Foxfury Rook
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDC single AAA clicky and clip

Default EDC single AAA clicky and clip

What choice do I have for an as small as possible, quality, single AAA with clicky switch and built-in clip?
    I found some options
    - Liteflux LF2XT: a bit expensive and long. But where can I buy this? Is the one on Kaidomain genuine (SKU 8886)?
    - Preon 1 with a Preon 2 clicky tailcap: not bright enough (60 lumen while twisty ITP A3 is 96 lumen)
    Anything else? I know there are not many AAA clicky but I might miss something.

Default Re: EDC single AAA clicky and clip

I have an LF2XT as well as a couple of Preons and I like them very much but I suggest you have also a look at Lumapower Avenger GX which is particularly strong: I dropped mine on the concrete from a second floor window and it still works as before.

BTW there's no longer any new LF2XT around, you can only get a second hand specimen (mine is not for sale ....).

My LF2XT is not for sale either... Give the Preon 1 with the clicky tailcap another look. Running a 10440 it is screaming bright for what it is, some discretion must be used on high, but there are plenty of threads dealing with people who have done so safely. Robust, three useful levels. I've got a red one and a Ti one...

Quote Originally Posted by Kilovolt View Post
    BTW there's no longer any new LF2XT around, you can only get a second hand specimen (mine is not for sale ....).
    What about the one on Kaidomain (SKU 8886)?

Quote Originally Posted by NickBose View Post
    What about the one on Kaidomain (SKU 8886)?

For each of the 8 types of Liteflux offered they say: 'back order - ship as soon as the stock arrives'

But we know very well that the stock is not going to arrive ....

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    My LF2XT is not for sale either... Give the Preon 1 with the clicky tailcap another look. Running a 10440 it is screaming bright for what it is, some discretion must be used on high, but there are plenty of threads dealing with people who have done so safely. Robust, three useful levels. I've got a red one and a Ti one...
    +1 preon 1 w/preon 2 clickie on 10440.
    Im looking for a Moddoo pocket clip for NovaTac, Pm me if you have one to sell! Just name a price! thank you

If you want a cheap easy light which you don't mind beating on try the streamlight micro stream. Nice little light not the brightest but pretty cheap and easy.

There isn't a lot of AAA with clicky. Besides the above mentioned, there are also Peak AAA (with the momentary switch option) and the upcoming Fenix LD03.

dont take any notice of the lumen numbers for the itp vs the preon. i would consider them to be essentially the same brightness. you would have to be pretty picky to find fault with the preon.

if you decide your happy with a twisty theres many more options and some that r a good bit smaller.

univex aaa has a clicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Acid87 View Post
    If you want a cheap easy light which you don't mind beating on try the streamlight micro stream. Nice little light not the brightest but pretty cheap and easy.
    SL microstream is out because it's not bright enough at just 20 lumen

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel View Post
    There isn't a lot of AAA with clicky. Besides the above mentioned, there are also Peak AAA (with the momentary switch option) and the upcoming Fenix LD03.
    The LD03 is too long and too heavy for a single AAA

Quote Originally Posted by beerwax View Post
    dont take any notice of the lumen numbers for the itp vs the preon. i would consider them to be essentially the same brightness. you would have to be pretty picky to find fault with the preon.

if you decide your happy with a twisty theres many more options and some that r a good bit smaller.

univex aaa has a clicky.
    Univex AAA is very interesting but too expensive for me

Looks like I may settle with Preon 1 + clicky cap

Take a look at an n-Light B3 as well. I love mine!
    No, I'm not new. My whole profile was lost in the great crash of 2011.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Prechtl View Post
    Four quick questions:

• How do you like the clicky operation?
    • Have you tried a 10440?
    • Have you tried reversing the clip?
    • Did you get the neutral version (I'm a fan)?

Thanks, - Jas.

Have you heard of a "Streamix"? It's essentially the Streamlight Microstream body (complete with clicky switch and clip) with the head from a Fenix LD01 (which is crazy bright and allows the light to take a 10440). The pieces happen to be threaded the same and if you get black in both lights, the color matches decently. It's a great setup.

Flashaholic

Thanks GeoBruin for the suggestion. I think DHart turned me on to the "Streamix". Problems for me: I prefer recessed clickies and I don't believe the LD01 comes in a neutral flavor (might be wrong). I love Streamlight's clip design though - and have thought about trying to source one, remove the black anno and see if it would fit the n-Light (when/if I get it). Has the clip been robust enough for you?

-Jas.

The clip is one of my favorite things about the MS. The light is so small and light that you never put too much stress on the clip, but in general it seems plenty robust. I believe you are correct about the lack of a neutral LD01. Although I have seen several modded neutral lights come up on B/S/T, I don't believe you can get one from the factory.

I have a Tiablo E3A. The stainless steel clip for the LD01 fits perfectly on it. It has a reverse clicky switch that is recessed but not recessed enough to tailstand. Just another option to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by JA(me)S View Post
    Four quick questions:

• How do you like the clicky operation?
    • Have you tried a 10440?
    • Have you tried reversing the clip?
    • Did you get the neutral version (I'm a fan)?
    Thanks, - Jas.
    Hi there!

I really like the clicky. It seems to be more of a "soft touch" electronic switch than a mechanical-type clicky. It's a nice design.

I haven't tried a 10440 in mine (I don't have any). I've only used Eneloops, Energizer Li Primaries, and alkalines. Mostly Eneloops.

