The Fenix-Store
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

Flashaholic

Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

The problem about this light is changing the Lamp , it supposed change by Polarion

The lamp ought to last at least 2,000 hours. I'd guess that would be 3-6 years down the road, probably more.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    The lamp ought to last at least 2,000 hours. I'd guess that would be 3-6 years down the road, probably more.
    Not to mention these bulbs can sustain pretty heavy abuse. I can only imagine how long the ballast will last. I want to say a lifetime but realistically I would guess 20~30 years with good use.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Flashaholic

Will you often turn on th light ?

Not sure if it is okay to post this but..... there is a ebay store selling the Abyss at a great price if anyone is interested. They say 9 in stock. I am not affiliated at all, just FYI. Mods, feel free to put this wherever.

I miss my PH40.....

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    Not sure if it is okay to post this but..... there is a ebay store selling the Abyss at a great price if anyone is interested. They say 9 in stock. I am not affiliated at all, just FYI. Mods, feel free to put this wherever.

I miss my PH40.....
    It's MSRP now. Even at the previous price I would've still bought from Ken. I've learned from my mistakes.

So far its been a little over a month since i have store the light with the battery out. Its a 15.44 Volts and has four leds lit.
    Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

Jan

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 01-20-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: double post

Jan 20th, 2012, 7:52 PM 14.41 volts. One LED lights when the Polarion is turned on then it blinks and then goes out.....I'm thinking a bad battery. Thoughts gentlemen?

Karl

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by matthewcyho View Post
    Have you own one too ?
    No, but I do have a PH50.

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    Jan 20th, 2012, 7:52 PM 14.41 volts. One LED lights when the Polarion is turned on then it blinks and then goes out.....I'm thinking a bad battery. Thoughts gentlemen?

Karl
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'm confident Ken will make it right, he always has.

2/5/2012 7:00 PM Ran for 35 minutes 13.80 volts

Karl

Karl

You began your test on 11/29 at a slightly low charged voltage of 15.4V or about 3.85V per cell if averaged out, and 5 LEDs displayed. Two months later your battery pack is 14.4V or 3.60V per cell average, and displays 1 LED. I think you have an unhappy battery, not specifically because it lost .25V per cell but over two months but because it didn't charge properly to begin with.

It's obvious that all of our packs are draining if stored inside of the light, as I verified once again after bringing it out for a desert hike last week. The battery was drained to a single LED once again after two months. I didn't check the voltage because I was in a hurry to get packed for my trip and needed to recharge the battery. A question that remains is if the self drain issue continues to drain the cells below 3.0V thus permanently damaging the cells. I suspect that although the auto turn off feature exists specifically to protect the cells during normal use, there's probably no circuit to prevent parasitic drain, which could potentially drain the cells down well below 3.0V. It's possible that's what you're dealing with now Karl, a damaged battery due to over drain on a previous occasion, before we were aware of the self discharge characteristic.

I remember before they fixed the original WiseLED Tactical, that would self discharge itself into oblivion as well and would destroy batteries. With that light we didn't have the option to remove the battery pack so the only answer was to leave it on the charger all the time when not in use. Not practical at all.

Certainly, I would love to be able to leave the battery in my Abyss when stored, just like the PH50, but it seems that's going to be a no, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    You began your test on 11/29 at a slightly low charged voltage of 15.4V or about 3.85V per cell if averaged out, and 5 LEDs displayed. Two months later your battery pack is 14.4V or 3.60V per cell average, and displays 1 LED. I think you have an unhappy battery, not specifically because it lost .25V per cell but over two months but because it didn't charge properly to begin with.

It's obvious that all of our packs are draining if stored inside of the light, as I verified once again after bringing it out for a desert hike last week. The battery was drained to a single LED once again after two months. I didn't check the voltage because I was in a hurry to get packed for my trip and needed to recharge the battery. A question that remains is if the self drain issue continues to drain the cells below 3.0V thus permanently damaging the cells. I suspect that although the auto turn off feature exists specifically to protect the cells during normal use, there's probably no circuit to prevent parasitic drain, which could potentially drain the cells down well below 3.0V. It's possible that's what you're dealing with now Karl, a damaged battery due to over drain on a previous occasion, before we were aware of the self discharge characteristic.
    I agree with Patriot on the 3.85 Volts per cell charge. There are many, very knowledgeable "battery-savy" people on RC Forums. It's pretty much the rule there that when a Lipo is not in frequent use, it's "storage charged" at 3.85 Volts per cell, give or take a hundredth. It is known that 3.85 Volts per cell is about 50% charged or maybe a bit less. At 3.6 to 3.7 Volts per cell, there isn't much left. It would appear as though your pack started its' test at about 50% state-of-charge.
    Last edited by BVH; 02-06-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Agreed. I think there was irreparable damage when the pack was inadvertently drained to zero charge and that is unfortunate. I will try to recharge and discharge several times--as you had suggested previously--to see what may result. I just don't seem to have the regular use needs which would lend itself to repeated, regular chargings. As Patriot has said, that may "force" us to remove the pack to avoid damage to future packs.

