Difficult choice: choosing the batteries first then the flashlight ?

The battery choice would determine the flashlight ?

• AAA: small and tiny, a good power / runtime ratio

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, :wave:

Congratulations for this amazing forum :thumbsup:
A while ago, I decided to get myself a very cool Fenix LD01 which has been on my keychain for more than 4 years now and CPF help me choosing the right one.

Now, I would need some help from you again. I'm currently looking for a very good (urban survival) flashlight. :confused:
The reason ? I had a major power failure a month ago, no light for more than 6 hours and I tell you what: it a real pain....and I don't want this to happen again.
My trustworthy LD01 helped me a lot and since I had almost 4 x AAA batteries, I've been OK until the power came back. If I didn't have spare batteries that would have been tough.

The reason why I'm asking if I (we ?) should choose the flashlight because of the batteries is quite simple:

Scenario #1: AA batteries depleted. Easy to find in any store some "traditional" AA batteries. Did I mention I have rechargable 8 x NiMH 2700 mAh.
Scenario #2: CR123 flashlight. Powerful but batteries are expensive. I cannot have spare rechargable CR123 batteries...

All in all, is it better to have a flashlight that would use AA batteries ? Then I can have a quite large amount of rechargable AA batteries available anytime or should I go for a fancy CR123 flashlight ?

Form over function ? Practical over power ?
I'm considering Fenix (since I'm quite happy with my LD01) and also Surefire.
Fenix possible models: LD20, PD30, TA20 , TA30
Nitecore: Infilux IFD2-G R5, SR3

Many thanks for your help. Sorry to mention that, but I don't know much about flashlights and their technology and I'm sorry for my mistakes in this post. I'm not fluent in English so please forgive me.

All the best,

Bruce

Last edited:

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Re: Difficult choice: choosing the batteries first then the flashlight of its batteri

A lot of people like 18650 batteries because of good light output and runtime. It really depends on your needs. Address those first and the rest will come. What do you need? A large light? Or a small pocketable light like an HDS Rotary, or HDS Clicky? A thicker cell called the 26650 is starting to become popular. So far 4Sevens has a Maelstrom S12 for that. This is for the super bright flashlights in the 700-1000 lumens range. What will the light be used for?

hemdale

Newly Enlightened
Re: Difficult choice: choosing the batteries first then the flashlight of its batteri

Thank you Biology,

I intend the light to be kept in a backpack in a closet in my bedroom. I don't intend to use it all the time but a possible use would be on holidays, weekend, outdoor...
Maybe I'm being a bit (too) careful but I feel like I cannot only rely on a AAA keychain flashlight.
An allrounder flashlight would be good. I don't really need a massive amount of power but I would rather have a decent power and a quite good runtime.

What do you think of the flashlights I've mentioned in my previous post ? Is Surefire the "best of the best" and Nitecore would be ex aequo with Fenix ?
The Surefire E2D LED Defender looks sweet but...£161 is a bit steep isn't it ?

Last edited:

afdk

Newly Enlightened

Hello,

:wave: Why not consider a rechargable light that can also be recharged via your car battery! I have a Pelican 9410 lantern that's always on a Maintenance charge, and ready to use. If you have a major power outage it can also be charged via your car 12v outlet. This light can run for over 4 hours at a starting lumen level of 300. I also have a Fenix LD01 in stainless steel, nice little light!

Last edited:

knifeguy68

Newly Enlightened

Whichever way you go (assuming non-rechargeable) batteries, you should be able to do ok in an extended period of no power. CR123 batteries are not always easy to find, but if you plan a little ahead you can order in bulk online and just have plenty of spares when you need them. I order 50 at a time and generally run about a buck each.

AA batteries are cheap and I just get them whenever I see large packs of them on sale.

Since you mention keeping it in a closet meaning it might go a while unused, you could choose a AA ligth, put lithium batteries in it so it is ready to go when you need it but still have a pack of regular alkalines around for spares.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Depending on the amount of light you like, I'd get a single aa light. My favorites are the Thrunite Neutron 1A,
Quark Reg AA, Crelant 7G1, and the older Fenix LD10 Q5 with the orangepeel reflector.
Moonlight modes are great and can run for 100 hours but are only handy to night adjusted eyes.
Nitecore D11.2 would be a great choice.
You can get nimh rechargeables or 14500 for these lights (the Fenix and 14500 have issues but work) for bright compact lights.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
I have no experience with Nitecore so I cannot comment on their reliability. Surefire is best known for their reliability, not necessarily their brightness.

I have Fenix lights. I like them as they are reliable. As well, another one is Jetbeam, also very reliable. I have dropped my Jetbeams, Fenixes and my HDS's and they have been fine. You want reliability if you are to use them for Urban Survival as you mentioned. You may want to reconsider AA batteries. I use 18650's (rechargeable) because they are lithium and can work more effectively in harsh conditions than NIMH. Also, you can by multiple ones and have them on hand, charged and ready. As well the 18650 lights can take CR123 batteries. You can buy them for like $2-4, but that is okay, since they are there only if you need them. You can have a stack of them ready. But your main battery source is rechargeable to which you will have many charged anyway.

Remember also that two is one and one is none. Always have a backup. For the backup, you can pick anyone, a AA light, or another 18650 light. A few lights is not too many especially for your uses that you mentioned. Fenix has a TK21 that has multimode which is important for survival, as well it is built tough, and can take a beating. I will probably buy that. I have multiple lights so two or three isn't so many. I do recommend the 18650/2xCR123 lights. Even if you don't, you should have spare AA batteries (alkaline) on hand, as well as lithium AA as backup. You can use your NiMH as primary AA's. I have two Fenixes, a Jetbeam, Surefire, and HDS. It is good to have some backups, and various lights for various tasks.

ganymede

Enlightened
This is an excellent question, I am also wondering AA vs. CR123 vs. 18650. Lithium batteries do have more power to drive higher output lights but they are not available everywhere whereas AAs are easily available.

