cutting 2D Mag

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the @D cutdown thread but did not see any measurements listed ,just photos of the 2D taped off to cutdown. Anyone know where exactly to cut down to a 1D or 1.5 D? Measurements

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you cutting back portion off, to rethread the tube later, and leave eveything else stock, than you need to cut it by D cell (or 1\2) lenght, about 60mm. or 30 in case of 1,5d/
if you cutting front off, to use tailswitch, and glue the head permanently than there are few other factors, that matter.

rajalexi

Newly Enlightened
Are you talking about a home made cut down that you will cut a chunk out of and grind down the inside of one end and the outside of the other end and JB weld them back together, or a shortened rethreaded maglite? And this is also a tough question to answer because it depends on what battery configuration you want. Are you looking at a 3AA converter or a 18500, or a 26650? These would all be different cuts and I assume that is why none of the posters put their actual measurements up. I have 2 shortened mags that are just missing a chunk of the tube, but have the factory threads. I can give you good measurements from each end to the cut if you want them. Mine are driven by a protected 26650 with a little bit cut off the spring. If I was to do another one I would plan a 26650 with a VERY short modified spring in the tail which would probably save me another 1/2 inch off the body. I hope this helps. Just plan it out a tiny bit shorter than it should be and there should be plenty of spring to cut off if you went an 1/8 of an inch to short.

Jamey

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
Was planning on running 3 AAs any suggestions on what change in the lamp that will give the best bang? Convert to LED?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each "D" cell is about 60mm so 120mm space needed for 2 "D" size cells.
Each AA is about 50mm long and bundle of three will fit in unbored M*g D
If your AAs do not have any holder, (120-50) 70mm shortening of 2D M*g will work.
If you are using
this kind of holder, (120-65) 55mm shortening of 2D M*g will work.
There are not many bright 3.6 volt incand bulbs but there are many option to convert to LEDs depending on your budget and skill.
BTW, Li-ions will work better unless if you don't like them and want to stay away from them.

Last edited:

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
I am using 3AAs Li ions and going LED. What LED setup to use?