ArmyTek
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

Enlightened

Grinser2 Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

Hello to all, Thanks to everyone that has added to this post it convinced me to finally purchase the Abyss "S". I sourced it from a Amsterdam company for £1035 delivered to uk.

Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

Jonnyg7lus, if what you wanted was one (the best?) of the finest high-power and rugged HIDs made, you have made the correct decision! It is an excellant light and you will not be disappointed! Congrats!

Karl

Enlightened

I cant wait for delivery, The only thing I haven't seen a beam comparison between ph40/50 and the abyss. i'm very interested in the reflector difference.

Jon

I am most fortunate to have the PH50 and the Abyss "S" but alas, no camera equipment capable of capturing the differences at this point. Hopefully Patriot will be able to do so. I will try to get out over the weekend with mine and (presuming fewer violent storms) be able to give a better description than I did in my previous post. I can say that without a question I much prefer the more compact form factor of the Abyss. Karl

Enlightened

I finally took delivery of the Abyss U2 today and WOW!!!! what a fantastic light, It has a compact feel and smooth action. It has a fantastic beam pattern and having used the PH35 I can say that the beam pattern is very practical for hotspot and periferal light. The polarion is just amazing and the light is SMALL!. I have purchased the light for use at work which is land based the only worrie I have is that the literature states that as the light is designed for use in water after 25-30 mins it may cut out due to thermal protection. I have not done a complete runtime test yet, I'm just hoping the British weather will keep the unit cool. I'll post information on here when I have done a full run test on both power output levels. I am in the process of making a flexible handle and holster attachment. I will post pictures when they are complete. I also briefly did a comparison beam test between the Boxer 24W and the polarion and the difference was huge. The boxer which I have used for a few years as my primary light, it does have an adjustable beam but compared to the Polarion it was simply Dim.

I am still trying to save up for this light, almost there.
    Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

Enlightened

Well having recieved the polarion I have found that this is such a compact light i wanted a way to carry it on my duty belt. I decided to make a leather belt case but also to make a leather strap to replace the handle as this makes it much smaller and easier to carry. The bezel is completely covered in leather so is completly protected. I have also fitted my belt with a yoke that puts the weight on my shoulders rather than my waist, it works well although not the best if i have to run!!!!!!

The leather works well with heat, It sits well on my duty belt i will post a picture when i have the chance.

Flashaholic*

^^^^^^ very nicely done on that leather case.
    -- CUE

+1

Karl

Flashaholic*

Very nicely done. I always wondered what a Polarion would look like in a holster.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Popcorn Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

So, when will some of you lucky guys who happen to own this beauty finally post some nice beamshots? Patriot?

Matt

Wish I could Matt but I'm waiting for the next "right" camera for me to do what I want---my point and shoot permits no manual control I'm afraid.

Karl

Anybody have any photos of the case or soft case, about to order this tonight or tomorrow that's the only thing i cant think about.

alex
    Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

Quote Originally Posted by 276 View Post
    Anybody have any photos of the case or soft case, about to order this tonight or tomorrow that's the only thing i cant think about.

alex
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAUpqVL6X_A

Found this review of Abyss with soft case, but not in English.
    Hope this help.
    Last edited by grayhighh; 07-20-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grayhighh View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAUpqVL6X_A

Found this review of Abyss with soft case, but not in English.
    Hope this help.

thank you .... i should have realize that, especially since i have that youtube page in my favorites.

Enlightened

Here's a picture of polarion on my duty belt next to my 6px tactical.
    Last edited by Jonnyg7lus; 07-25-2011 at 02:46 PM.

That's cool !!

I ordered one on Thursday and i am anxiously waiting for the email saying shipped.

Flashaholic*

Any of you guys using any filters with you polarions? I have the diffuser, green and a couple custom ones that are awesome.
    -- CUE

2 more days till mine arrives. When i get it i was think of getting a green or diffuser filter.

Got my Polarion yesterday. Damn this thing is awesome! Smaller than i was thinking got to find an open area or hope for a blackout to see what this can do.

Hi guys.
    If you want a very wide diffuser, look at this:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-with-Polarion
    Polarion Night Reaper, PH50, PH40, PF40 +10 battery +18 filter.

A question about the Abyss dual S or D ,

On the Polarion USA website there are two conflicting reports :
    We can read this on the pdf :

NOTE: This HID searchlight is intended for Underwater Use and requires the cooling characteristics of the
    surrounding water to facilitate proper heat dissipation. This light will deactivate if the internal

temperature of the light rises to a specified point. The U2 Abyss HID Searchlight can be re-activated when the system has cooled sufficiently.

And this on the abyss webpage to purchase :

Although the Dual Abyss searchlight was designed for underwater use, it is absolutely at home for land-based illumination requirements. No concerns in terms of overheating with this searchlight when it's out of the water.

Hard to know the truth ... ! What do you think about this ?

Thanks

BICKFORD

Flashaholic*

The Abyss can be used on land.

Quote Originally Posted by dudemar View Post
    The Abyss can be used on land.
    Ok thanks for your reply

BICK

anybody know if its normal for this light to have a parasitic drain on the battery. i ask cause the last time i did a full charge was end of august and as of now i only have two leds on the battery is this normal????

I was JUST about to say this is NOT "normal" and then I opened my case and tried to turn on my Abyss and....nuttin'!!!! I last used it late August and now, there are no LEDs lighting and it won't turn on!!!! This sure ISN'T "normal" or at least shouldn't be!!! Ken, Polarion reply.....?????

Karl

PS Just checked it with a voltmeter and....zero reading....
    Last edited by karlthev; 10-21-2011 at 05:09 AM.

Flashaholic*

After 3 years of constantly leaving them on full charge, my PH50 batteries are about dead. I can only conclude you guys experienced parasitic drain. That's too soon for your batteries to lose that much of a charge.

Update.....The battery charged up fine and I ran the light for about 15 min.........I'll keep you posted on any future drain, if any....

Karl

Super Moderator

Taking the battery apart and installing new cells is probably the way to go, for those brave enough to attempt it. There's a good thread about it here (some of you have already seen it.)
    Resistance is futile...

If i did that it would go Poof !!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast