Acebeam
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

Default Re: Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

Quote Originally Posted by luckyphil View Post
    just thought it would be handy to have a charged battery when out spot lighting all night but maybe ill wait and see if i need it before i charge it the first time , also getting one @ $135 with the abyss was a good deal and saved on postage
    Nothing wrong in your thought process at all. In my situation, I rarely, if ever use my lights for more than 10 minutes so a 2nd batt would never be used.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    If you don't specifically need a second battery for your operations, I'd get only one and use the heck out of it. When it wears out, get the second one. Having 2 at the same time will cause non-use aging to be a higher factor in the finite life of both batteries.
    Excellent advice.
    just thought it would be handy to have a charged battery when out spot lighting all night but maybe ill wait and see if i need it before i charge it the first time , also getting one @ $135 with the abyss was a good deal and saved on postage
    I didn't realize I'd get the discount on battery also. Oh well. Now I just want the light already. Lol

I have been remiss....sigh.... I received a replacement for what appears to have been a defective battery.....once again clear evidence of the level of commitment of this company and its' employees. Thank you. Note I am still thrilled with the performance of this fine light!

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 03-08-2012 at 04:59 AM.

Really glad to hear that you received your new battery Karl. I'd be curious to know if it holds voltage over time.

Thanks friend.

Unenlightened

Yes, that will be interesting to see if the new batteries hold their charge ,i was thinking of not using my spare until needed but i probably should charge and monitor it in case there is a issue as i think the battery warranty is only 6 months

I can't sing Ken's praises high enough. I ordered my Abyss this past Sunday. Being a nut, I was looking in my mailbox, figuratively, not literally, on Monday for it. I emailed Ken late Monday as I had not gotten any ship confirmation. He notified me the light was not in stock and as soon as they received it it would be shipped out. Not only was it shipped the very next day, but he upgraded the shipping. It came yesterday.

I was working all day yesterday and didn't get home until 9 pm. I still had work to do at that point and so finally opened the box and took it in my yard, before going to bed around 11 pm. My property is 550 ft x 250 ft, and behind the rear property line is a 4,000 acre preserve. I was lighting up the distant treetops and the entire backyard without problem.

First impression: ABSOLUTELY AMAZING QUALITY. Did I say AMAZING? I mean, holy smokes, Batman, that thing is like a spotlight in an arena with great flood also. I could not believe the clean, no artifact beam and the amount of light. I only used it for a few minutes, removed the battery for charging. Tonight I will take it on my usual 3 mile jaunt.

Ken, your service is amazing. Thank you again.

Oh, I will take pictures later today and post them. Also, I ordered the soft case, which I later regretted. No way. It's absolutely perfect. It makes the hard case superfluous. Perfect fit and finish.

I'm stoked!!!!!

Mark
    Last edited by MDJAK; 03-09-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Yes, that will be interesting to see if the new batteries hold their charge ,i was thinking of not using my spare until needed but i probably should charge and monitor it in case there is a issue as i think the battery warranty is only 6 months
    Non-use is not good for a battery. It would be better for it to be alternately used with your primary battery. But if you want to not use it for a while and you have a hobby charger, charge or discharge the battery until it reaches a stabilized 3.85 Volts per cell, so 15.4 Volts for the 4-cell battery. This is the recommended storage Voltage to preserve it as much as possible. If all you have is a Volt meter, then you can simply run the light for short periods of time, remove the battery and check the voltage with a volt meter. You should let it sit for 30 minutes after shutdown before taking the reading. Do this repeatedly until you achieve a reading of 15.4.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Further size comparison of the business end: SR90, ABYSS, MS

And heightwise:

And I got four words: Hello Darkness, smile friend.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
    And I got four words: Hello Darkness, smile friend.
    More like: Good Bye Darkness

True.

Last pic for now: About to watch it.

That Abyss is a thing of beauty! And it comes with a DVD? It's like a dream.

Wilkey

Quote Originally Posted by Ginseng View Post
    That Abyss is a thing of beauty! And it comes with a DVD? It's like a dream.

