Recall of some Chinese lithium-ion batteries used in bicycle lights

CoryZ

Newly Enlightened
This is the Geomangear Magicshine recall. It's been posted about on here before, but they're finally actually doing something about it.

I am happy there is a recall if the battery pack is unsafe. I am glad I bought from an American company, as it's probably easier to deal with them than if I'd purchased from DX. I like the light too, it does a great job for the price.

With that said, I'm not impressed by how they're going about the recall.

Apparently they have enough stock to sell us one right away, but not to service the recalls. An email went out today urging us to buy a $56 battery so we can use our lights right away.

This doesn't sit right with me.

I have a useless bike light at the moment. There is an indeterminate time for a replacement battery, as apparently stocks are low. The battery must be sent in (on our dime) or recycled before they send a new one.

hatman

Enlightened
CoryZ,
Sounds like you have a comment worth filing with the Consumer Product Safety Commission!

pe2er

Enlightened
What surprised me, is the great number of units sold; [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
"Units:
About 16,600 in the United States and 1,500 in Canada"
So 17,100 replacements batteries at say $50 each, that's $855,000 :eek:

[/FONT]

hatman

Enlightened
What surprised me, is the great number of units sold;
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]"Units: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]About 16,600 in the United States and 1,500 in Canada"[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]So 17,100 replacements batteries at say $50 each, that's $855,000 :eek:[/FONT]

Only if consumers find out.