Inova T3 reflector version mod to XM-L

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I have an Inova T3 with a reflector. It is a nice light but cannot compete with all the new lights I have.

So I was thinking maybe an XM-L would be a good upgrade. Since it is a 3 cell light I should be able to run it off of 2x 16500 cells for rechargeable needs. The two cells should run teh XM-L just fine as long as i get the right driver I figure. I doubt the stock driver would push the XM-L to its full potential. The body is to narrow for anything but 16mm wide cells.

All I gotta do is pop the light then throw in a new LED with a new driver then done I figure.

I cannot find pictures of what the lights look like after freeze popped open. I found onces with the TIROS optics I am have the reflector version.

Also I am wondering about the reflector. Inova doesnt make a shiny one, it is some "diamond turned" reflector. I don't now whether that would be good or bad for an XM-L led. Maybe i could try polishing it a little bit...

Maybe this driver?
http://www.lck-led.com/p501/Constan....html?osCsid=dadc302bd2fac7f43cdb7fc0d05deb09

I prefer a single mode. Found this one but it is for single cell only.
http://illuminationsupply.com/8xamc7135-28a-3-mode-driver-p-45.html

I think I have some of these. Not sure if this will make the XM-L realize its potential.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/18v-5w-cree-circuit-board-for-flashlights-16-8mm-5-5mm-26110

Thoughts?

I will post pictures if I do complete this mod.

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Modifying Inova T3 reflector version to XM-L

I have an Inova X03...an older version of what your light is. I modded it by installing a drop in...gluing it in actually.

The entire inside of the light is one long open tube. You may not be able to just replace the led and driver...that's why I used a drop in....actually came out quite nice. No pictures of the job ...sorry!

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened

I have an Inova X03...an older version of what your light is. I modded it by installing a drop in...gluing it in actually.

The entire inside of the light is one long open tube. You may not be able to just replace the led and driver...that's why I used a drop in....actually came out quite nice. No pictures of the job ...sorry!

So how did the freeze pop method work for you?
Was the driver epoxied into some sort of housing that would make it impossible to replace?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened

I was wondering if there was another way to open the flashlight, maybe kinder to the light.
I was thinking put in something soft first that would disperse the pressure evenly against the internals such as a dozen cotton balls and then find some sort of plunger or ram rod devide. Clamp the Inova intoa vice or something and find a way of applying slowly increasing pressure against the wadding. Avoid hitting it, maybe come sort of c-clamp to slowly push the rod against the wadding and get pressure to push out the bezel.
This way you don't have the damaging effects of water.

Thoughts?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened

How about any suggestions for a single mode driver for the XM-L?
Found some multi mode ones but not sure of deal extreme quality.

gunga

Flashaholic

Freeze pop seems to work well for most people. I suggest you try this for your light and then when you have it apart, we can all look at the dimensions of the board etc and help with choosing parts. DX is questionable at times, but I've had decent success with their drivers. In any case, need to open it up to see what fits first.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened

Ok, so I tried a freeze pop method and got nothing.
I then wondering if the ring on the end of the bezel was threaded. Sure enough it was and it came off with a strap wrench with little effort. Maybe the freeze helped though.

So even with the bezel ring off the reflector and lens appear to be one piece and are solidly in the light. There is a space between the body of the light and the threads on the outside of the reflector leading me to believe the threads are not part of the body. I tried grabbing the threads and turning but it won't budge.
I am thinking of trying another freeze to see if it will push it out. EDIT: it is on it's second freeze. Been in there for almost 4 hours, but I don't see any movement. Maybe it is not frozen solid yet? Maybe the freeze method does not work?
On the inside near the negative contact nipple appears to be plastic so I am hesitant to push on it with anything. I have read somewhere that some of the Inova's have a thin piece of plastic and can be damaged.

Here is a photo from a camera phone. I guess it doesn't do macro well :(
04192011095.jpg

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast

The inside of my X03 was not screwed in...just pushed in really tight! I used a big wrench on the end of the reflector that was just barely sticking out. Put the light in a wood vice, then kept twisting and pulling until the reflector assembly finally worked loose. had to beat the rest out from the back end....this was not the easiest light to get open!

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened

The inside of my X03 was not screwed in...just pushed in really tight! I used a big wrench on the end of the reflector that was just barely sticking out. Put the light in a wood vice, then kept twisting and pulling until the reflector assembly finally worked loose. had to beat the rest out from the back end....this was not the easiest light to get open!

Did it have the same thread system mine has?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast

imo, its good to have a few lights hanging around that are not 500+ lumens, leave it the way it is.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened

UPDATE: I was able to finally get it open after about 3 or 4 freeze sessions. Found out that removal of the bezel is not necessary. It will stay on the reflector assembly. THe lens is also glued into the reflector assembly.
There is no real heat sink but the body is thick, and the reflector is pretty hefty. On the black sleeve pictured below I believe that the nipple could be trimmed down to provide for some sort of heat sink thickness, say maybe a penny size slug or something.

Here are photos.

Here is the body
P1030813.jpg

Here are the insides. Note the black sleeve that holds the spring. I don't know why this is there but I believe maybe rather than design a new body they used the old body that was meant for the TIROS optic. The black sleeve holds the CR123 in place. The other half is off to show how it works.
P1030815.jpg

Here is the reflector. That is water around the edges, it still needs to dry out.
P1030817.jpg

Here is reflector assembly with the LED driver. Note: it is held in by two small allen screws which I already removed before taking the picture.
P1030818.JPG

Here is the back of the reflector and LED
P1030820.jpg

Showing the body with the sleeve installed.
P1030822.jpg

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast

I try long time ago to mod my T2 tyros model and the tailcap switch was disarmed in the freeze process, I never can put the switch togueter back. I was thinking in buy another to try again, I realy like wow the inovas look. Keep update your mod.

gunga

Flashaholic

What size is the circuit board? THis may not be the easiest mod since the board is bolted on in the middle of the board. You certainly chose an interesting one for modding!

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened

What size is the circuit board? THis may not be the easiest mod since the board is bolted on in the middle of the board. You certainly chose an interesting one for modding!

The board is 23mm wide so that is good right? I have lots of real estate to work with?
Whatever board i change to doesn't need to be bolted right, I can always find another way to mount the next LED and board.

I found this driver for the XM-L. I don't want modes, but the right driver seems hard to find. It is a little on the thick side though... Maybe I wuld have to cut down some of the black plastic sleeve... or more. The construction looks a little.... amateur.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/6-18v-3000ma-3-mode-circuit-board-for-xm-lt60-emitters-57779
Or this
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1866

And here is the XM-L. I wonder why DX says it is 885lumen output? I thought these things go up to 1000? I can't believe they would factor in loss of lumens before it is even in a light...
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/xm-lt6-885lm-led-emitter-6000k-white-light-bulb-3-0-3-5v-50599
Or at kaidomain... Never shopped there before.
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11102

Anyone know a better source for LEDs and drivers?

EDIT: I found this one.
http://www.lck-led.com/p501/Constan....html?osCsid=7eb931a0b26b535be6f50b5a8db17872

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I know that you dont want modes in the driver, but I think this is a good option

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-132/3-dsh-Mode-Regulated-Circuit-Board/Detail

Shipped from usa

What about a XM-L neutral tint?

Search in ebay this tittle,

Cree XM-L T6-3S 5000-5300K White Led 20mm starbase
Or a T6 U2 bin
Cree XM-L Single-Die LED U2 w/ 16mm Base 320lm@750mA

I saw the one at shinning beam but it is limited to 6 volts. That means I cant use 2x 16500 or 3 CR123 batteries.