What particular emitters to choose or avoid

lovemylexicon

Newly Enlightened
if I want to buy lights with pure white output and avoid greenish tints----for both all-purpose and high power led lights?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi lovemylexicon,

Welcome to CPF.

The best way I know to guarantee you will get a perfectly white tint is to pick up pre owned lights on the MP. This way you can ask about the tint before purchasing.

Typically in my XP if you are buying off the shelf lights, you can expect the best tint from Luxeon lights and most of the Cree XRE/XPG lights that are higher end stuff.

One other option also is to pick a light you like, and then either swap or have some one swap the emitter for you. Then you get exactly the tint you want.

Here is a thread that has all the color bin info that will help you choose a color that is right for you.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...nd-Vf-Charts-and-Links-for-Popular-White-LEDs

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a rare bin of XP-G that is more green, but other than that, there's pretty much no difference as long as you don't get any multi-5mm LED lights.

Most of my Luxeon Rebel lights have a slightly pinkish tint, and a couple XR-E's are like that as well. That being said, I do have a couple lights that are pure white (Maglite 3D LED with Luxeon Rebel, Streamlight ProTac 2AA and SureFire E2L AA with Cree XR-E, Inova T4 with Cree XP-G).

DLite57

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I prefer an XP-G R5, finding it to be a very white emitter, which I like. Tried an XP-G S2 & found that to be very green. Sent it back for a refund, as it wasn't what I ordered anyway. Until the S2 has more tints offered, I'd stay away from those!
Jeff

mrlysle

Enlightened
Fenix also has some offerings with what they called a rare, or very limited, (can't recall the exact wording ATM) S3 emitter. Some of them have a green tint to them. A lot of folks here have commented on the S3's, saying they didn't like them because of the green tint. I have a Quark 123x2 Ti Turbo with the S3 and mines not bad at all. But it's something to be aware of. Not really sure how much longer there'll even be an S3 though. Maybe they're about dried up.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I prefer an XP-G R5, finding it to be a very white emitter, which I like. Tried an XP-G S2 & found that to be very green. Sent it back for a refund, as it wasn't what I ordered anyway. Until the S2 has more tints offered, I'd stay away from those!
Jeff

+1

Stay away from S2's. I own a Quark AA2 Tac S2, and the tint's really greenish.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had good luck with XP-G S2 in my Maelstrom S2 and Eagletac P20C2 so I think it probably varies as much as R5, the most consistent tint I've seen recently is in my light's with XM-L and I have to say I really like it.