PK Design Lab
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your EDC duo?

Default What's your EDC duo?

Like many others, I carry more than one light on a regular basis, and as we know (HDS fans to the contrary ) there is no one perfect light for every job. What combo for EDC have you come across that just seems to compliment each other best? My most recent is the Surefire Backup and the Zebralight H31FW. I've got both throw and flood, small size, one with an angled head, a decent lumen count, and they're both single-cell, which makes travel easier on carrying spares.

Here's a quick shot of the two

Default Re: What's your EDC duo?

My backup is a Peak Eiger #8 or Peak 3-LED Matterhorn (both in stainless steel). The main carry light varies, although it is usually a Peak El Capitan #8.

Other main carry lights options include a Surefire L1 (Cree), Leatherman LGX200 (aka Fenix L1T v2), Peak P4 Caribbean, Fenix LD05 penlight, and an Energizer 1AA variable brightness flashlight.

Last edited by parnass; 04-09-2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

For me it's my SC50w+ with DC-fix on the lens and a Quark 123^2 XPE/Q3-5A head on an AA body with a 14500. Gives me a floody and a throwy light whenever I need one.

Edit:

Since most everyone is also including their blade/multitool EDC I'll add mine... Now that it's spring, and I live in a very wooded area and we've had a LOT of rain the past month or so, the ticks are getting out of control... so I've been EDC-ing my Gerber Crucial as the needle-nose pliers are perfect for plucking and squishing the little blood suckers... I also like the sheep-foot style blade it has as it's very good for small scraping and cutting jobs I encounter from day to day. When I want a dedicated blade I carry my new Spyderco Tenacious; best quality Chinese made folding knife I've ever had.
    Last edited by B0wz3r; 04-10-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    What? Me? Derail a thread?

Flashaholic

Right now I am fond of a McGizmo 6V XM-L Mule and pair it with a Mac's Customs TRI-EDC Copper Warm.

There is something about that Mule that keeps me from putting it down. I have always been a fan of mule style lights but this one is something to behold!

Thanks

Chef

Currently,
    HDS high CRI clicky
    &
    Malkoff MD2(clipped) M61WL

Flashaholic*

I've ended up on a slightly similar setup to yours, actually.

- ZL H31, which is in my jacket's upper arm pocket. It's got a headband and a spare battery in a plastic bag for maximum flexibility. It's there for when I either forget or lose my primary light, which has actually happened once and resulted in having to use this light for inspecting the exhaust of a vehicle. I never remove it, so it's always there, can't 'forget' it.

- Surefire 6P with Nailbender XM-L dropin in my backpack, along with two spare batteries.
    - When I don't have my backpack, an LX2 with a Malkoff VME head and M61 clipped to my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by chef4850 View Post
    Right now I am fond of a McGizmo 6V XM-L Mule and pair it with a Mac's Customs TRI-EDC Copper Warm.

There is something about that Mule that keeps me from putting it down. I have always been a fan of mule style lights but this one is something to behold!

Thanks

Chef
    Any chance of getting a picture of the Tri-EDC in your hand? Trying to convince myself I need one.
    Current EDC Lights: Mac Tri EDC 45K 1st Gen. Orange Cerakote, K2-MS, FB1/E1E and ReVo SS | My EDC Items

Flashaholic

Shomie911 - I can not do pictures as I do this at work and do not have a computer at home (Work too much as it is and having one at home well that would be even more work).

So let me help you out............you need one!

It is a surprising light. Soooooo.......bright and I really like the weight of the copper.

Thanks

Chef

E1B
    +
    LX2 or Streamlight PT2L

Shomie911 - I can not do pictures as I do this at work and do not have a computer at home (Work too much as it is and having one at home well that would be even more work).

So let me help you out............you need one!

It is a surprising light. Soooooo.......bright and I really like the weight of the copper.

Thanks

Chef
    I have an aluminum SST-50 EDC on the way, but I think the weight of the copper and the beamshape of the Tri-EDC might be a little better for me.

I'm going to carry the SST-50 EDC with me for a while and write a review, we'll see if I still want to trade up to the Tri-EDC.

Maybe I'll just do the flashaholic thing and have both.

Edit:

To stay semi-on-topic, here's a pic of my duo:

RA Clicky 140-Cn and an Arc-P
    Last edited by shomie911; 04-09-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    Current EDC Lights: Mac Tri EDC 45K 1st Gen. Orange Cerakote, K2-MS, FB1/E1E and ReVo SS | My EDC Items

I use a dual light setup daily and feel at a loss without either one of them. Dereelight CL1H with a nailbender SST-50 3 stage drop in and an IMR battery, normally stored at the max setting in a belt holster. This is the 'oh crap' light, about ~450 lumens OTF in a great big beam, lights up everything!

Liteflux LF2XT programmed with 3 modes and mode memory turned on, usually stored at the lowest setting at night for navigation about the house, and stored at either medium or high during the day. Always clipped inside the back of my right-hand pocket of whatever I'm wearing. I work on computers a lot and having that little light always available for a quick peek inside the machine is perfect!

The only thing I don't have is excessive throw, but for 99% of my tasks I don't need it. If I had to I could drop my XP-G into the CL1H and have a bit more in the throw department.

Banned

I keep my Yezl Z1X by my side at all times. With that light, I just don't see the need for another light on my person. However, there are other lights scattered around my house, car and toolbox just in case I really need another one.

Fenix E05 on the keychain / Preon Revo in the wallet... when necessary, a E1B in my pocket.
    -Goatee

Flashaholic

shomie911 - you have a PM

Chef

Hello all,

My EDC duo is ...
    First - my NiteCore Smart PD D10 SP R2, in Camo and with a Trit, clipped to my left hand front pants pocket.
    Second - my NiteCore Smart PD D10 SP R2, in Natural and with a Trit, in my always close at hand EDC bag. I also keep a spare Lithium AA battery in my EDC bag.

I have had need twice for the strobe feature. I also find the one-handed usability and light pattern almost perfect for my needs.

In short, I can't find a better flashlight for myself.
    Enjoy the light show - LedTed

Enlightened

shomie911 - you have a PM

Chef
    Received and replied.

Flashaholic*

I carry my HDS high CRI Clicky holstered on my belt and my zebralight H501w clipped to the front of my cell phone holster. It occurs to me that I almost never use the H501w except to play with. I use my HDS 100% of the time, but I can't stand the thought of being caught without an AA light just in case I need to scavenge cells. Perhaps I'd be better served by an H51w or H51Fw.

I also carry an ITP A3 EOS on my keychain, but I never use it myself, it's my loaner so that my HDS and Zebralight never leave my sight.

--flatline
    Last edited by flatline; 04-09-2011 at 03:11 PM.

First:Quark AA w/deepcarry clip & 14500 in right front pocket.
    Maratac AAA on my keys.

Second:nitecore D10 tribute w/green trit w/titanium kuku clip either clipped right front pocket or holstered.
    Tiablo E3A exquisite down in my pocket or on a lanyard.

Third:Quark 123 titanium on belt holster, and SS maratac AAA or tiablo E3A in my pocket.
    Last edited by Nicrod; 10-02-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    Im looking for an HDS in Cerakote, Olive drab or Orange or any other cool color. PM ME

HDS High CRI sits in my pocket every day. Mag 2AA LED chills in the holster on my Typhoon.
    "When Armageddon comes, it would be good to be an Olympic athlete, because running real fast and jumping over stuff could come in handy." -Jack Handey

Either these 2!

Or these 2!

Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Quote Originally Posted by LedTed View Post
    ...I have had need twice for the strobe feature...
    Sounds interesting; what happened?

Brightnorm

HDS High CRI Clicky - deep pocket EDC
    Fenix E05 R2 - keychain

I always have my ITP A3 EOS on the keychain, and my EDC is the Sunwayman V10R, with the rotary control ring. But I have on order the Jetbeam RRT-0, so the Sunwayman will probably be replaced.

FM E series 18350 body + 3x XPE E1 Head with a IMR 18350 as my main edc, Fenix E05 in my keychain and a VG FB2 body with a E2D head and a kuku tower runing with a 17670. That way if I need more battery I can switch the bodies.

Enlightened

i like to have a single cell cr123 light in combination with a small single cell AAA light.
    currently i carry:
    -Leatherman Serac S1 (underpowered)
    -Olight T-10 (no candlestand)

i am currently looking into upgrading my edc and im looking at:

-4sevens quark 123 regular
    -Jetbeam Jet-I Pro V3
    -Jetbeam BC10
    -Fenix PD20 R5

and:

-4sevens preon 1 modified (preon 2 + preon 1 body tube = dual option + clicky ui)
    -fenix ld01
    -fenix e05 r5
    -Itp A3 upgrade

also im thinking of rigging my gear with some fluorescant lanyards or beads or something,
    and getting a small UV light for easy recovery.

also to the same end im kinda curious about tritium marker glowy thingies.

For awhile (14 months or so) it's been:

Quark 123^2 Tactical R5
    iTP A3 EOS Upgrade

I might put my Q5 Fenix P1D back on the keychain though.
    My current favorites: Quark 123^2 Tactical, EagleTac T20C2, Thrunite TN11, Fenix P1D, ZebraLight SC51W

Keychain E05
    Under my wallet (at the bottom of my pocket) Fenix L15

Peak Brass Eiger on my keychain which backs up a Ti PD-S

-Mayo

Excellent choices mentioned.
    Regarding some of the lights pictured...are those lights actually EDC lights? Some of the items look like safe queens...
    Or perhaps the photos were taken back then, when the items were new .