Shoot out of Home Made P60 drop-ins

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not a p60 guy, not small enough for my EDC & reflector too small to compete with my mag mods. But I just made a cool Mini hand grenade, 1x18350, and don't have anything to run, so I decide to make some, went a little over board, so here they are.

My one & Only P60 light: Solarforce mini hand grenade:
dscf9244.jpg

Left to right: E2DL 2xCR2 shorty; E1b p60 drop-in 1.4A; Xpe Q35A; Lumen factory R2, Dx EZ900 Q5 1.4A; XPG R4 Neutral 2.1A, XML T6 2.8A.
dscf9495.jpg

dscf9503.jpg

Specs, Beam short & throw
I am a white wall hunter, all reflectors are OP. Exposure kept low 1/20 of a sec to avoid over exposure of hot spot, so that one can tell the brightness apart.
Distance is about 15-16ft to the wall.
All lux are read at 5 meters by Extech EA30 lux meter & converted to lux @ 1 meter.

1. Surefire E2DL shorty as control light, 2xCr2. 7925 Lux @ 1 meter
dscf9480l.jpg

2. Surefire E1b p60 drop-in
. 1.4A, 9625 lux @ 1 meter
E1B head was grind down to retrieve TIR & E-can light engine.
E Can grind down to fit solarforce head, Stock R2 & star removed &
reinstalled on the other side of e-can. E-can & a host reflector holding TIR were both cut down & jointed together by JB welds. Reflected bored to fit TIR from above & JB welded once a perfect focus is achieved. 1.4A 3-mode shinning beam driver installed with copper stepper. This is not a easy mod, took me about 6 hrs grinding/cutting/boring etc. another 4 hrs or so just to adjust focus to achieve perfection on the white wall. The TIR did not work perfectly with XPE/XPG/XML on white wall,
dscf9481.jpg

2. Kai XPE Neutral Q35A. 5250 lux @ 1 meter
Reflector bottom hole bored a little, it was blocking some light.
Copper sheet applied with Fuji thermo adhesive for better heat transfer
dscf9484.jpg

3. Lumenfactory R2. 4375 lux @ 1 meter
Stock, un modified. It should be a lot brighter if running 2xli-ion
dscf9485.jpg

4. DX Q5 Neutral bare led, EZ900. 11375 lux @ 1 meter
DX new arrival Neutral 4000K Q5, turns out looks like cool white & it's EZ900 smaller die. Not neutral at all but EZ 900 is best for throw. A copper disk was directly soldered on the brass E can & Bare led mounted by Arctic silver under pressure.
Copper sheet applied with Fuji thermo adhesive for better heat transfer
1.4A Shinning beam 3 mode driver.
dscf9486.jpg

5. XPG R4 Neutral 2.1 Amp. 9600 lux @ 1 meter :)
Shinning beam XPG R4 Neutral fixed to E-can by Arctic silver
Shinning beam 2.8A 8x7135 3 mode driver modified to remove 2 7135 chips,
delivering 2.1Amp max with 6x7135.
Copper sheet applied with Fuji thermo adhesive for better heat transfer.
dscf9487.jpg

6. XML T6, 2.8 Amp. 7750 lux @ 1 meter
Shinning beam 2.8A 8x7135 3 mode driver
Copper sheet applied with Fuji thermo adhesive for better heat transfer.
dscf9488.jpg

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The exposures in post above are set to super low, it'll
only show "hot spot" & reflect lux differences. The do not reflect total lumens & thus XML
does not look impressive. This picture is more fare to the lumens & reflect more realistically what it looks in real like:

XML T6 P60, 2.8Amp
dscf9490.jpg

I was extremely happy with how the E1b p60 came out, although it was a pain to mod & adjust.
side by side vs E2DL with its legendary perfect beam:
dscf9493b.jpg

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see you have done some more great work here and the beam shots are great also. I am always glad you share your work and beamshots for others to enjoy.....BTW I still am interested in the LX1 hand grenade if you decide to part with it....Thanks.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure I understand your 1st question. Out of home? I'll tell you what's out of home, the XML drop-in, it's shipped out of home :)

I did like the XPG one better, at 2.1 Amp, it looks just as bright as the XML /2.8A with a bit more punch in the center of the beam, which is a pretty broad beam. Plus 25% longer run time than the XML, the XPG is the winner.

For the remaining drop ins, I am getting some SMOs, wanting to push the XPE & EZ900 XRE a bit further...

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure I understand your 1st question. Out of home? I'll tell you what's out of home, the XML drop-in, it's shipped out of home :)

I did like the XPG one better, at 2.1 Amp, it looks just as bright as the XML /2.8A with a bit more punch in the center of the beam, which is a pretty broad beam. Plus 25% longer run time than the XML, the XPG is the winner.

For the remaining drop ins, I am getting some SMOs, wanting to push the XPE & EZ900 XRE a bit further...

Im chassing you down. lol

My EZ900 XR-E's from DX should be at my place soon. I hope to use the Surefire TIR Optic instead of the SMO reflector because I think I will get more throw this way. We will have to see.

Who will hit 15K~18K lux with Reflector or Surefire TIR First P60 Style????????:naughty:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the TIR with EZ900 already, the beam isn't as perfect as the EX100, so I scrapped that idea.

OK, lets see what's the highest lux we can get , not who get to 15K 1st, my SMO just got ordered, will take forever to get here. :(

Last edited:

Epsilon

Enlightened
Slight kick ;)

XP-G @ 2.1A, that's impressive. I Have a 8x7135, XP-G R4's, XM-L T6 and a TR801 Host (well, disassembled) in front of me now and trying to chose the right road to go ;).

Question is, does the XP-G run fine at 2.1A for longer times? I can imagine that 2.1A is just to much, so maybe 5x7135 is a better high impact option. XP-G will be the one probably, because this host only has a 18mm reflector, so even less throw. It does throw great with the XR-E that's in it standard :).

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
XPG 2.1A no problem with a typical star. That's only a bit over 30% overdrive from spec 1.5A max. the result is a XML like spill & still a big spot , but with more punch at the center, plus 30% more run time than XML 2.8A. This is speaking for P60 host, if your host is smaller, 5x7135 is probably the right thing to do.

Even XRE can be driven at over 2Amp given adequate heat sinking:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...uper-thrower-Lighthouse-beam-shot-vs.-35W-HID

This XPG drop-in ended up being my keeper, I sold the XML drop-in after comparing the two.

Last edited:

Epsilon

Enlightened
Made the mod with 5*7135 yesterday. A lot more flood than with the XR-e. But the reflector is far from ideal, it works much better with the xr-e. Will try the same driver with the xr-e, and go look for a better reflector for the xp-g.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try LXP optics if you can make it fit,
one of the best for XPG, 21mm with shell, 19mm bare lens,

Epsilon

Enlightened
Will look into those! Tries an xr-e with 1.7A yesterday, which at least with the reflector works much better. Thanks for the advice :).