In an emergency situation, say natural disaster, wouldn't AA powered lights be the better option?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the power supply of a light is probably the first thing I look at when i consider buying a light. and I decide by asking the questions, how often the light will be used, by whom, and for what purposes.

If you're looking for an "emergency" type light a good 2xAA light with a couple a lithiums and spares, would be good.
but being set up for AA, AAA, and cr123 is even better.

I like cr123 lights, but i also have lights that use AA size batteries. I have a quark AA2 turbo with single AA body for that reason.

also, i think it depends on the availability of cr123 of where you live. Here in the states, its actually cheaper to buy cr123 lithiums as opposed to lithium AA.

so is it worth stocking up on cr123? only if you use your light on a regular basis. as for me, I use my light every night. why? cause im a flasholic LOL.

during an emergency, practical outweights power. less light is still much better than no light.

Last edited:

Forward_clicky

Newly Enlightened
This is an excellent question, I am also wondering AA vs. CR123 vs. 18650. Lithium batteries do have more power to drive higher output lights but they are not available everywhere whereas AAs are easily available.

In an emergency situation, say natural disaster, wouldn't AA powered lights be the better option?

I would think the AAs would be the first batts to be gone through during or after a natural disaster.

Forward_clicky

Newly Enlightened
I ended up with all 123 based lights due to the resonable deals I got on lights in the marketplace.
I plan on adding at least a couple AA lights and at least one more AAA light. (possibly more but please dont tell my wife). :eek:

CPFBiology

Enlightened
The key to surviving any disaster (or most disasters) is readiness. It doesn't matter which batteries, you go with, just make sure that you have a good amount stored away that have decent shelf life remaining. If you need AA batteries, and so does everyone else, it would probably mean that the stores near you would be sold out. If you go with the 18650 lights that I suggested, you could buy a case of CR123A batteries to keep around in case, or just a bunch every few years. It will be worth the small investment, when the batteries are actually needed. That said, you could also invest in a few AA batteries as well, but get the Lithium versions, as they are more hardy.

Be prepared, and not scared.
Two is one, one is none.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use all different kinds of batteries. I also have boxes of spares for each type. The important thing is that you have the spares and the flashlights with you. A briefcase or backpack would be good for that. When there is a widespread blackout most stores close, traffic lights go out, and traffic jams snarl the roads. You will also need water, food, etc. Dried camping food lasts well and is easy to fix.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I have AA and CR123 lights. While the added power that you can get from CR123s is fun, you can get AA lights that are plenty bright. The reason I decided to go primarily for CR123s is their shelf-life and their ability to maintain a charge in more extreme temperatures. When I'm out in a long, cold winter night, CR123s are going to deliver substantially more reliable performance.

For a light that's gonna be in a backpack, lithium batteries are probably a better choice than alkalines, whether you do AA or CR123.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like CR123s but I am able to get them for a reasonable price here in the U.S. In your case I think I would opt for a AA light that way you can utilize your rechargables and keep lithium AAs on hand.Keep in mind that common AA alkalines have a high leak potential and are best avoided in my opinion.Nitecore seems to have quality problems from time to time so I would go with Fenix over them.The SF should provide a good quality light but the price is more than I want to pay for what it offers.The Quark 2AA would make a good light as well and it is able to use a single AA or CR123 with the appropriate bodies.If at all possible try to buy from a vendor that will support the product as any light brand including SF can have defective lights on occasion.

Xacto

Enlightened
I would think the AAs would be the first batts to be gone through during or after a natural disaster.

Yet can be scavanged from many household items (TV remote, toys, alarm clocks etc).

I think a mixed bag of CR123 and AA lights (or lights that can use both e.g. Surefire 6P with extender or Surefire 9P or Solarforce L2 with extender - 3xCR123 equals 2xAA in length) would be ideal.

Cheers
Thorsten

Forward_clicky

Newly Enlightened
Yet can be scavanged from many household items (TV remote, toys, alarm clocks etc).

I think a mixed bag of CR123 and AA lights (or lights that can use both e.g. Surefire 6P with extender or Surefire 9P or Solarforce L2 with extender - 3xCR123 equals 2xAA in length) would be ideal.

Cheers
Thorsten

Agreed on the availability on the AAs in other products.
Also for me a substantial variety of different lights (at least a couple of each) and the related batteries for them is what I plan on having.

wingspar

Newly Enlightened
I choose the light first. I have a stockpile of AAA, AA, and CR123 batteries, so choosing light by battery is immaterial to me. I have the Fenix PD30, and it is my favorite and most used light. I 0wn four Fenix lights, and have given a few for presents.

ganymede

Enlightened
The key to surviving any disaster (or most disasters) is readiness. It doesn't matter which batteries, you go with, just make sure that you have a good amount stored away that have decent shelf life remaining. If you need AA batteries, and so does everyone else, it would probably mean that the stores near you would be sold out. If you go with the 18650 lights that I suggested, you could buy a case of CR123A batteries to keep around in case, or just a bunch every few years. It will be worth the small investment, when the batteries are actually needed. That said, you could also invest in a few AA batteries as well, but get the Lithium versions, as they are more hardy.

Be prepared, and not scared.
Two is one, one is none.

To get to your stored batteries, first you have to get to your house assuming the house is still around and you can access it. In the face of calamity, any amount of readiness will still be inadequate just look at the Japanese in the recent tsunami.

In an urban survival scenario, I would say AAs get my vote.