Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

Patriot

Flashaholic
Here it is everyone, the Polarion Abyss Dual, or dual output HID light. The Abyss, previously known as the U2 but apparently no longer referred to by that designation, has been out for a couple of years now but the "Dual" is the latest version and offers a 2 stage ballast. Low output is 30W and 3000L while high output is 45W and 4500L with a color temperature of 4300K

This is the "S" version or "spot" model with a medium orange peel reflector. The other version is the "D" model which uses a heavily dimpled/scalloped reflector and tinted glass featuring 5500K color temperature, for use in photography.

Complete specifications can be found here: http://www.polarion-store.com/pd-polarion-u2-abyss-diving-light2.cfm I thought I'd start this thread with some pictures, then add my beamshots and video review as I get time to put everything together. Enjoy! Polarion Abyss Dual

PolarionU2AbyssDualS004p.jpg

PolarionU2AbyssDualS010p.jpg

PolarionU2AbyssDualS009p.jpg

PolarionU2AbyssDualS011p.jpg

PolarionU2AbyssDualS012p.jpg

PolarionU2AbyssDualS005p.jpg

PolarionU2AbyssDualS007p.jpg

PolarionU2AbyssDualS006p.jpg

PolarionU2AbyssDualS002p.jpg

PolarionU2AbyssDualS001p.jpg

PolarionU2AbyssDualS013p.jpg

PolarionU2AbyssDualS015p.jpg

I've had the light now for a couple of days and have 4 hours of run-time on it so far. I thought it would be a good idea to give the bulb at least a minimal workout before I started my beamshots and video this coming week. I'm very excited about this product thus far and quite blown away by the performance, especially considering it's size. It's notably smaller than the P series while outperforming the current P series in total light output. Despite having a MOP reflector, the throw remains extraordinary from its sub-three inch (72mm) reflector. The beam imperfections have been eased and softened but the hotspot is still very distinct and measures about 8" across at 25 feet.

I'm looking forward to taking beamshots of this light for you guys! Besides the obvious performance and flawless fit and HA finish, it's impressive to think that this light is dive rate to 330 feet! So far I can't think of a single data point about the Abyss where it comes up short. During the second run, I did manage to get it warm enough to redistribute much of the lubrication that was on the threads and double O-rings. It started to creep down the battery housing but stopped before getting the the electronic board and contacts. It looks like this thing was ready to dive with right from the factory judging from the o-ring lube. Underwater, I suspect that it would never get warm enough for the lube to migrate. I cleaned up the excess and it was good to go for the third run.

Now that I've been carrying the light around a bit I'd like to talk more specifically about the form factor of the Abyss and X1. It's a full 2" (50mm) shorter than the PH40/50 and this is really noticeable when trying to find a spot in my day pack for it. Some of you know from my videos that I take these lights into the field on a somewhat regular basis, so pack-ability is important to me. I'll often take a smaller, less capable HID along rather than stuff something in my pack that hinders my ability to quickly transfer gear in and out kit.

So far, this smaller form factor does make a difference and I foresee taking the Abyss on evening hikes where I'd normally leave the PH50 at home. An observation regarding the P series form, they were designed to be used with a handle in the case of the PH version or without in the case of the PF version. Since your hand must fit around the PF version or handle-less version, the PH version shares this longer, thinner design, albeit with the addition of a handle. It seems that if you're going to have handle anyway, the Abyss and X series lights make better use of space with their shorter, fatter bodies. Additionally, the Abyss's carry handle can be removed for storage but you'll loose the outstanding carry ergonomics.

Before the updated X1 and new Abyss, if we wanted a Polarion that was greater than 35W it was a necessary to get the larger P series. When the 40W X1 was introduced it matched the output of the PH40 but couldn't match the output of the PH50 thus there was still a benefit to purchasing the larger PH50. Since the PH50 has been discontinued and the PH40 is still 40W, that leaves the 45W Abyss Dual as Polarion's "powerhouse" model. Not only is it smaller than the PH40, it's brighter as well. Two things should be noted though. First, the Abyss might not be able to match the PH40's ability as a pure thrower since it's using a MOP reflector compared the PH40's smooth reflector. Secondly, I have a sneaking suspicion that there may be a P Series "Dual" in Polarion's future, and I suspect that they would utilize the same 30-45W ballast.

Current advantages over the X1 include; Dual output, 330' dive rating, Type III finish, improved/removable carry handle, and clean-able magnetic switch. There may be differences in the electronics as well but that's speculation on my part. Polarion is still using 2200mah cells, which is the only non-cutting edge, "fault" that I can deduct from Abyss at this point. Member "Lips" has modified at PH50 battery pack to use high end 2600 or 2800mah cells but I can't see myself doing that to a new battery pack. Having the 30W option and 110 minute run-time does sort of negate the issue of cell capacity in the Dual however. An updated or modified pack in the PH50 would be of great benefit since it's limited to just over 55 minutes of run-time. That's it for now. Beamshots and video later! :)

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Hmmmm....I've posted a bunch of beamshots over the last two nights so.....where are yours???:nana:

We want beamshots! We want beamshots!!