Wilkey
    The DVD just has the owner's manual on it. Which I prefer to having a paper manual, honestly.

You'd never know from this lousy shot that photography is my main hobby, though it's taken a slight back seat to my lights lately. Heck, lights are a lot cheaper than lenses and Canon 1 Series bodies which I shoot.

This is the lake I walk around at night. I wish I had a rangefinder, but if I had to guess, I'd say this is about 200 yards. Abyss on high:

Use Google Earth to measure the distance.

I found the spot on google earth on my iPad but I don't know how to measure it

On my desktop version, there's a little "ruler" icon on the top of the page with all the other icons. Click it, choose your units then put the square select box over the starting point and click. Then stretch the line to the ending spot and click. Read the distance.

I don't think that is on the iPad version, but it is on my desktop version (didn't know because I never use the program on my computer).

The above beam shot measured to .23 of a mile.

Went out with it tonight again (Magic Fire failed to light, bulb gone after few weeks; Tiny Monster failed to stay lit, don't know what the heck is wrong with that), and so kept it on low most of the way, for 3 mile walk/run in about 50 minutes. Came home with four lights on battery indicator still lit. I was surprised.

Question: How can you, if you can, check the battery indicator, when the light is on? Do you have to turn off/on to see it light momentarily?

Just noticed that member Mr Ted Bear just posted this link in the group buy section in the Marketplace...

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...t-S-quot-1-188

Went out with it tonight again (Magic Fire failed to light, bulb gone after few weeks; Tiny Monster failed to stay lit, don't know what the heck is wrong with that), and so kept it on low most of the way, for 3 mile walk/run in about 50 minutes. Came home with four lights on battery indicator still lit. I was surprised.

Question: How can you, if you can, check the battery indicator, when the light is on? Do you have to turn off/on to see it light momentarily?

MDJAK, if the bulb is broken, just see if you can acquire a new head. From the sounds of it, the bulb is not easily replaceable unless you're really handy and have good soldering skills. If you think it was caused by the glass, you might share it with other owners once again so that it doesn't happen to them. BVH actually mentioned this might happen in his mini review.

Sorry to hear about the TM11 but if you look at the failure thread it's running about a 60% success vs 40% failure rate for that model. Had one in my hand for a bit but didn't purchase after considering the this heatsink. Nitecore's QC seems to be lacking lately.

Yeah, you have to turn it off then back on. I think it was really just designed to be an initial indicator when the battery was installed or the light was turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    MDJAK, if the bulb is broken, just see if you can acquire a new head. From the sounds of it, the bulb is not easily replaceable unless you're really handy and have good soldering skills. If you think it was caused by the glass, you might share it with other owners once again so that it doesn't happen to them. BVH actually mentioned this might happen in his mini review.
    Paul, not quite understanding the "see if you can acquire a new head"? From the sound of the poster that talked about having to unsolder the bulb, it doesn't sound like it's a part of the head? Part of the problem that I see is that even unscrewing the head with it's sharp reflector base might cut or damage the return wire and same with re-installing it. Might even chip off some of the reflector coating? EDIT: Oh I got it now. I was thinking bezel and reflector ass'y. You mean head with ballast and bulb ass'y - just like you said!

It's no secret that I'm not happy at all with my 29 Watt'r. And what a shame it came with no damage (some very minor chipping of the ano on the bezel) I should probably use it as a Guinea Pig and take it apart.

Best price I've ever seen on the MP Group Buy on the abyss!
    Last edited by BVH; 03-11-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Thank you both for the info and suggestion. Ric offered a new bulb and I accepted that offer. We will see if a very handy thread can fix it. Of not I'll go from there. Went out with abyss tonight for 4 mile walk in hour five mins. Had on high 80 percent of the time. Had 2 LEDs left. Seems as if 80 min runtime is likely.

Flashaholic

Wow, this is a little weird. I don't know what's going on here but it appears that the previous 3 posts before mine (210, 211 & 212) are actually from one of the Magic Fire threads. I guess that if I was a Magic Fire I would want to be a Polarion Abyss too. Could someone please tell these posts to go back to where they came from.

