-Off action, they're probably best getting an SP3T (On)-On-On switch.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at this again, if someone wants single-pole (Off)-On-Off action, they're probably best getting an SP3T (On)-On-On switch.

Could you please recommend one?

I am in the U.S.

Would either of these two parts work? Pop either one into Google and they are both the first hit:

450-1536-ND

5009790-M2024SS1W03

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current application calls for something like this:

I want to be able to click once to turn the light on, and then press momentarily to switch modes, and release to restore power.

I am having a heck of a time tracking down a switch that does this which has the same style mount as the one depicted above.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M2024SS1W03 is an on-on-on (ie the toggle is stable in all three positions). If used with the centre-active contacts, both end positions would be locking in the off position

Looking at the datasheet - http://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/MtogglesBushing.pdf there is an on-on-(on) (ie on-on-momentary) version - the M2027SS1W03.

The 450-1536-ND is also on-on-on

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy cow, I think you found one that will work!

If you Google search this term:

633-M2027B2B1W01-RO

and click the very first hit, it will take you to mouser's website.

Can you confirm whether that switch will work?

The first position will be wired to nothing, and will be constant.

The second position will complete the circuit, and current will flow.

The third position will be wired to nothing and be momentary.
When the switch is moved to the third position, current will be interrupted only as long as the switch is held there.
The switch will return to the second position, the circuit will close, current will flow.

Is this correct?

If not, can you please point out the error?

If this is correct, then an appropriate part has been found and I will order one. :)

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know, that's correct, though at least some SP3T switches have 6 external contacts and need a wire bridge adding to give actual 3-position changeover operation.

See page 7 of https://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/switch basics_web08.pdf
and G and H of http://rickviola.com/electronics.htm

This is because such switches are internally made up from sets of contacts which are mechanically limited to double-throw operation, but with adjustment of when changes happen relative to the lever position and an external bridge, it's possible to create triple-throw operation.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, this stinks.

The modder tried to complete the build by wiring up the switch in my previous post, but it doesn't work.

It is momentary on only, and won't break the circuit to switch modes when thrown into the momentary position.

What do you guys suggest?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's supposed to be:

Bottom Position: Nothing
Middle Position: Complete circuit
Top Position (Momentary): Nothing

I am not good at explaining things related to switches.

I will ask the modder to chime in here.