The Fenix-Store
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 291

Thread: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

  1. #151
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    The problem about this light is changing the Lamp , it supposed change by Polarion

  2. #152
    BVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    CentCalCoast
    Posts
    5,771

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    The lamp ought to last at least 2,000 hours. I'd guess that would be 3-6 years down the road, probably more.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

  3. #153
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arnieland
    Posts
    2,305

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    The lamp ought to last at least 2,000 hours. I'd guess that would be 3-6 years down the road, probably more.
    Not to mention these bulbs can sustain pretty heavy abuse. I can only imagine how long the ballast will last. I want to say a lifetime but realistically I would guess 20~30 years with good use.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

  4. #154
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Will you often turn on th light ?

  5. #155

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Not sure if it is okay to post this but..... there is a ebay store selling the Abyss at a great price if anyone is interested. They say 9 in stock. I am not affiliated at all, just FYI. Mods, feel free to put this wherever.

    I miss my PH40.....

  6. #156
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arnieland
    Posts
    2,305

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Quote Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
    Not sure if it is okay to post this but..... there is a ebay store selling the Abyss at a great price if anyone is interested. They say 9 in stock. I am not affiliated at all, just FYI. Mods, feel free to put this wherever.

    I miss my PH40.....
    It's MSRP now. Even at the previous price I would've still bought from Ken. I've learned from my mistakes.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

  7. #157
    Flashaholic* 276's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,551

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    So far its been a little over a month since i have store the light with the battery out. Its a 15.44 Volts and has four leds lit.
    Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

  8. #158
    Flashaholic* karlthev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,726

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Jan


    Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 01-20-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: double post

  9. #159
    Flashaholic* karlthev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,726

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Jan 20th, 2012, 7:52 PM 14.41 volts. One LED lights when the Polarion is turned on then it blinks and then goes out.....I'm thinking a bad battery. Thoughts gentlemen?


    Karl

  10. #160
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arnieland
    Posts
    2,305

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewcyho View Post
    Have you own one too ?
    No, but I do have a PH50.


    Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    Jan 20th, 2012, 7:52 PM 14.41 volts. One LED lights when the Polarion is turned on then it blinks and then goes out.....I'm thinking a bad battery. Thoughts gentlemen?


    Karl
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'm confident Ken will make it right, he always has.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

  11. #161
    Flashaholic* karlthev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,726

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    2/5/2012 7:00 PM Ran for 35 minutes 13.80 volts



    Karl

  12. #162
    *Flashaholic* Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    10,291

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    Jan 20th, 2012, 7:52 PM 14.41 volts. One LED lights when the Polarion is turned on then it blinks and then goes out.....I'm thinking a bad battery. Thoughts gentlemen?


    Karl

    You began your test on 11/29 at a slightly low charged voltage of 15.4V or about 3.85V per cell if averaged out, and 5 LEDs displayed. Two months later your battery pack is 14.4V or 3.60V per cell average, and displays 1 LED. I think you have an unhappy battery, not specifically because it lost .25V per cell but over two months but because it didn't charge properly to begin with.


    It's obvious that all of our packs are draining if stored inside of the light, as I verified once again after bringing it out for a desert hike last week. The battery was drained to a single LED once again after two months. I didn't check the voltage because I was in a hurry to get packed for my trip and needed to recharge the battery. A question that remains is if the self drain issue continues to drain the cells below 3.0V thus permanently damaging the cells. I suspect that although the auto turn off feature exists specifically to protect the cells during normal use, there's probably no circuit to prevent parasitic drain, which could potentially drain the cells down well below 3.0V. It's possible that's what you're dealing with now Karl, a damaged battery due to over drain on a previous occasion, before we were aware of the self discharge characteristic.

    I remember before they fixed the original WiseLED Tactical, that would self discharge itself into oblivion as well and would destroy batteries. With that light we didn't have the option to remove the battery pack so the only answer was to leave it on the charger all the time when not in use. Not practical at all.

    Certainly, I would love to be able to leave the battery in my Abyss when stored, just like the PH50, but it seems that's going to be a no, no.

  13. #163
    BVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    CentCalCoast
    Posts
    5,771

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    You began your test on 11/29 at a slightly low charged voltage of 15.4V or about 3.85V per cell if averaged out, and 5 LEDs displayed. Two months later your battery pack is 14.4V or 3.60V per cell average, and displays 1 LED. I think you have an unhappy battery, not specifically because it lost .25V per cell but over two months but because it didn't charge properly to begin with.


    It's obvious that all of our packs are draining if stored inside of the light, as I verified once again after bringing it out for a desert hike last week. The battery was drained to a single LED once again after two months. I didn't check the voltage because I was in a hurry to get packed for my trip and needed to recharge the battery. A question that remains is if the self drain issue continues to drain the cells below 3.0V thus permanently damaging the cells. I suspect that although the auto turn off feature exists specifically to protect the cells during normal use, there's probably no circuit to prevent parasitic drain, which could potentially drain the cells down well below 3.0V. It's possible that's what you're dealing with now Karl, a damaged battery due to over drain on a previous occasion, before we were aware of the self discharge characteristic.
    I agree with Patriot on the 3.85 Volts per cell charge. There are many, very knowledgeable "battery-savy" people on RC Forums. It's pretty much the rule there that when a Lipo is not in frequent use, it's "storage charged" at 3.85 Volts per cell, give or take a hundredth. It is known that 3.85 Volts per cell is about 50% charged or maybe a bit less. At 3.6 to 3.7 Volts per cell, there isn't much left. It would appear as though your pack started its' test at about 50% state-of-charge.
    Last edited by BVH; 02-06-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

  14. #164
    Flashaholic* karlthev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,726

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Agreed. I think there was irreparable damage when the pack was inadvertently drained to zero charge and that is unfortunate. I will try to recharge and discharge several times--as you had suggested previously--to see what may result. I just don't seem to have the regular use needs which would lend itself to repeated, regular chargings. As Patriot has said, that may "force" us to remove the pack to avoid damage to future packs.

    Karl

  15. #165
    Flashaholic AEHaas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    All the magnetic switch lights are going to use a little bit of current so recharging every few months to keep them topped is needed if you leave the battery inside. I find that I am using the Abyss more than the PH40 now. If anybody wants the PH40 without the case for $1,600.00 you can have it. I will keep the large case for the Abyss and my filters et cetera. PM me.

    aehaas
    The most valuable machine guns in the world. Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

  16. #166
    Flashaholic* karlthev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,726

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    "Fully" (?) charged up the pack tonight to 16.03 volts. Leaving it OUTSIDE the light....just to see....


    Karl

  17. #167
    *Flashaholic* Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    10,291

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    "Fully" (?) charged up the pack tonight to 16.03 volts. Leaving it OUTSIDE the light....just to see....


    Karl

    16.03V is still a bit low. Hot off the charger I'm getting 16.67V. You might check the output voltage of your charger just in case. Still, I'm curious to see if your battery pack holds expected voltage while outside of the light.

  18. #168
    Flashaholic* karlthev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,726

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    I'll be keeping all apprised. In the meantime I have submitted a ticket to Polarion with my concerns. I ordered this light May 11, 2011 and to see there are difficulties at this early date, PARTICULARLY with so little use is most disconcerting! We'll see what happens....


    Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 02-08-2012 at 04:57 AM.

  19. #169
    Flashaholic* 276's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,551

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    After two months of storing mine outside of the light the voltage was 15.11 and i am down to two led's.

    alex
    Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

  20. #170

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    This looks like an awesome light. I want one.

  21. #171

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    OT post removed. Thread is about the Polarion Abyss Dual "S". Please start your own thread re the other spot light if you wish.
    Last edited by Bullzeyebill; 02-14-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: OT

  22. #172

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    I ordered it today. Hopefully it will ship tomorrow and I'll have it by the end of the week. EEEEHaaaa

  23. #173
    *Flashaholic* Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    10,291

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Quote Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
    I ordered it today. Hopefully it will ship tomorrow and I'll have it by the end of the week. EEEEHaaaa

    Please post your thoughts and pictures when it arrives. I know you'll love it!

  24. #174

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Double Posted
    Last edited by mirage98; 03-06-2012 at 01:32 PM.

  25. #175

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Anyone of you upgrading to the Abyss have a PH40/PH50 they want to offload? I'm more than glad to take it off your hands

    (Apologize if this double posts - IE froze as I submitted)

  26. #176
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    south australia
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    I have just ordered one today ,upgraded to a hard case ,spare battery and red filter for spotlighting foxes , my rational was why pay out for 3 or 4 big LEDs when this one will do it all , hope it arrives soon

  27. #177

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Darn, Phil, now I'm envious. I didn't get the hard case. I opted for the soft case. I never use the hard case that came with any of my equipment, be it big white Canon lenses for my main hobby of photography, or even the nice hard case that came with the SR90. I'm interested to see what the soft case is like.
    As to an extra battery, I'm sure there's one in my future. Right now I use my lights for approximately a 45-50 minute walk each night so one should suffice. I hope.

    Patriot, I will def take pics when I get it. Ken emailed me and said it may ship today. They didn't have them in stock when I ordered it so they have to get them from Polarion and then ship it out. I'm dying that I didn't pay for faster shipping. I ordered it UPS ground, which if it's coming from California to NY, where I live, it will take a week. But I hate to waste money on faster shipping. Rather put that toward something material. Like an extra battery. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyphil View Post
    I have just ordered one today ,upgraded to a hard case ,spare battery and red filter for spotlighting foxes , my rational was why pay out for 3 or 4 big LEDs when this one will do it all , hope it arrives soon


  28. #178
    BVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    CentCalCoast
    Posts
    5,771

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    If you don't specifically need a second battery for your operations, I'd get only one and use the heck out of it. When it wears out, get the second one. Having 2 at the same time will cause non-use aging to be a higher factor in the finite life of both batteries.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

  29. #179
    *Flashaholic* Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    10,291

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    If you don't specifically need a second battery for your operations, I'd get only one and use the heck out of it. When it wears out, get the second one. Having 2 at the same time will cause non-use aging to be a higher factor in the finite life of both batteries.
    +1 to this.

    A while back I was thinking of ordering another but it seems that I never need more than 50-60 minutes of HID light. If I need more light time, a compact LED will usually suffice. I guess I sort of use my HID's (especially the Polarions) as special purpose weapons. Guns vs. rifles.

  30. #180
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    south australia
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

    just thought it would be handy to have a charged battery when out spot lighting all night but maybe ill wait and see if i need it before i charge it the first time , also getting one @ $135 with the abyss was a good deal and saved on postage

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •