Flashaolism

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's like a drug... you can't stop from having more and more lights....

I'm now up to 4 EDC's and 2 Shelf Queens, with a new shelf queen on the way (TK35)

Argh! :shakehead

AIRASSAULT18B

Newly Enlightened
Tell me about it. I have to hide my ups boxes from my wife so I dont have to hear "not another flashlight"

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
We buy flashlights to anesthetize ourselves from mental angst. The hunt, the online purchase, the waiting, the package in the mailbox, the first time we use the new light - these things distract us from the cauldron of mental anguish bubbling beneath the surface of each of us. When the distraction wears off, we begin the hunt for another light and start the process all over again. Some use drugs or alcohol. We use flashlights.

richpalm

Banned
Remember that females are wired and conditioned to not understand that we guys have to have toys, per powernoodle's thread which is spot on! I have far more lights than I'll ever need, but the modding and building process is very good for my mental health.

Rich

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can so relate with you guys. After my wife asked me what package that arrived from abroad, i started having my lights delivered to my work address.

I think the part which causes flashaholism is when we find out about new lights in the market that have features we happen to be looking for, like more throw, more floody, higher lumens, more modes, uses a specific battery type that we end up ordering them because if fills a need we crave. The excitement of anticipation as we wait for the package to arrive in the mail, it all builds up. We feel like kids opening up a present at Christmas!

...I dont drink...I dont smoke...I dont womanize... I collect flashlights! :D - the Flashaholics

Xacto

Enlightened
Powernoodle - well written.

It is pretty easy for me - 100 Euro for a flashlight that takes up only a small amount of space and can be put to good use the moment it arrives versus 100 Euro for +/- 8 new plastic scale models kits that take up much more space while still unbuilt in their boxes and surely stay in them for the coming years/decades...... with a 4 digit stock already in the basement....

Of course my wife does not buy that reasoning. ;-)

Cheers
Thorsten

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I have it bad at all. I just continue a silly flashlight cartoon so I can buy "actors". I need this light. It fulfills a vital role in the storyline.
I just keep telling myself that.
Oh then there's the "I need this light so I can make holsters for it. It's a business expense."
Work with me. I'm trying here.

cw_mi

Enlightened
Powernoodle, so true.
I have to ad Guns and knives to my list of pain relievers. My wife is very cool about all this and doesn't question much, although she is leaving me enough slack to hang myself. And this past month I think I've taken that slack up... 5 custom knives, and two custom lights on order, and then the custom 1911 that should be completed in a few more months. I am actually feeling pretty guilty. After these next two lights are completed I'm taking a break for a year, from the knives , lights and guns. I've got to ..it's sort of gotten out of hand.

richpalm

Banned
You guys... wait 'till she gets menopausal and the nagging, depression and bitchiness starts!

I say nothing about lights or purchases and I've got my own Paypal. If I haven't made "arrangements" with the post office I grab the mail first when expecting something and spirit it right to the modding room.

It sucks to have to sneak but I just don't wanna hear it any more.

Rich