NiteNumen
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just started a dental flashlight project

Default Re: Just started a dental flashlight project

Constantine, how has did the project turn out. I am trying to decide if I should tackle something like this. I too am a dental student looking for a cheaper solution. Are you taking any orders???

Quote Originally Posted by dahleryan View Post
    Constantine, how has did the project turn out. I am trying to decide if I should tackle something like this. I too am a dental student looking for a cheaper solution. Are you taking any orders???
    Hi,

Sorry I 've not answered earlier. I am in the middst of a delayed final examination period. I use the light every day now. I have not had the time to upgrade it with a new lower consuption led and a new power source as mentioned. I made some of them last year for 8 students here at my school. I believe its easy to make them if you find someone to fabricate the body for you. I can email you the design for it. Just send me a pm. Have you seen a previous post of another dental student that sells them?

Quote Originally Posted by billyjones454 View Post
    Cool light! When I made mine, I used, neodymium magnet to mount them. its the best mounting system.

I'm not even remotely satisfied with 120 lumens however. I'll take a larger light for more lumens.
    Isn't 120 Lumens a bit too much? I mean, I use a lower lumens led and when I accidentaly flash it on someone (thankfully not my patients, as they wear protective glasses) the are extremely annoyed by it. I can see everything with it, without burning out the detail or making it unconfortable after 4+ hours of work. I believe that a more luminous led would hurt my eyes or give me a headache after a while. There is also the power consumption thing.

Quote Originally Posted by constantine_a_f View Post
    Hi,

Sorry I 've not answered earlier. I am in the middst of a delayed final examination period. I use the light every day now. I have not had the time to upgrade it with a new lower consuption led and a new power source as mentioned. I made some of them last year for 8 students here at my school. I believe its easy to make them if you find someone to fabricate the body for you. I can email you the design for it. Just send me a pm. Have you seen a previous post of another dental student that sells them?

Unfortunately, I can't pm until I have more posts. I would appreciate it if you would email me the plans. I don't really want to put my email up here so could you PM me? It might work that way. Thanks for your help.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by dahleryan View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't pm until I have more posts. I would appreciate it if you would email me the plans. I don't really want to put my email up here so could you PM me? It might work that way. Thanks for your help.
    can you send this to darkcurrent@gmail.com?

I'm thinking of building this myself

thanks

Great work Constantine! Seems these threads have a knack for popping up every now and then. It seems the incredibly high prices of commercial dental lights have driven quite a few people to investigate building their own. I will be adding myself to that list soon as this seems like the only way that some of us will have the means to use an light without strapping a. Fenix TK70 to our foreheads

Have you made any more changes to your design..?

Hello everyone. I am going to update the plans in the following month. I am aiming at a 60usd cost including batteries.

I will post the plans online and I can also probably manufacture some for anyone on base cost (60 usd) if I have some time.

Hi Constantine!

I´m a dentist like yourself, and a couple of years ago I had the same idea as yours, but gave up the dental-led project in the beginning. I ended up building my own 4.5x TTL loupes, with adjustable working distance which I use till today. I didn´t build it all, the oculars I bought already built from med-lite, but I did all the adaptations and set-up. I can show you pictures if you´re interested, and explain how I did it. After reading all of your posts, it gave me will again to build the led!

I have a lot of questions! eeheh.. May I ask some for you?

Thanks!

Constatine thanks for the great build information it is fantastic to see the progress of the light.

I too am a dental student and would love to replicate your success. It would be great to hear about the outcome of the upgrades you made at the end of 2012.

Also out of interest how did you end up mounting the light to the loupes?
    Did you ever look at putting a composite filter on your light?

Would be great if you had the time to share these new experiences with us.

Hello everyone. I am going to update the plans in the following month. I am aiming at a 60usd cost including batteries.

I will post the plans online and I can also probably manufacture some for anyone on base cost (60 usd) if I have some time.
    So I'm guessing this never happened?

Flashaholic*

Wow, what a surprise.

Someone promises generous rewards if members help them develop a product, so we help, then wait . . . . and wait . . . . and wait . . . . and wait

So what exactly would a person want in a Dental Illuminator? An intensely focused beam or a uniformly lit area? Is an adjustable aperture necessary or just nice to have? What other requirements would there be as far as performance?

Hi Harold good questions.

Personal preference for me would be a uniformly let area within a certain size to avoid light in the patients eyes. Adjustable aperture may be of great benefit as the working distance of the loupes is a set working length. I would even say dimming is of limited benefit but some people might like that. The ability to add a filter to filter out light wavelength of 470nm would possibly be the most important addition. A unit that didn't create too much heat with extended use but was light weight. High cri would also be important for tissue diagnosis.

I was at a tradeshow the other day asking reps a few questions about their products and was a little disappointed in their knowledge of their $2000+ items they had for sale.

Would be great to hear any advice I am planning to pit a few together after the middle of the year exams when I actually get some spare time.

Rather than promise all these things to people and neglect to follow up as I am abut of a noob when it comes to this and it will be my first project. Rather I should be able to manage to get back to those of you who help contribute I'd be happy to share any feedback, designs or plans that work after an initial trial period...

