Fenix E05, small single level AAA light with build in diffuser

HKJ

Flashaholic
[SIZE=+3]Fenix E05[/SIZE]

DSC_5506.jpg

DSC_5810.jpg

Fenix has been active from the start of led flashlights and made many good lights, this one here is a single level AAA light with a build in diffuser. The use interface is very simple, just screw it together and it turns on. The light is made of aluminum with hard-anodized (Type 3) finish

DSC_5503.jpg
DSC_5504.jpg

The light is delivered in a small cardboard box with a window and selected specifications printed on the box.

DSC_5505.jpg

The box contains the light, a split ring, a spare o-ring, the manual and a warrenty card.

DSC_5507.jpg
DSC_5508.jpg

The light uses a TIR (Total Internal Reflection) optic with a diffuser. There is no front glass, the plastic diffuser is the front and there is a hole in it, but not all the way down to the led.

DSC_5509.jpg

The head has a band of knurling.

DSC_5517.jpg

Moving to the backside of the head there is the battery connection, the ring around the center is used for connection to the battery tube. The light will only turn on when the tube is touching the ring.

DSC_5514.jpg
DSC_5518.jpg

The threads are on the battery tube are nicely done and an o-ring makes the light waterproof. Inside the battery tube is the usual spring.

DSC_6686.jpg

The battery tube has lot of knurling.

DSC_6685.jpg

The back end of the battery tube has a hole that can used to mount the split ring and because of the grove it can still tail stand.

The E05 is a very small AAA light with a very simple operation (It only has one level). It works well up to a few meters and is better for reading a book or a map, than most other AAA lights (Due to the build in diffuser). I am a bit worried that the hole in the lens will collect some dirt over time and will have to be cleaned.

[SIZE=+2]Technical specification and measurements[/SIZE]

DSC_6682.jpg

This light is designed for 1.5 volt AAA batteries (Alkaline, NiMH, Lithium).

Measured size and weight:
Length: 64.4 mm
Diameter: 14.4 mm
Weight: 23.1 gram with eneloop

The light uses a Cree XP-G R4 led.

Measurements.png

In the above table I have used 800mAh eneloop batteries for measuring and estimating the runtime. This light does runs at a moderate current giving it a long runtime.
Note: The above table is based on values at 1.2 volt.

Fenix%20E05.png

I have automated the method I uses for voltage sweep, this has made it possible to use much higher resolution and add a power curve. This light has a good stabilization down to 0.62 volt. The efficiency goes down with falling voltage (This is always the case with single cell alkaline lights).

Runtime.png

Even at the lower current drain of E05 Alkaline batteries cannot match a NiMH battery

The light uses current control and has no flashing modes.

[SIZE=+2]Comparison to other Flashlights[/SIZE]

Whitewall Fenix E05 with different exposures
DSC_6712a.jpg
DSC_6713a.jpg
DSC_6714a.jpg

Whitewall Fenix LD01 on medium with different exposures
DSC_6709a.jpg
DSC_6710a.jpg
DSC_6711a.jpg

The E05 has a less bright hotspot with brighter spill, this is much more obvious in real life, than the pictures show.

Comparison to medium level of other AAA lights:

Fenix E05 XP-G R4, 4Sevens Preon ReVO SS XP-G R4 NW, 4Sevens Preon Ti XP-G R5
DSC_6531a.jpg
DSC_6533a.jpg
DSC_6536a.jpg

Fenix LD01 SS XP-G R5, Olight Xmas 2010 XP-G S2, Klarus Mi10 XP-E R2
DSC_6529a.jpg
DSC_6542a.jpg
DSC_6545a.jpg

For the full comparison to other lights with graphs and beamshots see here.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these. It's a fantastic keychain light. I barely notice it's there, and it's holding up well after a few months in my pocket.

HKJ

Flashaholic
One of these lights is not like the others,
one of these things just doesn't belong,
can you tell which thing is not like the others,
by the time I finish my song

There are two lights you can say that about, for different reasons.

But I promise to include a few more black lights in my next AAA beamshot.

DaveG

Enlightened
Nice review HKJ, I have a EO5 and like it size wise and the on-off feature.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, nice, nice review, HKJ!!

I was impressed to see that the alk maintains the same output as the nimh all the way, just for a shorter time period. Still, 2 hrs of flat output seems like a winner to me if you're going to keychain carry. Then again, I'd probably go lithium for keychain duty.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I was impressed to see that the alk maintains the same output as the nimh all the way, just for a shorter time period. Still, 2 hrs of flat output seems like a winner to me if you're going to keychain carry. Then again, I'd probably go lithium for keychain duty.

It is not that surprising, most stabilized light does it. You can also see that the light does not die completely, but maintains a weak output for a long time with alkaline.
The two hours must be compared to medium on most other AAA lights and there they will also have a good runtime (Depending on the exact brightness at medium).

Mostly I prefer NiMH cells, but if the light is rated for LiIon I might also use that. I do seldom use lithium in AAA or AA size.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
But I promise to include a few more black lights in my next AAA beamshot.

It doesn't matter to me. I love all your AAA line ups. AAAA included. I think Fenix should custom make you a stainless steel version though.

Incidentalist

Enlightened
Love your photography. Great review as always. Just curious, what happened to that beautiful field with the tall grasses that you used to use for your beamshots? Looked like a nice place.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Just curious, what happened to that beautiful field with the tall grasses that you used to use for your beamshots? Looked like a nice place.

Lawn mower, I am still using the same place. The place is a green area inside the city and sometimes the city does some maintenance, last autumn they both cut the grass and the trees. Now it is spring and I hope the place will be back to its former glory in a few months.

scotto

Newly Enlightened
Great review! I "accidentally" added one of these to a battery order I just placed after reading this review... ;)

Can't wait to hear what my wife says after another flash light turns up.

regulation

Newly Enlightened
Iimpressive!!!
and i just wonder whether fenix will introduce a stainless style, just like the LD01 in the piecure.