Arc Silver 5 ranked at bottom

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arctic Silver 5 is considered one of the best on CPF, I have a tube too.

Just run into a nice review, the computer CPU folks takes their paste quite seriously,
as a result, it appears there are cheaper & much better options than AS5:
http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f38/thermal-paste-showdown-238183/

A little surprising as the AS5 spec has higher W/mk.
I think I am going to get a tube of TX-3 & give it a try, need to take mfg. spec claims with a grain of salt some times. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Last edited:

Art

Enlightened
I was a OC freak some years ago and AS5 was the best. Problem is that obviously everything evolves... so AS5 is a old product , I remember using it on my old P4 back in 2002... thats nearly 10years!

I now use the MX2 on my Q9550.

fyrstormer

Banned
Looks like the next best thing is also made by Arctic: Arctic Cooling MX-2. There's one other brand that ranks higher, but Arctic has a proven track record so I expect every tube of their new paste will work as well as the tube that website tested. Never heard of the #1 brand.

That being said, the difference is a couple degrees Celsius from best to worst -- even if AS5 is outperformed by every other product that website tested, the improvement is not enough to justify throwing away a tube of AS5 if you already have one.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree no need to waste it, more of a "what should I get for my next tube?" question.

My AS5 has never "not worked" but my tube is almost empty, so I just got a tube of TX-3.

Darn it, after I hit the purchase button, I saw the new TX-4 is now available,
I am already out dated, pulled trigger too fast :crackup:

MWClint

Enlightened
I use Noctua NT-H1 and AS5 on my cpu's and leds. It's well known in the cpu overclocking world that AS5 requires curing time. after a few heat cycles it's right on par with the best of them.

Epsilon

Enlightened
Don't forget that the CPU cooling business is based on perfect contact between cooler and CPU. The paste is only there to fill small gaps which are mostly machining marks. Also it depends greatly on how it is applied, to much is just as bad as to little. For larger gaps, the silicone versions are still great. For two flat surfaces on each other(like stars on heatsinks) the test posted above is relevant. Also, pressure is very important, CPU's endure upto 40lbs of pressure.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i donno, i have seen some of the test results, and 1-2* max difference was not a big deal. this test was either not proper, or he has clone AS5, because other test dont show that far off at all.
what was more interesting to me was longevity. guess which "paste" is still "active" 5 years later?
My crasy definition of active, is that is is still a "deep fat fryer" , some other defintions think that having a dried out powder under thier heatsync is a good thing.
But it was always some dried out crud that i have refreshed on other computers, that brought thier cooling back to normal (which also included cleaning too) so i dont BELIEVE that a dried out thermal paste is for poo.

and diamonds? i donno, because First think for a second where you gonna get ground diamond dust cheap, and IS it gonna have jewelers stone in it too? because a few (meaning only 2 i read about) indicated that the dimaond paste did a "lap job" on thier cpu (scarred). now that could be excellent, but then it could be bad??
there is some false belief that the 2 materials the processor silicon and the copper do not have different expansion and contraction ratios, ok and the temps on the processors dont go up and down either :) well on mine they dont, because i picked thermal stability over unnessisary cooling.
does anyone concider that these are actually 2 sliding surfaces , in a molecular sence?

sooo, there is just more to think about than clamping it down to a heater and seeing how it works today.
my now finished mini tube of AS5 , which is an real actual original, that actually has some silver in it :) will need to be replaced too.
but , the wierd thing is nothing i have used it on has had to be recoated , refreshed or Changes in temperatures over time. so it is used up, but everything it was used on is still doing exactly what it did the day after it was put on. How many could do that , and beat it by a few degrees? that is what i want to know.
it is always the "new" stuff that is the "best" stuff, as so was AS5 when it was new.

T I M E for a water cooler or a Dry ice or LN even is meaningless, they will have stuff re-aranged every 2 weeks. for me i was working on One and Done. and AS5 as bad as it might be in numbers, was , is and i depend on it being one and done over time. some of the thinner stuff, didnt last time, although it was better at first.

Like epsilon said, thin is what you want, and then again IF thin is what you GET, there is huge differances in tops of processors and bottoms of heatsincs, while thin is in, some of the heatsync processor combos dont MEET in as many places, as a stripped, lapped, re-straightened, or even cap removed processor. Sometimes you have to concider also the 2 surfaces that your trying to mate, and how well they actuall do metal to metal, or metal to silicon, or metal to ceramic, or whatever it is. cause it wont be all the same for everyone or everything. sometimes it doesnt even take magnification to see how wacked the stuff is.
there still exists old schoolers who would rather user the old white silicon, but how and where and why might be just as important as thier staunch unchanging stance on it still working just about as good.

you should see how screwed up some of the surfaces are that are trying to be mated, even on $300 processors with a screwey cap soldered on, to $129 heat syncs that look like they were finished with 120grit. makes a big difference if a bit of dust under there or a "deep fat fryer" would be the best heat conduction, when the "metal dont meet the road".

then the Application method, and curing and all that stuff, further extends the endless discussions about the stuff.
a Line, a grain of rice drop, a BB of it in the middle, YA right, in some perfect world these methods will work, with a perfect crank down, and some appropriate heat sync. but in the real world of people stuffing heatsics on while upside down in dark resesses of a case (vrses on some cute horizontal bench display) crasy clips, clamps and screws on the back. the reality of the par instalation of a heatsync and even the vertical pressure on the sync the mount and the board, differs greatly.
no everyone has thier motherboard in a lucite case on the top of thier workbench :) but lots of them have a 2LB heatsync Bowing the motherboard, and dangling sideways. ahh bench meets reality again.

----sorry no adds here for the new stuff either ---- :)

Last edited:

salaCzar

Newly Enlightened
I use Noctua NT-H1 and AS5 on my cpu's and leds. It's well known in the cpu overclocking world that AS5 requires curing time. after a few heat cycles it's right on par with the best of them.

AS-5 shouldn't even have been included in this test. Further down in the thread the tester laughs at the idea of allowing it the recommended/required cure time. Yeah, a week is a pretty long cure time for benching but including it without that cure time is extremely biased. A week's cure time in real world use is much less significant when the TIM may remain undisturbed for years.

I personally don't use AS-5 anymore for computers because of its electrical conductivity but for the purposes of greasing a starboard to a heatsink/pill that concern is insignificant.