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been waiting for a very thorough review of the new Abyss! I look forward to reading your complete review and seeing new beamshots!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Haha....yes and you're beamshots were awesome Bob! With the mark set that high, I'm reluctant to even bother with my own shots...:grin2:

I'll try to get some beamshots up tonight for you guys.

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
Nice !

Have noticed something different, they've positioned the return wire at 6 o'clock so that the shadow appears in the 12 o'clock position in the beam.
That's a good thing, the shadow line wont be seen in normal use.

:thinking: how come they didn't do the same on their other lights ?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great observation SteveO. I noticed the same thing shortly after opening the package. Looking at it objectively, I don't know if the wire position is intentional or happenstance. I'd need another owner or rep to chime in with another example or two. Also, I guess it just really depends on what you're looking at whether or not the 12 o'clock is better 6 o'clock shadow. My PH50 for example has the wire at the 9 o'clock position which isn't ideal. With the Abyss though, there is no discernible wire shadow and I attribute that to the MOP reflector. This is my fifth Polarion light that I've owned and it has the most perfect beam yet with only a slight reduction in throw.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm a 6 O'clock shadow guy, myself. I've a very strong opinion on that.

So you prefer the shadow on the terrain out in front of you vs. having the shadow interfere with the top half of the beam? Makes sense but I think I'm still undecided. I can justify it in either position.

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
My wire is at 6 o'clock, opposite the handle. I just noticed something else. Check this out, when I picked up the light the LED showed the battery condition. If you rotate the light reflector up and down after holding it still, you get a battery reading you can see through the back. This is a great feature.

aehaas.

alantch

Enlightened
Nice !

Have noticed something different, they've positioned the return wire at 6 o'clock so that the shadow appears in the 12 o'clock position in the beam.
That's a good thing, the shadow line wont be seen in normal use.

:thinking: how come they didn't do the same on their other lights ?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, the ballast can be rotated in the tube, hence the wire position can be changed to your preferred position.

mdpvs7

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious about the handle - reading on the Polarion site, I understand the 3 tapped holes are provided for tripod mounting options, but is the grooved shape intended to be compatible with some type of rail-type mounting system? It looks similar to, but larger than, some of the standard military-type mounts. Also like the idea that it's removable - I have a PF40 that I really wish I could easily convert at times to a PH40 configuration - wish there was a bolt-on option here, but still love the light. Thanks

Patriot

Flashaholic
Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, the ballast can be rotated in the tube, hence the wire position can be changed to your preferred position.

I didn't know that. I'll have to take another look at the ballast mounting but after looking at the bulb replacement instructions for the PH40/50 it doesn't seem like that ballast can be mounted more than one way. I could be wrong though.

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed something else. Check this out, when I picked up the light the LED showed the battery condition. If you rotate the light reflector up and down after holding it still, you get a battery reading you can see through the back. This is a great feature.

aehaas.

Hi there AEHaas,

Does your light give the battery reading when it is turned ON and you move it about, or when it is OFF and you move it about, or both ?

Last edited:

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
I found out the contacts to the battery were not sprung enough to make good contact. This was the reason I got an LED reading by turning the light up and down. But the LEDs do light when you turn the light on and when you turn the light off.

aehaas

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have I been asleep at the wheel? I missed this bad boy. I am going to have to track one of these down and see what the real skinny is verses the X1 I have. Looking forward to the beamshots. I should have known both you and BVH would have this bad boy. :)

My X1 needs a friends.... or maybe my X1 needs a new home and this new dual output needs to come my way.

-- Curtis

Patriot

Flashaholic
Have I been asleep at the wheel? I missed this bad boy. I am going to have to track one of these down and see what the real skinny is verses the X1 I have.

-- Curtis

"Current advantages over the X1 include; Dual output, 330' dive rating, Type III finish, improved/removable carry handle, and clean-able, high friction, magnetic switch.

I took the beamshots a couple of nights ago but there's just too much moonlight. I'll again Wednesday evening. I really like the form factor, which of course is very similar to your X1.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious about the handle - reading on the Polarion site, I understand the 3 tapped holes are provided for tripod mounting options, but is the grooved shape intended to be compatible with some type of rail-type mounting system? It looks similar to, but larger than, some of the standard military-type mounts. Also like the idea that it's removable - I have a PF40 that I really wish I could easily convert at times to a PH40 configuration - wish there was a bolt-on option here, but still love the light. Thanks
It looks a lot like an "arca Swiss" compatible mounting rail (used on really high end tripod heads)
I think the Arca Swiss rail would be a bit fat to comfortably be held though

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened
Here is the Diffuse issue of the Polarion.
My driveway; close trees at around 10 yards, distant tree tops at around 25 yards:

Abyss 35:
abdrive35.jpg

Abyss 45:
abdrive45.jpg

PH40:
ph40drive.jpg

aehaas

These were at ASA 4,500. 1/30sec and F2.8. I then added exposure (same for all) to make it look close to what I saw in real time.
Every shot was aimed at the distant tree tops, same place the PH40 lights up. You can see the distant trees to the eye but not so well on film. In any event, a lot of light but good for only 25 yards with the "diffuse" model.

Last edited: