Cheapest/Brightest Most Efficient Maglight Modification to date.

ljw2k

Enlightened
Hi all i am interested in modifying a 2D & 3D Maglight.
What i am interested in is What will be the best components on a budget to include either a All in One drop in Module or all seperate units as in LED ,driver ,reflector and so on.

I ask this as there are so many combinations to choose i am a little confused to say the least , what i would be looking for is answers with what parts as in the examples below:

MAGLIGHT CONFIGURATION 01

POWER SOURCE/BATTERY CONFIGURATION :

32600 3.7V 5000mAh D Li-ion Cell
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=2708

LIGHT/DROP IN MODULE:

CREE XML-T6 5-Mode 6700K 900-Lumen Smooth Aluminum Drop-in Module with Textured Reflector .
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cree-x...-drop-in-module-with-textured-reflector-58481

I know a little bit of work needs to be done to fit this into a 2D or 3D maglight but for around $50 or £30 UK Pounds looks a good upgrade from a standard Mag.
The batteries are unprotected ( Not Good ) and they are 63mm apposed to 60mm standard D cell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAGLIGHT CONFIGURATION 02

Cell type: IMR-26650
Capacity: 4000mAh (most cells are in the 4100-4200mAh range!)
Chemistry: LiMn2O4 (IMR)
Recommended charge current: <4A
Max charge current: 6.5A
Rated cycle life: 800 cycles @ 10A discharge
Normal discharge current: 10A
Max continuous discharge current: 20A
Max pulse discharge current (10s): 60A
Charge voltage: 4.20 ± 0.05V
Cutoff voltage: 2.50v
Nominal voltage @ .2C: 3.8v
Cell size and weight: 26.2mm x 66.5mm, 93g
Factory raised positive contact: easily makes contact in series!
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?249741-IMR-26650-4000mAh-sale-thread!

LIGHT/DROP IN MODULE:

5*Cree R2 1200-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module (52.7mm*42mm/8.4V Max)
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/5-cree...drop-in-led-module-52-7mm-42mm-8-4v-max-35241

With these batteries i would need a sleeve but a little safer and would also need to sink the spring into the tail cap as these are 66mm apposed to 60mm standard D Cell battery , again still needs some work to make the Drop in Module work in either Maglight total cost $65 or £40 UK Pounds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAGLIGHT CONFIGURATION 03

Protected 25500 3.7V "5500mAh" Rechargeable Lithium Battery
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/protected-25500-3-7v-5500mah-rechargeable-lithium-battery-26799

LIGHT/DROP IN MODULE:

SSC P7-C 2800mA LED Module with Copper Base (3.6V~8.4V)
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ssc-p7-c-2800ma-led-module-with-copper-base-3-6v-8-4v-14413

With these batteries i would need some magnets as they are smaller in size than a standard D Cell 54mm ,again still needs some work to make the Drop in Module work in a Maglight total cost $40 or £25 UK Pounds.

I would appreciate it if some of you guys could advise on what's already been said above and even better to show your recommendations.

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't quite understand why you're pairing these specific battery choices to each drop-in? A pair of any of those batteries would drive any of those dropins, and fit handily in a 2D Mag (with suitable tailcap and head spring fixes). Only the first dropin would run from 3s L-ion, so you could use it also for the 3D host (again with any of the batteries).

Since the DX 25500/C cells have the least capacity, I wouldn't even consider them for a D-Mag mod like this -- they do go nice in a 2C Mag, though...

Another battery option, if you were bent on running an 8.4V max dropin in a 3D, would be a LiFe 32900 (F cell), but the 4.5Ah capacity is poor, and I doubt you will find a use for 90A...:eek:

Also, probably you already knew, but those WF-500 dropins aren't quite dropins in a Mag -- you need to either remove the threads (+ a bit) on the reflector rim, or remove the first 1/8" or so of the Mag's threads. And obviously connect it electrically...
Oh, and DX now has a 6xQ5 as well as the 5xR2 -- can't say if it's brighter or not, because it hasn't got here yet. Another choice... just what you need, eh?:nana:

ljw2k

Enlightened
Benson thanks for the reply and the 3 different configurations was just a sample no specific battery type and this is why i need input to which battery would work best the liFe 3200 ( F Cell ) batteries not see those before but dont look like i would want to use.

Let me know about your 5xR2 when it arrives as that states 1200 Lumens apoosed to 900-1000 for the XML.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me know about your 5xR2 when it arrives as that states 1200 Lumens apoosed to 900-1000 for the XML.
No, I've got the 5xR2, it's the 6xQ5 I'm waiting on. (Probably be 2-3 weeks yet, so don't wait for me -- should be minimal brightness difference either way)
And the 5xR2 is definitely brighter than my SST-50 WF-500 dropin; I'd bet money it beats that XM-L, too, but I don't have (and don't plan to get) the XM-L for actual comparison.

As for the WF-139 charger... recent versions aren't bad, as cheap chargers go (no overcharge if you remove the batteries within an hour or so after the light goes green), but it charges at about 400mA, so it'll take over 12 hours to charge. I don't think any of the readily available chargers accepts 32600 cells, so you'll probably end up buying a couple single-cell D battery holders and soldering them up -- I'd go with the sku.6105 -it'll at least finish overnight; parallel both channels to one cell holder (and use two chargers) to get faster.

Really, I'd probably go for the IMR26650s -- 20% capacity cut's not huge, and while the safety doesn't bother me much (I use unprotected LiCo cells regularly), they'll fit directly in sku.6105 (one per charger), and are more useful if you decide to go the hotwire route later on.

Also, I don't know how hard the flashaholic bug bit you, and I know you're aiming for low cost here, but some charger advice... I started with a TR-002 from DX, tried another model or two, eventually stepped up to a couple sku.6105s, then when I set up a 5xIMR26700 hotwire, I bought five dedicated sku.6105s just to recharge all 5 cells at once. At this point, I had invested something like $80 in Li-ion chargers (and a fair bit in 2 NiMH/NiCd chargers), and then I finally bought a BC-8 hobby charger that mostly replaces them -- now it can charge my 5xIMR26700 setup at 5A instead of using 5 chargers to get a measly 1.5A! I'd still want an sku.6105 or two (one at home, one at work) for convenience, but I could have saved a lot of money if I'd just sprung for the hobby charger up front.

I'm not saying my regrets will apply to everyone who starts with 2-slot chargers, just something to consider.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I believe that the Ultrafire WF-188 charger will accept two larger cells at a time - including 32600 cells. It also offers two charge rates (to allow for small and large capacity cells) and has two voltage settings for different cell chemistries.

ljw2k

Enlightened
Thanks for the above and i have ordered the wrong chargers what a fruitcake ! WF-139's :(