Sincerely Yours
    Phil Ament

P.S. Contrary to what I had originally believed, these are not in fact "wandering posts" and this really is where they actually belong. Therefore I formally apologise to Posts 210, 211 & 212 just in case I had made them feel unwelcome in this thread.
    Last edited by Phil Ament; 03-15-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Added Postscript

I've copied BVH's beam shots from the Group Buy in the Marketplace to here. Bob, please let me know if you're ok with this.

Some beam shots:

Abyss on High @ 350 Yards

Abyss on High @ 470 Yards

Abyss on High @ 520 Yards

Abyss on Low @ 520 Yards

Last edited by Patriot; 03-22-2012 at 12:58 AM.

OF course I am with one caveate....As with my Megaray and Maxabeam comparison photos, I am not really happy with how these turned out. They do not represent what I saw. Increase everything by 33% is about right. I need to improve my photography knowledge to end up with a good representation of what I see. Lots is lost in the reduction of these images to fit CPF limits.

Friend, and I mean that fondly, how could anyone get upset at a person who's name is Phil Ament. It took me a while to realize what that was and it brought a big smile to my face. It's very funny and imaginative.

As for the Abyss, I'm really enjoying it. I go out with it every night for my now 3+ mile walk with my dog. It lights the way very well. Only problem as the weather warms is it attracts killer moths. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Ament View Post
    Wow, this is a little weird. I don't know what's going on here but it appears that the previous 3 posts before mine (210, 211 & 212) are actually from one of the Magic Fire threads. I guess that if I was a Magic Fire I would want to be a Polarion Abyss too. Could someone please tell these posts to go back to where they came from.

Sincerely Yours
    Phil Ament

P.S. Contrary to what I had originally believed, these are not in fact "wandering posts" and this really is where they actually belong. Therefore I formally apologise to Posts 210, 211 & 212 just in case I had made them feel unwelcome in this thread.

Oh, and appreciate seeing those beam shots.

On another note, I've taken to doing something at least I find worth sharing. I purchased a reflective vest, which is a bit small. I have to find a larger size and better source which I think I have. But when cars are coming from behind, and I'm not wearing the vest, as I tend to forget to bring it along, I carry my Eagle Tac TC20 (I think is the model), and I have it in my hand with the handle of the Abyss (the Abyss supported by the shoulder strap), facing backwards and I quickly click the button and light up the roadway behind me. It's quite effective, more so than any vest.

You gotta see the cars come to a crawl when confronted with the Abyss. No, I never point it at their windshield, purposely pointing it away, toward the side of the road, once I'm sure they've seen it. But it's such a powerful beam they think there's a car on their side of the road.

In fact, I'm on my way out now. And I usually have two LED's for the battery guage left after slightly over an hour walk on high. I am a bit concerned as spring and summer approach that with the ambient heat it may cause the light to overheat.

Has anyone had that issue?

mark

Oh, and appreciate seeing those beam shots................

I am a bit concerned as spring and summer approach that with the ambient heat it may cause the light to overheat.

Has anyone had that issue?

mark
    I would sure hope it's not a problem because they specifically reduced the output of the PH series because of heat. Since they settled on 45 Watts, the light should be able to be run for a full charge and not have heat issues in normal Earth environments.

OF course I am with one caveate....As with my Megaray and Maxabeam comparison photos, I am not really happy with how these turned out. They do not represent what I saw. Increase everything by 33% is about right. I need to improve my photography knowledge to end up with a good representation of what I see. Lots is lost in the reduction of these images to fit CPF limits.
    No problem my friend. If you end up adding or changing your Abyss pictures with something you like better, I'll just remove the others and fill it in with your newest batch. I think you did a great job sir!

With regards to the thermal capacity of the Abyss, it definitely gets really hot. Here in AZ, only the winter months leave the light just warm. Eight months out of the year it gets hot to the touch or 145-160F at the head after 30-40 minutes and holds that temperature. I just figured that Polarion did their homework and so far, no issues.