terralux lightstar300 or other 2xAA light?

yazovyet

Enlightened
I'm looking at getting a new flashlight. I want to use AA batteries (looking at 2 x but suppose i could go 3x, 4x, or 1x) and naturally i am looking for a lot of light output for a low cost. i currently have a maglite (2x AA with the LED) but I am looking for something more powerful.

The one i currently have in my sights is terralux's lightstar300, says it has 300 lumens where as my current mag should have around 55. Most websites seem to be selling it for around 45 but since I live in canada the shipping/customs adds a significant amount.

so i would like to ask:
1) Does anyone have this light? have people heard good or bad things about it?
2) Does anyone know a place in canada selling it?
3) Is there something else you would recommend at a similar price range? (and why)

darcyh

Newly Enlightened
Hello:
I have a TL 200 and it is okay. White beam, good construction quality and a lifetime warranty. For close to the same price I have a Fenix E21 which seems to be brighter and better made. I would suggest you look at the E21.
FWIW, Terralux immediately replaced a defective 'flare light' no questions asked. They are based in the USA. I have not had any need to deal with Fenix customer service so I cannot comment on it.

I do not know where you can buy these in Canada. I have experienced good service from Battery Junction and they ship to Canada (except Surefire stuff).

Good luck.
Dave

Last edited:

Jackasper

Enlightened
Another good option is Eagletac's P100A2. I love mine, it's been very reliable and it has an excellent beam @ or around 200 lumens OTF. I personally don't think you can go wrong for under $40. 2 x AA. Simple UI (pushbutton tailcap for on/off and twist for hi/lo).
Welcome to CPF

LilKevin715

Enlightened
First off Yazovyet welcome to CPF:welcome:

For budget 2 x AA lights you do have a few options. I own the older Terralux Lightstar 220 and its a decent light and will surely be better than your current minimag LED. However the output is not 220 lumens OTF (out the front), but rather at the emitter (maybe 150-160 OTF). I imagine the 300 model has a similar rating (at the emitter) as well. Currently the older 220 model is on clearance for around $20 and is a good bargain to get you started on if you considered it. The newer 300 model for $40-45 looks decent, but there are better lights out there for the same or less money. The 300 model seems fairly new to the market so no one has gotten their hands on one yet to post a review.

The mentioned Fenix E21 and the Eagletac P100A2 are better in terms of finish/build quality for around the same price.

What kind of beam output (flood, throw, mix) and runtime are you looking for? Irreguardless of that most members here will highly recommend nimh rechargeable batteries (especially LSD - low self discharge) as alkaline batteries cannot sustain enough current on high modes.

There is plently of info on the forums here, I'd highly recommend the search feature if you want to do some research on any particular model you are interested in. Oh yea, be careful and hang on to your wallet as this particular hobby can be addicting.;)

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I have a Terralux 300, and while it is a good value and a well built light, the rating is generous compared to higher priced options.. I have Nitecores & Jetbeams that are rated in the 240/260 range that are seemingly brighter.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another good option is Eagletac's P100A2. I love mine, it's been very reliable and it has an excellent beam @ or around 200 lumens OTF. I personally don't think you can go wrong for under $40. 2 x AA. Simple UI (pushbutton tailcap for on/off and twist for hi/lo).
Welcome to CPF

I will second this one. I bought a friend one in a neutral tint and it's a great value and well built. Better than average throw from a light in this price range.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
It looks like the new budget 2xaa champion may be the new Jetbeam BA20, for now... I'm going to order one tomorrow $ find out for myself.

yazovyet

Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for their help. the ba20 and Eagletac P100A2 look quite appealing in this price range however after looking over the cpf a bit, i am seriously considering modifying my mag 2d and/or my mini mag. so i am off to the home made section!

thanks again