Best camping headlamp for under $150?

Bluemoose

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I am new to this forum, and also new to high quality lights, so I need some advice.

I am going to buy a headlamp for hiking trips this summer. Beyond the typical uses of finding stuff in the dark, I will also need a low setting in order to read for several hours each night. Additionally, high power would be nice if I decide to do any night hiking.

I am attracted to the SF Saint Minumus (the light one, without the batteries on the back). Infinitly adjustabe output sounds like a good idea. What I want to know is, before I spend this kind of money, are there other lights I sould consider? I was also thinking about getting a small flashlight and attaching it to the side of a stretchy headband with an elastic loop...that way the light would be ideal for EDC as well as hiking trips.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Bluemoose

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, Blue. Many options to consider. If you are looking for a floody light (like the Minimus) see the link listed in my sig line below. The SF Minimus sounds like good choice for your needs, but have a look at your options all the same. Remember the link below is only for floody headlamps, or headlamps with a floody option; it doesn't include directional/spot/thrower lights.

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is supposed to be a neutral and/or high CRI version of the Saint coming out this year.
Zebralight is supposed to release xm-l based lights before April is over.

Bluemoose

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Bolster.

My preferences are:
1) Flood
2) CR123, or the rechargable equivalent
3) 1xCR123 seems ideal, unless there are advantages in another lightweight configuration
4) Color tint should be close to white
5) Highest brightness probably doesn't matter much, but I need a very low level for reading in the tent
6) A runtime on low of 20 hours or so would be nice; if I use more light for night hiking, I can always carry extra batteries...
7) Yes, it must be waterproof
8) Minimal or no artifacts, please
9) The band should be comfortable in hot, sweaty conditions (climbing), yet able to take some kind of hat when it's cold. A washable and replacable band would also be appreciated.
10) I expect a headlamp in the $100-150 range to last me for years of moderate use.

That was a great list; sorry I didn't see it sooner.

Bluemoose

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm. Close matches would be the (hopefully) soon to be released high CRI minimus, the H31 Zebralights with a "fw" designation that are coming out, and hopefully someone more familiar with the Sparks will speak up, there may be a match there, too (the sparks are convertible from spot to flood if you pull the reflector). Honestly there are several lights on the near horizon that may be a match (from all three of those mfgrs), is there any chance you can get something inexpensive to tide you over for a couple of months, and wait it out? You're just shopping a couple of months early for something that several mfgrs are rumored to be putting out in the near future.

Why not shop for an inexpensive backup light now (such as a $20 Irix Icon II or a $30 Pixa), and wait it out, pick your ideal light when the top mfgs reveal their new 123 lights?

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have any objection [practical or philosophical] to PWM?
I just got my Zebralight H31Fw, and the lower levels of H/M/L modes are PWM derived. I can not see PWM when it is on my head, only if you hold the light roughly 90 degrees and shake it fast. H & M [98/19.6 lumen] seem the same frequency, L [0.4 lumen] is the slowest.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
I don't have one, but I think many of your criteria match with the Saint Minimus. The part I'm not sure about, and you may want to look at Bolster's flood beam thread, is the floodiness of the light. Better yet, if you're close to an REI, you can check it out in person. But it definitely meets a lot of your criteria.

Ted

carrot

Flashaholic
There's nothing that quite does what the Saint does. Get the Saint Minimus, I think you will be happy.

Potato42

Newly Enlightened
You should also consider the zebralight H30. It is no longer a current offering, but unlike the current zebralights it is pure flood with not hotspot or artifacts whatsoever. It's extremely small, hardly bigger than the CR123 cell it takes. The tint is cool white, not my favorite but acceptable. If you create a WTB thread on the marketplace or keep an eye out you can probably pick one up used. It shouldn't be very expensive, maybe $40 or so.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing that threw up a caution flag against the minimus was (1) the OP's desire for a neutral tint (many reports of greenish tint for minimus) (2) minimal or no artifacts (I've seen more reports of artifacts on the minimus than any other quality light). And the artifacts are plainly visible in beamshots. Not a big deal for trail hiking, but annoying for reading; and (3) if the OP wants a wide beam, the minimus isn't there at <60 degrees, which is medium at best.

So that's why I'm recommending the OP wait until the neutral/high CRI minimus comes out. The tint will very likely be good, and they may fix the artifacts in the process.

It's sad that there's no pure flood option on a CR123 from Zebra anymore, although the H31fw should be close if you didn't mind a "directional flood" beam. We don't have a beamshot of it yet, it's brand new. Potato's recommendation is a good one, save that the currently available H501w running on 1xAA beats the H30 on virtually all performance measures.

There are rumors afoot regarding new offerings from Spark...so...depends if you can wait or not. Personally I'm saving my pennies for the new Spark offerings.

