• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Need some help deciding on an Eiger with QTC

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
Howdy all!

I want to assemble my ideal version of a pocket light and was hoping to get some feedback and advice.

Currently I have an HA pocket-body Matterhorn and an HA pocket-body #8 Eiger. I really like the Eiger (it is my EDC), but there are many times the #8 level is just too much. I'd like something with less output. The problem is that ideally, I want both high and low outputs in the same light. I've tried some other multimode lights, but I keep coming back to the Peaks.

So here is what I am thinking. I'm thinking of something along the lines of a SS #8 Eiger medium optic, cool tint in either lug or keychain body, but adding a QTC pill to give me infinitely variable output. This is where my questions start…

1) Which body would be best to use with the QTC? I like the idea of the lug body, since it is one piece and simple, but the keychain would let me adjust the neg. terminal height to accommodate the QTC pill. Is the negative terminal adjustment essential to get the head's o-ring to seat all the way when adding a QTC pill?

2) By adding what is essentially a resistor in series with the power supply, would running a #8 Eiger at a really dim level be inefficient and lead to reduced runtimes?

3) Where is the best place to source these? I'm assuming RMSK for the Eiger, since it is a standard version, but where can I get the QTC easily?

4) I read the post where Curt says that Peak has designed a QTC module specifically for the lights, any ideas when this will be available?

Thanks for any additional advice or help you can give! :twothumbs

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping these potentiometer switches would be available by now to select different % for light output/runtime. Hope there is a news update as it's been about a year since I heard about it and didn't think it would take this long. Would be great if they could design a variable control ring. I love having this option on my IRIX headlamps as well as my JetBeam RRT-0 as well as other lights that have this like the Surefire Titan and the Nitecore IFE-2. Don't get left behind Peak, as the competition is getting hip to what users want.

Last edited:

Curt R

Enlightened
Have just finished making 850 sets of brass parts for the larger mountain
series of light using the QTC. The brass parts for the Eiger series of lights
will be done tomorrow. These will need to be Nickel plated. The Delrin
housings will start to be machined by this weekend. We will start with the
Volcan light and then the Logan and next the Eiger. Each light series will
have a different size housing to match the battery compartment.

Curt

bedazzLED

Enlightened
I've got a Peak 10180 and the Peak Rainier which I've just finished equipping with a QTC pill each. On the Rainier I've also added the diffuser film to smooth the beam and it is absolutely fantastic now.

With the QTC pills, I simply dabbed a little electrically conductive solder-glue on one side and positioned it at the bottom of the battery tube and it holds really well. Before that I simply had the QTC pill sitting on the bottom of the battery tube with nothing holding it down but the battery. Worked fine.

I got my QTC pills from www.mutr.co.uk.

The Peak's I got directly from www.peakledsolutions.com.

The fantastic diffuser film I got over at the marketplace from Phaserburn. This stuff is absolutely awesome as it only cuts out a fraction of the light but smooths out and diffuses the beam better than anything I've used before.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
Cool, thanks for the response!

What style body are you using, the keychain? I think I would ideally like the lug style body, but have concernes that the QTC will be thick enought to expose the o-ring when the light is turned off.

AnotherADDiction

Newly Enlightened
It looks like shipping to the USA is high, and I only need a few pieces of the QTC - does anyone want to do a group buy (or sell me a few - 5 or so?)
Thanks

archimedes

Flashaholic

What style body are you using, the keychain? I think I would ideally like the lug style body, but have concernes that the QTC will be thick enought to expose the o-ring when the light is turned off.

The QTC material is tiny and quite thin (<1mm), and fits inside the foam washer at the base of the body tube. Because it is partially conductive with light contact, though, the head will need to be just a bit looser than before for the light to be off. The O-ring will be nearer the top, but still should be within the tube.

I would consider it "splash-proof" with the QTC in place. Yes, probably less waterproof, but a reasonable trade-off for variable output, in my opinion.

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
It looks like shipping to the USA is high, and I only need a few pieces of the QTC - does anyone want to do a group buy (or sell me a few - 5 or so?)
Thanks

When I placed an order, it said they would email me if it was over 10GBP, but based on another post by some one (PCC?) shipping was only a couple of bucks. I had to order 70 pcs to push me over their 10GPB minimum order. It came to around $15 not including shipping.

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
The QTC material is tiny and quite thin (<1mm), and fits inside the foam washer at the base of the body tube. Because it is partially conductive with light contact, though, the head will need to be just a bit looser than before for the light to be off. The O-ring will be nearer the top, but still should be within the tube.

I would consider it "splash-proof" with the QTC in place. Yes, probably less waterproof, but a reasonable trade-off for variable output, in my opinion.

That's what I was hoping would be the case. My main concern isn't waterproofness, but that the head isn't so loose as to come off in my pocket since the o-ring provides most of the turning resistance.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Regarding weight for shipping, these QTCs weigh next to nothing. Each one is like a piece of plastic only a few millimeters in size. I would think that a single piece of paper would weigh more than a hundred of them.

Until you see them, it's hard to imagine how tiny they are. You have no worries with the light head staying securely attached, it is maybe a quarter-turn more to turn it off than before.

bedazzLED

Enlightened

I've got the Lug style body. There is no issue about the QTC pill being too thick as they are tiny and only 1mm thick. There is no issue of the light not being waterproof either. I snipped the tiny bit of the corners off the QTC pill so it's more rounded and now it sits inside the little rubber foot of the end of the battery tube. The QTC pill adds absolutely no height to the battery as it sits inside and lower than the rubber foot.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've got the Lug style body. There is no issue about the QTC pill being too thick as they are tiny and only 1mm thick. There is no issue of the light not being waterproof either. I snipped the tiny bit of the corners off the QTC pill so it's more rounded and now it sits inside the little rubber foot of the end of the battery tube. The QTC pill adds absolutely no height to the battery as it sits inside and lower than the rubber foot.

I do realize that this is splitting hairs, but the head does have to be a partial turn looser to be completely off with the QTC in place (even though it does indeed sit lower than the top of the anti-rattle foam washer). That is because the foam washer is non-conductive, unlike the QTC. Thus, the head has to be just a bit farther out to completely break electrical contact and turn the light off (by, yes, maybe 1 millimeter).

I don't know if I have explained this clearly, but in any case, the QTC thickness is not a problem.

Curt R

Enlightened
Finished machining 1200 brass QTC sets for the Eiger and Shasta lights
and will get them and the larger size sets to get platted tomorrow. Will
start on the Volcan plastic housings tomorrow. We will be shipping at least
100 lights or more to RMSK by next Wednesday the 27th of April.

Curt

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll admit that I find this new development exciting. I've often considered one of the Peak lights, but my desire for multiple levels always one out in the end. It might be time for me to reconsider an Eiger with a QTC.

gustophersmob

Newly Enlightened
Finished machining 1200 brass QTC sets for the Eiger and Shasta lights
and will get them and the larger size sets to get platted tomorrow. Will
start on the Volcan plastic housings tomorrow. We will be shipping at least
100 lights or more to RMSK by next Wednesday the 27th of April.

Curt

With the extra thickness of the brass parts you are describing in addition to the QTC material, did you have to make a longer battery tube, or do these fit in the bottom of existing ones?