Any information on new Dolphin Torch? (Australia)

tolkaze

Enlightened
Local radio is having a promotion on Dolphin Torches, giving away prizes etc, including Dolphin lanterns, dolphin rechargeables etc. They are also advertising that the new Mini and Micro dolphin lanterns are now LED (previously incan)

Any information on the LED versions?

Would be interesting since most lantern style lights can't be converted to LED due to the size of the reflector, and the polarity of the battery.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen or heard anything about LED versions, but I've always wanted to try a ROP Low bulb and 2x14500 IMR's in the Dolphin Micro :)

EDIT: Here's the current Dolphin product page.
http://evereadydolphin.com.au/products/

The lantern and headlight are LED. The rest are still incan.

Last edited:

beerwax

Enlightened
ive seen a lantern style lite with led(s) dont think it was a dolphin but it took the lantern battery. must have had 50 leds in that big head. the owner was pretty proud all those leds must be a beauty. so the size of the head works in your favor - lots of room for lots of leds.

rambo180

Enlightened
Local radio is having a promotion on Dolphin Torches, giving away prizes etc, including Dolphin lanterns, dolphin rechargeables etc. They are also advertising that the new Mini and Micro dolphin lanterns are now LED (previously incan)

Any information on the LED versions?

Would be interesting since most lantern style lights can't be converted to LED due to the size of the reflector, and the polarity of the battery.

My local supermarket was selling off Dolphin Incan lanterns with batteries cheap, does that mean a new lantern will be arriving soon? I REALLY HOPE SO! I will be the first to buy it.

Norm

Retired Administrator
My local supermarket was selling off Dolphin Incan lanterns with batteries cheap, does that mean a new lantern will be arriving soon? I REALLY HOPE SO! I will be the first to buy it.

They regularly special at Coles for around $14.

Norm

rambo180

Enlightened
I haven't seen or heard anything about LED versions, but I've always wanted to try a ROP Low bulb and 2x14500 IMR's in the Dolphin Micro :)

EDIT: Here's the current Dolphin product page.
http://evereadydolphin.com.au/products/

The lantern and headlight are LED. The rest are still incan.

So I just purchased the 3 LED Dolphin Micro.

Standing 2m from the wall, it produces a bright white spot about 40cm dia. with blue light around the spot. It also has a messy wide pattern of weak light around the spot. It is quoted at 23 lumens, 100m. It lights up my living room quite well, but I wouldn't trust it for anything further. Really is NOT fantastic, however it was only $9, and it floats! The barrel is quite narrow, and the torch is lightweight (you may like or dislike). I do like the design, colour and the fact it is waterproof.

The packet says it was made in 2010, so obviously not a NEW LED (a little confused by those radio adds). Hanging out for a full size Dolphin LED or MK7.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
40 lumen Dorcy led dropin works ok in a Dolphin. Cost under $4 at Big W and last for yonks on a 6volt battery. I'm not a fan of the beam in a dolphin but they make a great loaner light when camping with friends.

rambo180

Enlightened
40 lumen Dorcy led dropin works ok in a Dolphin. Cost under $4 at Big W and last for yonks on a 6volt battery. I'm not a fan of the beam in a dolphin but they make a great loaner light when camping with friends.

sounds good! how does it compare to the normal bulb in terms of light pattern but more importantly, throw and brightness?!

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
used those drop ins, didn't like them, moded the light to use xpg with tir, and 5050led. it is dolphin light, it is just called differently on us market.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?326182-Energizer-seabeam

The Sea Beam is the US version of the Dolphin 5. I'm not sure if it's still in production, but the US version of the Dolphin 3 is still available. I love the Dolphin lanterns and I have all of them except for #4. If anyone has a spare I'd love to trade something for it.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought a Dolphin 6v led lantern yesterday for $23. Says 100 lumens and would be pretty close. Very small emitter with a nice tint. Good loaner light.

Can't say much more than that, it's only a Dolphin.

rambo180

Enlightened
Bought a Dolphin 6v led lantern yesterday for $23. Says 100 lumens and would be pretty close. Very small emitter with a nice tint. Good loaner light.

Can't say much more than that, it's only a Dolphin.

AHH did we loose posts?? Jash, please describe the shape of the "lantern" is it a candle-lantern shape lantern or a torch shape lantern

rambo180

Enlightened
Ok traditional dolphin torch style lantern. LED. 100 lumens. Saw it at the shops but have not yet purchased

VERY EXCITED!!