@ Carrot: Given every light offers a unique package of benefits, but what does the Minimus do that's so unusual? Aside from give the option of battery pack or not? I just haven't found its offering compelling enough to pull the trigger for one, even though price isn't an issue for me. What persuaded you? Maybe you can convince me to buy one!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
@ Carrot: Given every light offers a unique package of benefits, but what does the Minimus do that's so unusual? Aside from give the option of battery pack or not? I just haven't found its offering compelling enough to pull the trigger for one, even though price isn't an issue for me. What persuaded you? Maybe you can convince me to buy one!

For me there are several things that I really like about the Minimus.

First, there is the beam profile. You do mention that it isn't floody enough for your tastes, but I would argue just the opposite: the Saint offers enough flood to satisfy the need for close-up work, while collimating the light enough to give it enough punch that you do not need to pair your headlamp with another light for the majority of your uses. Lights like the older model Zebras had flood that filled up your peripheral vision: pleasant, but not necessary, and in doing so they lost the ability to light up much past arm's length. The Saint does put a little spill in your peripheral vision, but focuses most of the light into where you're most likely going to be looking: straight ahead.

Second, is the UI. I really dislike complicated user interfaces. It's what held me off from getting many of the more popular flashlights here for so long (hello HDS :wave:). As someone who takes a lot of time to study user interfaces and user experience, the Saint offers a shining example of the best in UX. Spinning the knob lets you select very rapidly exactly the amount of light you want, and it is as easy to understand as the volume knob on your car radio.

Third is the overall quality and feel. Make no mistake, the Saint is a quality product that reflects well on the Surefire brand and reputation. The knob feels solid and has the the kind of weight and resistance you'd expect out of a long-lasting switch. The tilt adjustment moves smoothly. And if you've the model with the battery pack, the construction and locking mechanism is refined and solid.

I understand that some people are very particular about the beam quality of their lights. I'm a bit ambivalent on that one. There are cases when it's a big concern for me but here, I've never once noticed the artifacts in the field. I can see the pattern of the emitter die when I aim it at a wall, but when am I going to use a headlamp to look at walls?

I'm seriously thinking about snagging another Saint when the Minimus variants come out...

srfreddy

Enlightened
Beam characteristics are very important to me, so I would suggest the H31Fw, which is as floody as you'll ever probably need. Or you can get an Irix for now, and wait for the H31Fc, which is High CRI.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrot, thanks for the explanation. I am in 100% agreement regarding the dial...love that feature. Tired of clicky clicky to get the mode I want. Regarding beam width, artifact intrusion (or lack of it) and beam tint, I think those must be usage and taste issues, and we have to part ways there. I find the wide beams more than just pleasant, I find them necessary for spotting problems (leaks, cracks, fungus, rust, wires, etc.) and finding tools in the dark. With a narrow beam the problem areas remain hidden (unless I happen to get lucky) and the tools are lost to the dark. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that if I were hiking a trail, that sort of wide beam wouldn't be necessary, and if I were riding the trail I'd want less flood yet. Application makes a huge difference in satisfactory match, doesn't it.

Tints are a personal thing so we'll just say "de gustibus non est disputandum" on that one, but artifacts...well, I'm looking at "white walls" all the time...every time I read a book, pamphlet, or flyer, that's basically a white-wall test...the white page is the wall, and it's so close that artifacts are rather sharply defined. Other times I am literally looking at white walls...to check how the paint laid down.

That aside, I also agree with you that the Minimus exudes quality, and I'm thinking I'd like one, either the CRI or the AA version, haven't decided which. I'm hoping High CRI becomes the future of everything, and that even the AA will be offered in a CRI version.

Last edited:

HighwayHermit

Newly Enlightened
Bolster - if you do not mind me asking, where have you seen the Irix Icon II for $20?

Another inexpensive floody backup option is the Princeton Tec Quad (AAA battery type) for around $32 at REI and Cabelas.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire tops them all , in quality , reliability , performance , and price as well ! Just saying , I would trade price for the the other 3 !

The more I learn about headlamps, the less I believe there is such a thing as a "best" light. There are just better and worse matches to the task. For example, how could a CR123 option be "best" for someone sailing the world, when CR123s are hard to find in ports, but AAs are plentiful? How can the Saint's beam be considered the "best" at <60 degrees, when for my work I find 90-120 works best? How can the performance of 100 lumen be best for someone who needs lots of light? How can beam artifacts be best for reading? Etc.

On the other hand, it seems to me that trail hiking and backpacking are ideal matches for the Saint, and I'm certain there are other applications for which the Saint is nearly ideal. I think the Saint is a great light, but to call it "top" requires a good match to a particular application.

EDIT: I don't mean to say that every light is worthy for something. I own some craptacular lights that fail at just about everything you'd ask a light to do. I'm talking quality lights...they tend to have their strong points and particular applications.

Last edited: