Need Emergency LED lantern?

northslope

Newly Enlightened
Reviewed several threads but many people wanted a camping lantern with high lumens. I am looking for an Emergency LED Lantern to have in the house with LONG battery life.
I prefer:
1) AA batteries if possible (but if the better ones use D batteries, so be it)
2) Multiple settings (hi med & low) (or atleast Hi and low)
3) Less than $30

Edited to add: If I can't find a better AA lantern, I am looking at the Energizer Weather Ready 4D light.

Also, I assume a lantern will do better than a flashlight with a diffuser. Correct? (given comparable cost, efficiency)

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Define LONG battery life. There are many AA based LED lanterns out there, 3AA and 4AA versions with typically a high and low output.
The high outputs range from 40-80 lumens and run for 6-8 hours typically while the low levels on most models run for about 15-25 hours. Most of them cost between $12-$30. As far as a lantern doing better than a flashlight + diffuser, I would say in the sub $30 variety you are probably right as the efficiency is the same and the lantern design makes for a better output but higher cost lights can be more efficient with more output ranges that can conserve power better than most lantern circuits can.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
check out the Egear grenade 3 AA 50 hours on low max 136 lumen output, I have one of their 4AA models no longer made excellent lantern quality manufactured built for backpackers
http://www.batteryjunction.com/13100.html

Don't forget coleman camping equipment coleman.com they have alot of new led lights/lanterns some really nice looking stuff

GreySave

Enlightened
Rayovac Sportsman Extreme provided you are looking for a camping lantern and not a backpacking lantern. Runs on three D Cells at 75 hours at 300 cool white lumens and I believe close to 150 hours on low (Manufacturer specs). Have two of them myself for general outdoor and emergency illumination. Bright and durable. Globe is somwhat diffused to reduce glare. Can be hung upside down as a tent or area light, Please note that "low" is not a true low output but a lower output than high. If you camp where you need one setting with minimal output to avoid annoying other campers this will not work for you.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I plan to get a Thrunite 1C and a fenix camping lantern, perhaps the 2AA Thrunite and the lantern attachment thing would be good?

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 3D Lantern for main room and a few Rayovac Sportsman Mini 3AA Lantern for all over the house.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Edited to add: If I can't find a better AA lantern, I am looking at the Energizer Weather Ready 4D light.

It's not AA obviously, but that one is a great choice for a lantern that's going to be kept at home. The AA and AAA lanterns are made so they'll be easier to tote around for camping.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
that lantern looks exactly like the egear grenade is it 3AA? Looks like it has the green led blinker/find me light.its a nice bright lantern

GreySave

Enlightened
I also have one of those and it is a nice light. Output is decent as is the build quality. I like a little more punch for an emergency lantern, but that ond does nicely in a pinch. Did not know that Amazon ahd it. May acquire another one now.......

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDAddict, do you happen to know the O-ring sizes for this Favourlight AA lantern? The one for the lid, and base. Thanks.

Off the top of my head, no, but I'd be happy to measure for you. Do you want inches or mm?

Once measured, I'll add them to the first post of the guide as an update for others.