DiveRite 10w HID to Aspheric XM-L

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received this light this morning for an upgrade from a fellow CCR diver.

The customer wanted a tightly focused beam suitable for murky conditions so we decided on using an aspheric lens to tightly focus the beam with no side spill that could cause excess back scatter.

First step was to make up a heat sink.
Second was to make up the lens holder.
Third was to wire it all up.

First pic shows the LED which is a Cree XM-L, 3 mode driver, aspheric lens
heatsink and lens holder.
MR11components.jpg

MR11assembly.jpg

MR11.jpg

This last pic is a beam shot of another light using the same components.

XMLW200hi.jpg

Codiak

Enlightened
Yah, very nice.

I'd already rolled to a pill design for the led and circuit but your lense holder is just the missing piece!
Is that black delrin?

airsix

Newly Enlightened
No air gap and flat lens forward of the aspheric? Sorry if it's there and I'm missing it. I'm viewing on a tiny phone screen.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys.

Yeah its acetal/POM / Delrin
There is the stock flat lens. Its just not shown with the pill.

nwbrewer

Newly Enlightened
Those little DR lightheads work awesome for modding. I put the same driver and XML in one for a friend, but I use a Fraen MC-E reflector. Sweet setup.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice! Klem, I get 2.5" Delrin in the States for about $20 per foot. It goes up about $5 per foot every 1/4"... Pack, feel free to convert to metric... lol!

Nice work !

May I ask. Friend of mine have Halcyon 10W HID which is made from delrin . He saw on DR pages LED dropin for DR 10W HID . ( some low power led )

Is DR laphead made from delrin or aluminium ? How much heat produce XML dropin ? (Probably head shud be made from alu ?)

Thanks.

little nick

Newly Enlightened
Nice work !

May I ask. Friend of mine have Halcyon 10W HID which is made from delrin . He saw on DR pages LED dropin for DR 10W HID . ( some low power led )

Is DR laphead made from delrin or aluminium ? How much heat produce XML dropin ? (Probably head shud be made from alu ?)

Thanks.
The head is aluminium & good to modify. I have done a couple of P7 - but am looking to upgrade with a XML.

I am intrested guys - in the comparison of the atmospheric to a DX reflector - what are your thoughts?

Which atmospheric did you use?

little nick

Newly Enlightened
It's Ok - just found the answer to one of my questions on the other thread - regarding the lense!

Still intrested in your opinions regardind the atmospheric vs reflector - real life / under water.

It looks like the way foward. It may have to be my next project

airsix

Newly Enlightened
Regarding aspheric vs. reflectors... I'm mixed about it. My current primary light is a ssr90 behind an aspheric. No spill of course. Absence of backscatter is great, but if there is no ambient light it's challenging. For example, I did a deep low vis wreck dive with nwbrewer in Sept. It was pitch black. The beam had very good throw but I couldn't even see my own hands. A little spill would be nice. On the other hand all my reflector lights have been too floody.

little nick

Newly Enlightened
nothing to do with the athmosphere ;-)
it's an aspheric lens which means that it's surface(s) deviate from 'perfect' spheres. I'm making one myself but didn't finish it yet so can't tell how it compares underwater.
Thanks - I blame spell checker

Lucca - defocusing could be a good option to gain a little spill. Interested in the results

jspeybro

Enlightened
defocussing will usually not help very much as it will just increase the angle of the cone of light, not providing a bright center spot with spill around it. You might be able to find something between the narrow spot and the floody beams that suits your needs.

hypertech

Newly Enlightened
I'm working on a similar dive light based on a custom head with an xm-l. Where did you get the lens from?