E1e head with an XM-L light engine (New and improved! Many pictures)

foxtrot824

Enlightened
E1e head with an XM-L light engine (New and improved! Many pictures) Beam shots added

I just can't get enough of the e-series heads. I love the small form factor about them. While I was assembling a few triples I decided to play with an XM-L I had just purchased, then I got to thinking... This just might fit. So as a proof of concept I "cobbed" one together. I will be machining a proper snug later this week, I will also be using a 14mm base MCPCB instead of the 20mm star.

The results were pretty impressive, I used the 2.8A 3 mode Shinning Beam driver with a Quark reflector. The emitter and reflector were not perfectly centered and for that reason along with the ugly snug I did not permanently adhere it to the bezel. I am hoping to have the final product done by the end of the week. I'll post some beam shots then.

Enjoy

Last edited:

foxtrot824

Enlightened
Re: E1e head with an XM-L light engine

Okay after seeing that idea worked I set out to make a better version. I saw that in my initial design I need to change the shape of the snug to be larger in mass but not any thicker, as well as design a reflector holder. I decided to make a "cup" shaped snug that would accommodate an XM-L on a smaller star. I finally got to machining and this is what I managed.

Yes I have an obsession with modifying E-series heads to produce crazy bright outputs, not out of practicality but for the challenge of it.

Last edited:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very tidy work sir. Looking at the driver mounted on the "snug", what are the stand-offs made from? Very cleverly done BTW. Courtesy does dictate that you post beamshot pics.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice, I bet it becomes a hand warmer quick. :p
I also was addicted to modding E heads, I put an XM-L on an Aleph LE in an E head but it's only running at 750mA.

Last edited:

foxtrot824

Enlightened

Thank you all for the support. Beam shots to come soon, if It's not raining tonight I'll try and get some up tonight. Due to an incident with the lathe and removing knurling, I won't have my Quark as a reference anymore...

On that note, the Quarks have very little meat to work with so don't try try de-knurling them :)

Beamhead, this is in fact a bright hand warmer. I really like the Aleph as a host for a rocket like this. I wold love to see some pictures of that build.

jellydonut

Enlightened

:takeit::takeit: :naughty:

No, but seriously. Would you consider making one, with a single-level driver? I'd looove to put one on my LX2. :devil:

foxtrot824

Enlightened

Jellydonut,

I haven't had a chance to place an XM-L behind SF TIR optics but I'd image it goes well. I've seen a few L1s for sale that have been modded with the XM-L and are direct drive.

Beamhead,

You set up looks very well centered from what I can see.

As for beamshots I have had rainy nights here in Boston and don't have an abundance of white wall space to light up. I am also a surprisingly bad photographer when it comes to shooting beamshots.

We will start with a side by side low setting. The XM-L on the left and my triple mix on the right.

The current draws at the tail for the XM-L are 110mA, 760mA and 2.6A from an AW 16430 that was mostly charged.

Now for the XM-L lighting up my very messy shelf of tools. First is the control shot then low->med->hi

jellydonut

Enlightened

Jellydonut,

I haven't had a chance to place an XM-L behind SF TIR optics but I'd image it goes well. I've seen a few L1s for sale that have been modded with the XM-L and are direct drive.
Oh, I didn't mean that - I meant the E head shown here, reflector and all, not the LX2 head. The LX2 is E-series compatible. I do not, in fact, even have the original head. I am presently using a VME/Malkoff head on my LX2. :)

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: E1e head with an XM-L light engine (New and imporoved! Many pictures)

Like ^Gurthang already mentioned, that is a clever way to attach the board. Is it soldered to the snug(slug?)?

Nice website too. I like the 'Copper Sandwich'. Great job!

McCoy

Newly Enlightened

How much weight did the copper add to the overall weight of the light? Looks like a pretty good chunk of metal in the head.

foxtrot824

Enlightened

Like ^Gurthang already mentioned, that is a clever way to attach the board. Is it soldered to the snug(slug?)?

Nice website too. I like the 'Copper Sandwich'. Great job!

On this build I just used JB weld to adhere this one. The copper sandwich was the beginning of a long line of sandwiched lights :)

How much weight did the copper add to the overall weight of the light? Looks like a pretty good chunk of metal in the head.

I don't have an exact weight on this snug, it adds some heft to the light but it's not too bad.

jellydonut

Enlightened

Ah, Maybe one day. There is a lot of work into these gems.
I understand. And I'd be ready to pay what they're worth. :)

It would however have to be a single-mode jobbie, since it is to be used with a two-stage tailcap. Multiple modes and a two-stage tailcap would just make for a very confusing UI, I think.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow. A three mode driver in one would be the perfect light for me. Hows the beam profile, mostly floody? I'm wondering what this would cost as well.

foxtrot824

Enlightened

jellydonut,

I'd agree about the UI getting a little complicated with a 2 stage tail cap :)

KDOG3- The beam has a decent hot spot with good spill, it does get big quickly though.
Honestly the cost of materials isn't that much it really just comes down to the labor of some simple machining then getting it all to fit and work reliably in the little head. I had to open it up numerous times to make sure I had a solid negative contact and to make sure the driver board clear ALL of the host I tried it on like E2e, E1b Aleph 17500 body. I'm not putting a price on this little gem yet but I have to say I can understand why Milky has the prices he does on his custom parts.

Pontiaker

Enlightened

Very cool Roman! I did try an XM-L behind a E1 style SF TIR and it didnt work very well, not much spot or throw but I am a complete noob so who knows if I was doing it right Lol! Looking forward to talking with you more, will need one for sure;~) Have a great vacation buddy!
Matt

CKOD

Enlightened

Nice work! I think it'd be hard to one up the layout of that with stuff thats practical to do yourself. ((unless you work at an optics manufacturer and can have stuff diamond turned and coated, or at a PCB fab and get a copper MCPCB made :D ))