Any Surefire Z-series addicts out there?

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
There is a C2 addicts thread, so how about any of the Z-series variants? I know they are not quite as popular as the C2 or especially 6P but after having one, Im starting to wonder why.

I ended up purchasing one to host my new Nailbender XP-G High CRI drop in. I never used to really like the pics of the Z2, but after getting it home and slapping a 6PD bezel on it, I am in love! It seems like it is even more comfortable for the "Surefire / Rogers technique" as well.

Id like to see pics of any Z series variant... Maybe even some Cerakote ones that Oveready sells? Anybody?

Here is my new found love
DSC02105.jpg

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Any Z2 addicts out there?

I figure that the older Z's count for your thread, right? There happens to be a nice 'user' 6Z within reach right now:

Z-seriesaddict006-1.jpg

And my 7Z:

SF7Z003.jpg

I used to be crazy about the C-series, but recently have come to prefer the Z's as my favorite SF's. My experience is comparable to yours, I thought that the Z's looked kind of odd compared to the C's, but after spending some time handling them, I was surprised just how nice they are to hold.

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have two 6Z's, the predecessor to the Z2. I have been using them for years. They now are both running Malkoff M60/61's. I like them much better than the C2's for the Surefire/Rogers technique.

I also have a 7Z and a 9Z. More to come...

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened

I figure that the older Z's count for your thread, right? There happens to be a nice 'user' 6Z within reach right now:

I used to be crazy about the C-series, but recently have come to prefer the Z's as my favorite SF's. My experience is comparable to yours, I thought that the Z's looked kind of odd compared to the C's, but after spending some time handling them, I was surprised just how nice they are to hold.

Haha, NICE. One just within reach! Looks good! That top one is a 6Z? ... that is still two cells, right?

I have two 6Z's, the predecessor to the Z2. I have been using them for years. They now are both running Malkoff M60/61's. I like them much better than the C2's for the Surefire/Rogers technique.

I also have a 7Z and a 9Z. More to come...

Wow, I learned something already. I never knew of the 6Z, 7Z, 9Z's at all! How many cells do these 7Z and 9Z's hold? Hard to tell in the picture.. 3 cells in the 7Z?

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened

100_3264.jpg

100_3253-1.jpg

I lover my Z2 too. It's my workhorse torch.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Didn't know you had so many Z's NR. I'll post a pic of mine when I get home.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll post this one on behalf of JCalvert because it's actually his now and I don't think he does pictures.

BTW: It runs on 18650's

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, I learned something already. I never knew of the 6Z, 7Z, 9Z's at all! How many cells do these 7Z and 9Z's hold? Hard to tell in the picture.. 3 cells in the 7Z?

The 6Z, 7Z and 9Z have all been discontinued for years. The only model that still lives is the 6Z's replacement...the Z2.

The 7Z is the CombatLight version of the 6R. The 7Z is powered by either the B65 NiCad battery stick or two CR123's with the supplied aluminum dummy spacer which is a little larger than a CR123 battery. The 7Z originally came with a R60 lamp assembly (also discontinued) but today a P60 Lamp will work just fine. The 7Z is a bit longer than a 9Z. I use 3x123's in my 7Z with a homemade spacer made from a cut down dummy 123 spacer.
This is the 123 spacer I purchased and cut down.
Insert 3 CR123's into the 7Z. Measure the remaining space. Cut down the spacer to fit. Keep the nipple/positive end and cut off the remainder. Optional: I used shrink wrap on the cut end to clean it up a bit. If you use shrink wrap, make sure you leave enough bare aluminum exposed to make contact with the tailcap spring.

The 9Z uses 3xCR123 batteries and a P90 lamp.

Over the years, I have upgraded my 6Z's bezels and tailcaps to the same type used now on the Z2.

You can see the 6Z, 7Z and 9Z in a 1996 Surefire catalog HERE.

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened

I'll post this one on behalf of JCalvert because it's actually his now and I don't think he does pictures.

BTW: It runs on 18650's

Yep, that's mine (except for the bezel ring) and I already have three now and a G2Z Nitrolon and another Z2 on the way. I upgrade all the Z41s with McClicky switches from Oveready and I fill the heads with either a variety of Malkoff or Nailbender drop-ins. Then I add my own hand-made lanyards. I even switched out a couple of Z44 heads for the new Cryos head from "Ronac". Good stuff! Thanks for getting me started Jamie, I love 'em.

All the best,
John

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

5368418775_9cf9def465_b.jpg

I like the Z2 with a clip. If you remove the grip rings, this light is about the same diameter as the slim E series lights, very comfy in a cigar grip. Mine is bored for 18650 and runs a warm dual xpg drop-in.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok Captain...I'm coming out of the closet...but I still love my C2/C3's!!!

Left-to-Right: G2ZL/9ZR (W/ KX4)/6Z/9Z/Z2L (KX4)

HPIM1739.jpg

HPIM1738.jpg

Xacto

Enlightened

Count me in. I have four Z2 lights. At first, when I got my first one, I wasn't too happy holding the light. The first one has a Wolf Eyes dropin with I think 240 lumen. Over time, I started to like it more and more, got two for spares and a fourth genuine, unused Z2L at half the original retail price on evilbay (the seller got it for birthday, but prefers to keep his LED Lenser). That one with its P60L is my current EDC light and actually stopped my 6P rotation (surely for the moment only)

edclampen032011.jpg

(The G2 will soon enter the EDC rotation because its summer, the light is lighter and the colors fits the summer garmet better)

Cheers
Thorsten

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic

How many cells do these 7Z and 9Z's hold? Hard to tell in the picture.. 3 cells in the 7Z?
The 7Z's are essentially a 3.5 cell light (using the SF NiCad battery stick as noted previously). Here is a pic of the longer 7Z next to the three-cell 9Z:

SF7Z015.jpg

And here's a better pic of my recently-added 'user' 6Z. I really like this light. :)

6Z001.jpg

Edit: CS, I've actually been kicking around the idea of creating a Z-series thread like this one, thanks for creating this thread. :thumbsup: How about broadening your thread title to include all the other great Z's? :)

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

dsc00188rc.jpg

Not exactly a Z2, its a polymer version G2Z with McClicky, and NB high CRI P4, single mode.

I like the feel of the Z2 more than the C2
I want to replace my Oveready C2 for a Z2, but they are out of stock of the "bronze". and dont know whether theyll ever make anymore.
Maybe Ill settle for the orange oveready Z2.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened

Edit: CS, I've actually been kicking around the idea of creating a Z-series thread like this one, thanks for creating this thread. :thumbsup: How about broadening your thread title to include all the other great Z's? :)

Done!

Wow, there is a lot of great info and history lessons already in this thread. Exactly what I'm looking for! I can't write now but later I'll read it all and respond. Thanks all!

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

No fair with all the 6Zs, 9Zs, etc... This was supposed to be a Z2 addict thread! You guys are all making me jealous... been looking for a mint 6Z for a little while now...

Shao