OK. There's a couple things on the list I where might be able to have something to contribute. I'll need more information on the specs though. Spot size needs to be defined by the beam angle, preferably a half angle half max specification. How much "huzz" light around the main spot (beyond the cut off) is acceptable? Spec this in percent. Uniformity of the output should be defined as percent change over a specific area at a distance. I assume the 470nm filter is for use while applying UV adhesives? Overall size of the package would be nice to know also.

We recently designed a series of optics for Dow Corning that will be on display in their booth at LightFair for demonstrating their injection moldible silicone. The optics were designed as demo kits using retrofits for the Maglite XL-50 and there may be an option to use one of those systems. The one that comes to mind is a collimator that uses three aspheric lenses. Adding the proper diffusor would get the uniform spot and it would be bright. We've done in this our lab so I know it works but we'd have to get the right diffusor spec'd for this application.

I'll be at LightFair all next week so I can keep my eyes open for high CRI LEDs in the 100-200lm range.

Excellent. Thanks for the questions. If anyone else has anything to contribute in relation to answering the questions or offering a different opinion then please post.

- The filter is only used during use of composite filling materials as they are a light curing material so the filter helps us increase working time.
    - Overall size of the package can be adjusted as I am planning to get the components and then design the body and go to a CNC mill to cut the aluminium to my specs. Ideally the smaller and lighter the unit the better as the more weight we have placed on the loupes the less comfortable they are to wear and the more they move out of position. I am currently aiming to get it down below 15mm external diameter.
    - The huzz light outside of the cut off I am not sure what a realistic value it here but the lower or close to 0% the better (0-15% might be acceptable).
    - Now the half angle half max value I am guessing that full width half max is similiar? I used that to work out that the beam angle should be somewhere between 5-8 degrees to give an appropriate sized spot
    - Uniformity of output the closer to 100% the better and I am not sure as to what an acceptable value is but >80%.

Hopefully this is what you were after Harold if not let me know and I can go back out there and do some more research to answer the questions put forward.

Thanks again.

One thing which is also worth mentioning is long runtime of course. So not generating a massive amount of heat in the unit is also something worth considering. A large battery pack would probably solve runtime issues though.

Thank Zenbaas,

Yeah I will need a battery that will give me at least 10 hours. Idea behind this is that it will give you a full day working time and some to spare so that you can charge over night. I am looking at incorporating the driver and a potentiometer into the battery pack. I am struggling to find an external battery pack which offers this options as premade at a reasonable price. So will initially start to look around at modifying an existing pack to meet the requirements. Possibly a powerbank designed for mobiles but regulate the power before the USB output. Looking to drive the LED at about 350mA to keep the heat down.

Anyone know where a battery pack can be sourced easily? I have looked at numerous places but short of designing my own and going to a Mill or Moulder I am out of luck...

Cheers rugby

Another question (I might have missed it) but how many do you plan to build?

Guys any updates on this.? I'm really keen to try and build one for my daily use as I really want to increase the quality of my work and this can only help in that regard.
    Last edited by Zenbaas; 07-14-2013 at 05:59 AM.

Ok nie have ordered some high CRI leds as well as the luxeon 700mA driver and a few other odds and ends.

What I am wondering about now is what batteries to use. I think 18650s is something I would like to try out first.

Other than the link to the tenergy battery carrier seen earlier in this thread had anyone seen anything else that looks worth investigating?

Something like this maybe...? http://dx.com/p/14-8v-4-x-18650-batt...h-leads-103855

I also found this battery carrier which seems to be a much better bet and If I could Mod it then it should work quite nicely..! ( http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/user.p...e&goodsid=1499 )
    Last edited by Zenbaas; 07-15-2013 at 06:15 AM.

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1499
    http://dx.com/p/4-x-18650-batteries-...d-black-128889 < similar to your cnqg link, but at DX and slightly different.

There seem to be a few of these sorts of boxes available, and I do think it would be awesome for your project. You can charge from USB, already has a mostly enclosed box, don't have to deal with individual cells. I don't know about what the internals are, but would be neat to actually put a nice charging circuit in there for balanced charging or cell monitoring. Or, get in the good habit of checking your batteries.

So just a quick update. Ended up ordering some batteries and battery holders from fast tech which has quite a nice selection. Now have to wait for everything to arrive!

Guys I need some recommendations. I have ordered the driver with the dimmer as per the original post below and will test that out but does anyone know of smaller drivers with smaller controllers(dimmers) perhaps that in could also consider using that will work..?

First of all I want to thank you all for the support. As I try to keep the budget down and the quality up, I will buy all the parts from one place (shipping is around 10 USD for every time I don't combine). I want a close to daylight cool white 6500K led. The reason I chose this one is because I currently work with this temperature and I find it very good as a mean of distinguishing pathological conditions. I will not do any color matching for restorative procedures under any type of artificial illumination. I use broad daylight for that (sometimes I even call my patients twice or three times in one day for that). I came down to this list from this shop because I find their drivers small, neat and uncomplicated. I think that 120-200 lumens is very high but again the standard of care is that I protect the patients eyes with protective glasses and I don't plan on powering the led that high. This is the list of the parts:

http://www.luxeonstar.com/Cool-White...s.htm?CartID=1
    http://www.luxeonstar.com/Carclo-8-7...3.htm?CartID=2
    http://www.luxeonstar.com/Harness-fo...p.htm?CartID=3
    http://www.luxeonstar.com/19mm-Squar...b.htm?CartID=5
    http://www.luxeonstar.com/Pre-Cut-Th...2.htm?CartID=4
    http://www.luxeonstar.com/Carclo-20m...5.htm?CartID=9
    http://www.luxeonstar.com/700mA-Ext-....htm?CartID=10

I calculated that I need a heat sink with around 20 C/W thermal resistance if I power the led at 700 mA (which is not the target as I said before). I am thinking of either incorporating a heat sink as the above or actually mounting a solid copper base at the end of the tubing. Harold, I would greatly appreciate if you run the simulation. Again thank you all.

PS I will post pictures in a DIY build log way. If you have some counter suggestions about the shop, led, driver,etc they are all welcome

Sorry for not being on here sooner my email must have junked the addition to the thread and I have been to busy with Uni to really give this anytime unfortunately. What I have found is that those 9 degree Carclo lenses just didn't give a narrow enough beam for my liking and had too much spill (I am thinking patient comfort here). I have moved on to looking at trying to use an aspheric lens setup but am having real troubles with trialing the lens to light source distance and the effect of the different diffusers (or if they are eben necessary) at the moment. I did end up opting for a similar style battery pack with the 4 x 18650s as a starting point but need to modify it still to put in the driver and dimmer. Once I work out a way to have a look at the light sources and what they 'look like' I may move onto talking with someone about the bezel but don't have any idea how to mount the lenses inside of the bezel. Finally I wanted to adopt a mount rather than design one for getting them to attach the loupes but that is going to be my final issue in the design process which I can't really see myself getting the time for until around the end of the year...

If anyone has any pointers in relation to the above points please feel free to share some insight it as always would be greatly appreciated!

Unenlightened

Great thread wow!

I do have a few questions though, since I will be starting a project like this soon. One of my most important priorities is a focused beam with very minimal side scatter at the edges of the beam. Where can I order glass lenses to place in the aluminum housing to focus the light? Are there any other techniques for minimizing this fuzziness on the edge. I will sit down and do the optics calculations for the lens to light distance and working distance I desire, but until that, any advice on where to actually purchase some small diameter lenses? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by buffalolume View Post
    Great thread wow!

I do have a few questions though, since I will be starting a project like this soon. One of my most important priorities is a focused beam with very minimal side scatter at the edges of the beam. Where can I order glass lenses to place in the aluminum housing to focus the light? Are there any other techniques for minimizing this fuzziness on the edge. I will sit down and do the optics calculations for the lens to light distance and working distance I desire, but until that, any advice on where to actually purchase some small diameter lenses? Thanks!
    No idea unfortunately. I haven't been able to progress any further either as I am having difficulty finding someone who can cnc the body for me. So it's a dead end at the moment until I figure that out.

How did it turn out? Your LED light is in use?

Flashaholic*

After reading several threads

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...dental-student
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...for-DENTAL-use
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ental-headlamp

I decided to give it a try and manufacture my own dental headlamp. I made a rough sketch using acad of what parts I plan on using/manufacturing.

I will use a Rebel White or Warm White LED mounted on a pcb star, 8 degree angle carclo optics and an 1 inch aluminum tube body + possibly a 19mm round X 20 mm high heatsink (the parallel lines, you will see as soon as I upload the drawing). Do you believe I might need a heatsink that big, or I could use something more compact. I was aiming at a 70-80 sqmm aluminium 6060 surface (12sqin). I will power the led with 8 AA NiMH batteries through a 700mA constant current regulator, connected with a dimmer. I am a dental student so please excuse any mistakes I make with the electronics or acad. I will post the acad sketch as soon as I am allowed by the forum administrator.

As i am not up to speed with dental lights,could you explain the advantage to you as a student and say myself as your patient.
    Sent from my Mobile using my sticky fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
    No idea unfortunately. I haven't been able to progress any further either as I am having difficulty finding someone who can cnc the body for me. So it's a dead end at the moment until I figure that out.
    Are you familiar with any of these guys?

http://www.emachineshop.com/
    http://www.protolabs.com/
    http://www.internetmachineshop.com/

I bet you could find someone to ship to RSA, and if you googled from that location, you might even find one more local. I didn't, but I'm in USA, and google has gotten very aware of locations.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    As i am not up to speed with dental lights,could you explain the advantage to you as a student and say myself as your patient.
    Better visibility when working. The better I see the better my work can be. Simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIWdiver View Post
    Are you familiar with any of these guys?

http://www.emachineshop.com/
    http://www.protolabs.com/
    http://www.internetmachineshop.com/

I bet you could find someone to ship to RSA, and if you googled from that location, you might even find one more local. I didn't, but I'm in USA, and google has gotten very aware of locations.
    Thanks will have a look again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast