Using rechargeable 123 on Streamlight TLR-1 or TLR-1s?

stockae92

Enlightened
Anybody tried using (protected) rechargeable 123 on Streamlight TLR-1 or TLR-1s?

I am thinking about getting one but wonder if I can run rechargeable 123 for training?

CQ73

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering the same thing. Yes, you should be the first to try it!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been told that the max input voltage to the ProTac 1AA/2AA/1L is 3.5V, and they are probably using a similar circuit for the TLR-1, so I would advise against 3.7V. Single CR123 lights use a boost circuit, so the higher voltage of the RCR123 will go straight to the LED, which may or may not be able to handle it.

GaAslamp

Enlightened
I've been told that the max input voltage to the ProTac 1AA/2AA/1L is 3.5V, and they are probably using a similar circuit for the TLR-1, so I would advise against 3.7V. Single CR123 lights use a boost circuit, so the higher voltage of the RCR123 will go straight to the LED, which may or may not be able to handle it.

Correct, except that the TLR-1 and TLR-1s are 2xCR123A weapon lights.

But in any case, I'm not going to be the first to try it. :D

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's confusing, as one would expect it to be TLR-2 if it uses 2 cells...either way, it would exceed the voltage, so the advice is still the same.

CQ73

Newly Enlightened
The TLR-2 is the one with the laser, and the TLR-3 is the small one. It's basically like saying "model 1, 2, and 3", not "it takes this many cells".

Good info. I'd lean against using 3.7v rechargeables; but I wonder if LiFePO4 or those AW cells limited to 3v would work?

Viper715

Enlightened
I'm not saying that it is a good idea to do it but I've ran my TLR-1 and 2 on RCR123 for a at least a year now. Several hours of constant on once a week or so for training and build g searches during that time and no ill effect yet. like I said though I'm not telling you to do it as I did it at my own risk and accepted that I may destroy the driver or LED. Actually in a way I wish it did fry something then I would have an excuse to upgrade it with a nice mod.