Batteries for Tri-EDC

treesloth

Newly Enlightened
This is going to be one of those questions that exposes a lot of my ignorance, but I guess that one must be willing to do that sometimes to get smarter. I'm mulling over a Tri-EDC. These are some of the most amazing bits of sculpted metal anywhere. I've tried to find an answer to this, but so far have failed.

Can I use regular old CR123A batteries, such as my stock of Surefires and Streamlights, in the Tri-EDC? I note that Mac's site says:

Single R123 / 16350 / UltraFire 18350 Li-Ion Cell Powered

Regrettably, I don't know if "R123" includes what I call CR123A. Anyway, thanks in advance, and please feel free to lay on me any supplemental knowledge you think I lack. :)

Last edited:

zehnmm

Enlightened
Having tried all three rechargeables with my Tri-EDC, I would recommend the AW IMR 18350 over the others.

Hello rich297. Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you also share runtimes for each of the three? Again, thanks!

rich297

Newly Enlightened
Hello rich297. Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you also share runtimes for each of the three? Again, thanks!

I've never done actual runtime tests with any of the batteries. I would estimate the AW IMR 16340 to run about 15 minutes in high mode and the other two, about 20 minutes. Keep in mind, you're only supposed to run high mode intermittently due to heat. In actual use, I run the light in low or medium mode most of the time and only occasionally high mode for less than a minute at a time. The reasons why I recommend the AW IMR 18350, safer chemistry, no protection circuit needed, better runtime than IMR16340 and my Tri-EDC simply did not run well with the Ultrafire . The driver would make a whining sound in mid-mode and I sometimes had to unscrew the head of the light about a quarter turn to be able to get the light to turn on at all. No such problems with either AW IMR cell.

Last edited:

zehnmm

Enlightened
Thanks, rich297.

FYI, I have been running my Tri-EDC with the orange colored Ultrafire 18350s for about 2 months now. So far, so good. My not-so-scientific estimate of capacity is 900 - 1000 mah, versus the advertised 1200. Fortunately for me, I have not experienced the whining noise.

I rotate four of them; keep them topped off frequently; run one to about half of its capacity, then pop in another.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience.

rich297

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, rich297.

FYI, I have been running my Tri-EDC with the orange colored Ultrafire 18350s for about 2 months now. So far, so good. My not-so-scientific estimate of capacity is 900 - 1000 mah, versus the advertised 1200. Fortunately for me, I have not experienced the whining noise.

I rotate four of them; keep them topped off frequently; run one to about half of its capacity, then pop in another.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm glad to hear that the Ultrafires are working well with your Tri-EDC. Perhaps I had a defective cell. All I know for sure is that my light had issues with the Ultrafire and I own no other light that accepts a 18350. I wound up shipping it off to Mac and obtained the AW through the generosity of ElectronGuru. I think you're wise to top-off frequently given the lack of protection circuit. Be Careful!!!!!:) :)

brandocommando

Enlightened
That is a good cell and it will work but, if you look on Mac's website it says that the AW 18350 it the "preferred cell" for the Tri-EDC.

That's what I use...:whistle:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there,

I need to give this a noob bump. ;)

I have a Tri EDC heading my way and I was intending on using this rechargeable cell right here:
http://www.lighthound.com/AW-RCR123a-Protected-750-mAh-Battery_p_114.html

Is that totally wrong? What would happen if I did?

The AW IMR 18350 is a safer chemistry and it also supports a higher power draw than the one you reference above. I've got some in my bag - I think they are higher capacity rated as well (I should know...)

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW18350 = 700 mah.
AWrcr123 = 750 mah.

That's what the labels say anyway...

Yes thats what the labels state but in a high current draw like as the tri-edc's the IMR cell will actually last longer. Also the Black Protected cell is only rated at 2c discharge which is only 1.5amps. The Tri-EDC can draw 2.8amps with a fully charged cell.

Mac

mikesantor

Enlightened
I dont mean to semi thread jack but i figure we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Is everything tbat has been said for the tri edc the same for the xml edc? In regards to current draw, etc? I k ow i asked Mac via pm which is better for the xml and he said the imr over the regular 18350. I just want to make sure its for the same reason as the tri edc...

Midnight Run

Enlightened
Thanks y'all!

It seems that unprotected cells can't discharge beyond a certain point without getting damaged.
Is that an issue? That's what stopped me from getting the 18350 in the first place.
Sorry to ask some really basic questions for most of you but it is a little confusing, when you get started, to have all these cells that are mostly the same size but will only work with such and such lights ;).

Last edited:

asr3510

Newly Enlightened
sorry for jumping in here, this actually being my first post, i just signed for CPF, i actually ordered a tri-edc last week, but im trying to understand the battery situation a little more, what are my options if any for a disposable battery, if i dont want to bother with rechargeable or forget to charge, will i damage the light with a cr123a or it wont even fit, sorry for my complete lack of understanding, but i have one on the way and i dont know how the battery situation works

thank you every one

chili77

Newly Enlightened
In my understanding you will not damage the lamp, but it will not work propper because the energy is to low.

It would be interresting if it would work anyway.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry for jumping in here, this actually being my first post, i just signed for CPF, i actually ordered a tri-edc last week, but im trying to understand the battery situation a little more, what are my options if any for a disposable battery, if i dont want to bother with rechargeable or forget to charge, will i damage the light with a cr123a or it wont even fit, sorry for my complete lack of understanding, but i have one on the way and i dont know how the battery situation works

thank you every one

There is no option for a disposable battery. On the Tri-EDC webpage it's lists the compatible battery's and cells. At the cost of disposable CR123's at $2 each a $5 or $7.50 rechargeable cell that will give you hundreds or recharges is the way to go. For under $20 you can get 2 ultrafire 18350's and a 2 cell charger.

asr3510

Newly Enlightened
Its just good to have a disposable option in the event of an extended blackout or just forgetting to charge them