Karl

All the magnetic switch lights are going to use a little bit of current so recharging every few months to keep them topped is needed if you leave the battery inside. I find that I am using the Abyss more than the PH40 now. If anybody wants the PH40 without the case for $1,600.00 you can have it. I will keep the large case for the Abyss and my filters et cetera. PM me.

aehaas
    The most valuable machine guns in the world. Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

"Fully" (?) charged up the pack tonight to 16.03 volts. Leaving it OUTSIDE the light....just to see....

Karl

"Fully" (?) charged up the pack tonight to 16.03 volts. Leaving it OUTSIDE the light....just to see....

Karl

16.03V is still a bit low. Hot off the charger I'm getting 16.67V. You might check the output voltage of your charger just in case. Still, I'm curious to see if your battery pack holds expected voltage while outside of the light.

I'll be keeping all apprised. In the meantime I have submitted a ticket to Polarion with my concerns. I ordered this light May 11, 2011 and to see there are difficulties at this early date, PARTICULARLY with so little use is most disconcerting! We'll see what happens....

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 02-08-2012 at 04:57 AM.

After two months of storing mine outside of the light the voltage was 15.11 and i am down to two led's.

alex
    Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

This looks like an awesome light. I want one.

OT post removed. Thread is about the Polarion Abyss Dual "S". Please start your own thread re the other spot light if you wish.
    Last edited by Bullzeyebill; 02-14-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: OT

I ordered it today. Hopefully it will ship tomorrow and I'll have it by the end of the week. EEEEHaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
    I ordered it today. Hopefully it will ship tomorrow and I'll have it by the end of the week. EEEEHaaaa

Please post your thoughts and pictures when it arrives. I know you'll love it!

Double Posted
    Last edited by mirage98; 03-06-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Anyone of you upgrading to the Abyss have a PH40/PH50 they want to offload? I'm more than glad to take it off your hands

(Apologize if this double posts - IE froze as I submitted)

Unenlightened

I have just ordered one today ,upgraded to a hard case ,spare battery and red filter for spotlighting foxes , my rational was why pay out for 3 or 4 big LEDs when this one will do it all , hope it arrives soon

Darn, Phil, now I'm envious. I didn't get the hard case. I opted for the soft case. I never use the hard case that came with any of my equipment, be it big white Canon lenses for my main hobby of photography, or even the nice hard case that came with the SR90. I'm interested to see what the soft case is like.
    As to an extra battery, I'm sure there's one in my future. Right now I use my lights for approximately a 45-50 minute walk each night so one should suffice. I hope.

Patriot, I will def take pics when I get it. Ken emailed me and said it may ship today. They didn't have them in stock when I ordered it so they have to get them from Polarion and then ship it out. I'm dying that I didn't pay for faster shipping. I ordered it UPS ground, which if it's coming from California to NY, where I live, it will take a week. But I hate to waste money on faster shipping. Rather put that toward something material. Like an extra battery. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyphil View Post
    I have just ordered one today ,upgraded to a hard case ,spare battery and red filter for spotlighting foxes , my rational was why pay out for 3 or 4 big LEDs when this one will do it all , hope it arrives soon

If you don't specifically need a second battery for your operations, I'd get only one and use the heck out of it. When it wears out, get the second one. Having 2 at the same time will cause non-use aging to be a higher factor in the finite life of both batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    If you don't specifically need a second battery for your operations, I'd get only one and use the heck out of it. When it wears out, get the second one. Having 2 at the same time will cause non-use aging to be a higher factor in the finite life of both batteries.
    +1 to this.

A while back I was thinking of ordering another but it seems that I never need more than 50-60 minutes of HID light. If I need more light time, a compact LED will usually suffice. I guess I sort of use my HID's (especially the Polarions) as special purpose weapons. Guns vs. rifles.

Unenlightened

just thought it would be handy to have a charged battery when out spot lighting all night but maybe ill wait and see if i need it before i charge it the first time , also getting one @ $135 with the abyss was a good deal and saved on postage