I did try reversing the clip. The body unscrews right above the clip. With a drop of WD-40, it makes removing it nice and easy.

Mine was a cool version, but I bet the neutral version is awesome too.

Are you about to get one as well?

Flashaholic

Are you about to get one as well?
    More than likely. After reading this excellent review back in January (and discovering neutral availability), the n-Light seems to check off all the boxes for me.

I do have another question: the review noted above states no mode memory on his light, yet n-Light's site lists mode memory as a feature. I prefer a simple L-M-H with no memory - which does your lights exhibit?

Thanks.

-Jas.

+1 on the Preon 1 w/optional clicky on a 10440. Disappears in your pocket and unbelievably bright on a 10440.
    My dog ate my flashlight...

Quote Originally Posted by JA(me)S View Post
    More than likely. After reading this excellent review back in January (and discovering neutral availability), the n-Light seems to check off all the boxes for me.

I do have another question: the review noted above states no mode memory on his light, yet n-Light's site lists mode memory as a feature. I prefer a simple L-M-H with no memory - which does your lights exhibit?

Thanks.

-Jas.
    Mine does have the mode memory. (Actually both of mine do, because I bought two!)

+1 here !
    I have a 2-mode neutral one whose tint is very nice - smooth beam from the XP-G R4 emitter also - but that wasn't enough . As I came across a good deal on CPFM , I am to receive another 2 : 3-mode neutral + 2-mode cool white .
    It's great , very compact but heavy , heavier than a MICROSTREAM which is longer .
    Runtime is good with Lithiums AAAs , just did a runtime today and I got 2hrs+ ... not sure about the regulation .
    Don't expect good throw - they match the MARATAC AA / ITP A2 / QUARK mini AA on MEDIUM - , that's about 200-250 lux /1m but the beam is smooth and the hotspot bigger .

This is a gentleman light, that's my feeling .
    I have also been impressed with its clickie - looks like a futuristic one , very silent , hopefully reliable but not easy to press , it's more likely fitted to baby fingers -
    I definetely recommend the 2-mode neutral version ! About the 3-mode one I heard that the MED is very close to the HIGH.

My 2-mode B3 doesn't have mode memory , it always starts on low ... btw which is a VERY LOW LOW ! Maybe 1 lumen - MARATAC AA / mini AA LOW is maybe twice as bright .
    Last edited by radu1976; 04-21-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Flashaholic

Thanks for the additional input Russ and radu - much appreciated!

-Jas.

I agree that the N-light B3 is really nice, escpecially the neutral tint availability. The only thing I don't like is its weight. I want something as light as possible.

I have a question for those with Preon 1 + clicky: how do you change modes? Can you change by half-pressing the clicky just like you do with Preon 2, or the clicky is just for turning on and mode change is by twisting the head?

I have a question for those with Preon 1 + clicky: how do you change modes? Can you change by half-pressing the clicky just like you do with Preon 2, or the clicky is just for turning on and mode change is by twisting the head?
    The clicky controls everything just like a Preon 2.

I agree that the N-light B3 is really nice, escpecially the neutral tint availability. The only thing I don't like is its weight. I want something as light as possible.

Yes, you change modes with half presses on the clicky. It is actually the same clicky switch that they use on the Preon 2 (bought as an accessory).

Hi there!

I really like the clicky. It seems to be more of a "soft touch" electronic switch than a mechanical-type clicky. It's a nice design.
    I notice the web site for the company that sells this light as well as their CPF MarketPlace page describe it as having an "inching switch". What the heck is an inching switch? I was thinking they mean ramping switch but the light is described as having distinct modes. These look like really sweet lights for the price. The neutral seems especially appealing.

There's no half pressing for that very small clickie , it's a FULL PRESS ; a half press like for a rubber boot can't be done as the click is small and made of metal .
    It's true that the travel is very very short - probably that's why some people mentioned 'half clickie' -
    But for my 2-modes sample , to get the HIGH mode you'd have to press twice very quickly the clickie , if you wait 1.5-2 sec , it will turn OFF instead of being switch from LOW to HIGH .
    But it might be different from others ; as I mentioned mine doesn't have memory comparative to other B3S AAAs .

Indeed the B2S is heavy for its size : 36 grams , so almost twice as a MARATAC AA - 20 gr - and more than twice than a QUARK mini AA - 17 gr - ; and those are a bit longer and fatter also . But I bet it's more crush resistant although I doubt someone will really need that .

Here's besides a FENIX E01, STR. MICROSTREAM and KD BUCKLE V6 AAA and MICROSTREAM, mini QUARK AA and MARATAC AA in the second pic :

Which is more reliable and durable - the n-light inching switch or the preon clicky switch?
    (I like Zebralight here. They have very clear technical details, for example its current soft switch is rated at 200,000 cycles while the previous version on older lights was rated up to 1 million cycles! I wish they make an EDC AAA light)

Quote Originally Posted by EZO View Post
    I notice the web site for the company that sells this light as well as their CPF MarketPlace page describe it as having an "inching switch". What the heck is an inching switch? I was thinking they mean ramping switch but the light is described as having distinct modes. These look like really sweet lights for the price. The neutral seems especially appealing.
    Great question! I have no clue what they mean..... It's not a traditional clicky in that it makes no clicking sound or action. It's not a ramping switch either. The best way I can describe it is a metal touch switch. It takes very little pressure to activate it or change modes.