Leatherman delivered missing a blade !!!!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Leatherman Style CS off Amazon and it was delivered missing the nailfile/screwdriver blade !!!

Quality control at Leatherman seems a bit off eh ?

There are only 2 blades on it in the first place, you would think they would notice...

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Already sent back to amazon.

That's really odd. You should have kept it, no really you should, it would be a collectable.

Leatherman customer service in the UK is fantastic. If you have a broken tool they will repair or replace, perfect to deal with.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it was one of the riveted blades I may have kept it, but the Style blades are on little bolts so anyone could make themselves.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Leatherman in Australia have a fantastic Service Center - in my case, blade replaced in less than 4days; actually in my hand, I was pretty impressed.

They have excellent products and with such good 'Back up' I'll be voting with my wallet every time!
:thumbsup:

landwomble

Newly Enlightened
I'd second the LM warranty in the UK. I had a Squirt P4 that I snapped the pliers on (don't ask, no idea!) and I posted it off to the UK distributor, Whitby Knives, and had a brand new one back 4 days later.
Just did the same with my ancient Surge, and got a brand spanking new one in 5 days. Fantastic customer service...

cyber5

Newly Enlightened
I have to chime in here, as a Leatherman owner of many years. I have had 2 of them. I only got the 2nd one because I lost the first one. However, before losing it - I had it repaired twice. Once, was for a blade snap, the other was for a pliers snap. Both snaps were TOTALLY my fault, but the situations demanded that I take the chance - knowing fully well that things might turn out badly for my tool.

I trusted that tool in both cases, and in both cases it sacrificed itself for me at the moment of completing the task at hand. Yes, both times it came through and failed at the same time. Leatherman happily, and quickly, did the repairs for me at no cost except shipment to them (they paid return) and not only did they fix the broken parts (replaced with new) they sharpened/shined/lubed/buffed/polished every part to factory specs. I know they didn't just send me a replacement, as I had personally engraved my name on the tool handle.

I appreciate some of the other multi-tools on the market, but when it comes to buying one for myself/friends/family or recommending one - I always go Leatherman.

I'm a Leatherman fan. I had the original, now I have the BLAST as a replacement for my lost one. The original, I did break the blade on, AND the pliers. Both were my fault and were the result of serious misuse/abuse, but the incidents required that. Both times the the tool was repaired at no cost to me, other than shipping.

Love my Leatherman. It's an EDC for me. The needle nose pliers are machined with great tolerances, so grabbing tiny objects is like an extension of your mind, not just your hand.

The cutters are awesome. By the time someone walks to the truck for a hacksaw, I can cut some pretty hard stuff off with the hardened part of the cutters and not even need to look for damage to the blades because I know there won't be any.

The file is great for fingernails to rough-edges on pretty much anything you'll come across.

It fits nicely in my hand, although on harder-to-cut items (think small machine screws) the handles can be a bit biting on your hands.

I've never had rust issues at all, even when I expose it to harsh chems or salt water. Always carry it fishing - great for removing hooks, or twisting/bending/cutting hooks. Yes, even the nice fancy/high-dollar Japanese ones.

Sometimes, I remember to lube it with a squirt of Tri-flow, but mostly I use it (And abuse it) for everything I need (As does pretty much everyone at a campsite - if the Leatherman doesn't fit their need, it seems my Kabar does.)

I know plenty of people that carry and love their SOGs and Gerbers, but my money goes to Leatherman.

my original one did this after a few years. A quick trip to the factory will fix it right up for ya. I waited until there were bigger problems until I sent it in (I broke it), but after a retouch at the factory - you are good to go for years. I've had my BLAST for about 5-7 years now, and no problems at all (other than losing that damned jewelers driver - its like the toothpick on a SAK). I lube once (maybe twice?) a year with Tri-flow.

Last edited by a moderator:

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
I have a skeletool that I got over 2 years ago as an 18th birthday present, and it gets almost daily use and is still going great. The only problem I had with it was that the spare screwdriver bit fell out the handle and was lost. Emailed whitby and had a replacement in under a week!