Best use of thermal grease in SIPIK SK68

ledsmoke

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.

I've bought a SIPIK SK68 for a EDC and I'm very happy with it. I also bought some thermal paste (grease like) and the idea was to make thermal path better,
But now I'm in doubt.
In between the driver and the bottom of the led star there is a cavity that I thought I'd fill with grease to better remove heat out to the body. But is it alright to use this grease directly on the PCB with components, among others there is a copper coil. Or will it react/conduct and short the electronics?
My initial thought was that the grease is far better than the air that is there now - and I´m still sure that is the case - but if it shorts out the driver then I'm worse off than I´ll be if the heat gradually turns the color more and more blue and shortens its lifespan.

BTW what a great forum. Just logged on this morning to see if I had any answers and already I´ve spent half an hour on.... well... reading up on interesting stuff about led/light/lumens otf and the likes of it. Love it !

Last edited:

Brian10962001

Newly Enlightened
Thermal grease when applied very thickly isn't good and will actually hold in heat. I believe you're asking if you can use thermal grease to "pot" the driver (not 100% sure I know someone will straighten me out) and no, you don't want to use that, I think they generally use a JB weld like substance for it. For now I would leave it alone until someone can give you more experienced advice on the subject.