Bayonet fit tail cap?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I was looking to get hold of a cut down, 1D length Maglite host, for use with 32600, 26650, 18650 li-ion cells or a 3xNiMH 1.2v battery holder - it's a handy size in terms of having a number of battery options, offering good capacity to run a simple P7 mod, while remaining relatively small (in legtn at any rate, if not width).

So far so normal - I'm not breaking any new ground here. I basically just want to replicate the 3D P7 Mag I already own, but in smaller, lighter, handier format.

Problem is, my intended supplier for the host (Britelumens) has no 1D Mags left. I've kept an eye on the trade forum, but nothing has caught my eye, and some hosts I have seen have been considerably more expensive than Britelumens listing - I'll probably post a WTB thread anyway, and see what pops up.

I had been wondering if I might be able to convert one of my pre-existing Mags to 1D, but want to keep the head threading and stock switch if possible. However, I don't have the means to re-cut the tail threads.

What I had wondered is if anyone had ever cut the tail cap and installed pins in to the side of the body for a bayonet fitting? Obviously need to be careful about the battery width to prevent shredding the battery skin, and 32600 and the 3AA battery holder may be a no go, but otherwise this seems feasible. Dropping the spring in to the base of the cap and then cutting two or more L-shaped slots for the pins seems more of a DIY proposition then cutting new threads when you have no access to a lathe.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Any experience of doing this?

Thanks
Stephen