Whats the best EDC light from these?

apurva

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPFers!*

I need help choosing a keychain LED light and have been doing some reading here. I must say that to the most entusiastic reader, the stuff in CPF takes ages to go through! Love this place! Right now back to my question, I need a keychain light, has to be as tiny as possible for EDC as it has to join my multi tool and a whole bunch of keys. I am also looking for variable light control as I would prefer to own the brightest possible light and then not have to use it in the brightest setting all the time to conserve power, as I assume power would be expensive in a tiny light with small batteries. I need it to be waterproof as I stay in a place where it rains for 6 months a year. I have explored quite a few of the AAA lights and I dont think they are small enough for me to dangle into my keychain, so I am guessing I need some kind of light with rechargable batteries. So here is what I have found and shortlisted so far -*

Photon Rex - http://www.photonlight.com/products/Photon-ReX-Li%2dIon-Rechargeable-LED-Micro%2dLight.html - This seems to fit my requirement specifications the most! Probably the lightest in the category i think. However not quite as cool and sexy looking as the cool metal lights that some of you have showcased on the CPF, also I am not sure if they are waterproof.*

Lummi Wee - http://www.lummi.co.uk/Wee_NS.html or the Lummi Rex -* http://www.lummi.co.uk/Raw_Ti.html - I have been drooling over the pictures on the website over and over now! These lights are absolutely stunning and would definately be my first choice, only thing holding me back on them are that they are not immediately available for purchase as the site says there is a wait time of atleast 30 days and I have been reading about people having issues with getting their deliveries. So I think even if i dont buy this light light now, eventually i surely will get one of these. (And which version and metal to choose would be a question for a different thread :)*

Aeon - http://www.muyshondt.net/aeon.shtml - Seems to be a cool alternative to Lummi's lights, havent read much about this one

Surefire T1A Titan - http://www.surefire.com/The-T1A-Titan - Surefire seems to be a reliable brand and these are available to buy from Ebay / Amazon (Makes it easy for me to order and get easy delivery)

Leatherman Monarch 200 - http://www.photonlight.com/products/Leatherman-Monarch-200-Mini-LED-Keychain-Flashlight.html - Looks cute, i dont think its very bright, shortlisted this as I like Leatherman tools. Though i read somewhere on CPF Leatherman has stopped selling these, but they are still available on Ebay

Sunwayman V10R Ti - http://www.sunwayman.com/html/products/201012/46.html - found this from a banner ad on CPF, looks cool but have no info about it and dunno how to buy it! the site doesnt sell em (but they spend on banner ads?) Would love to know more about these.

Fenix Digital LD01 R4 - https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=2477 - I know its AAA but from all the EDC and keychain threads i read, a lot of people said they used this every day, so I added it to the mix.

I read about a lot of model numbers on the forums without relevant names to assist me in googling the lights out, so am pretty sure I missed quite a few suitable lights. Reading so many model numbers and TLAs can make you dizzy! (hence I've put full names to the lights above with links to them :) Please feel free to point out to something that might fit my requirements and have missed.*

FInally, the answers to the CPF Flashlight Recommendation Checklist,*

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
X____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.*
____Less than $100.*
X____Less than $150.*
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:*

X____I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

X____Keychain size.
X____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

X____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

X____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
X____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
X____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
X____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
X____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).*

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
X____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
X____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
:)____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
X____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
X____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)*
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
X____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.*

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
X____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):*

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
X____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.*

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)*
X____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)*
X____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
X____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Thanks for any help, this is probably one of the coolest forums I have signed up to!*

srfreddy

Enlightened
I would only get the Wee secondhand, the V10R is a great EDC, but nowhere near keychain size. For AAA lights, multimode: Preon Revo (best, most expensive), LD01, ITP A3. Another great light is the Fenix E05, which is less bright, but smaller and has better beam pattern than the others.

crizyal

Enlightened
Photon Rex
I have one of these, I do like it though it kind of feels cheap. The rechargeable feature is nice and so is the variable output. It is bigger than it looks in the photos. Pretty good for the money, though I would not list it as the best.

Lummi Wee
This is a spectacular little light and I would venture to say that it would be the best keychain light of all that you mentioned. You can get it in several different brightnesses and materials. One problem with this light is availability. I would definately agree with the above statement, get it used in the Market Place.

This light is rock solid! It has great output for it's size and 40 hours of runtime on low. I EDC this light often, though not on my keys because I would hate to scratch it up. Some might say that it is a little too thick for keys anyway. It fits in the watch pocket extremely well.

Surefire T1A Titan
I had this light and sold it. The UI is quite nice, but it was a bit too big and not bright enough for my liking. Expensive, though Surefire has the best warrantee in the business.

I have no experience with the other lights that you mentioned so I will not comment on them.

If I could get any keychain light, I would probably get the Draco. They are a bit hard to find these days, but they do come up once in a while on the market place. It is about the size of a wee (slightly longer), had three modes and is programmable. They were made in a chrome plated version and a Ti version. I had a chrome Draco that I sold a while back and it is my most regretted sale. I really wish I still had that light.

Hope this helps.

Oh and :welcome:

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy apurva, and welcome to CPF!
For what you are asking....... 150-300 lumens for 90-120 minutes to light up 30-150 yards away........ I think you are going to have to think a bit bigger than you are now.

Probably a CR123 battery based light. There are some nice bright models available that a lot of CPF folks use on their key rings. They are a bit big bigger around than a AAA, but shorter...... and those CR123 batteries (and RCR batteries) pack a lot of juice in a small space, along with enough voltage to light up an LED to the levels you seem to need.

Possibly something like this:
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297&products_id=2564

Although it won't accept regular RCR123 lithium ion rechargeable batteries, it will give you an idea of what this type of light is capable of. It will give you 210 lumens for an hour, or a bit over 1 lumen for 100 hours, or a very usable 45 lumens for 6.5 hours. However, it might be able to run 3.0 volt rechargeable cells, so you could look into that.

There are a number of AAA lights on the market that have a slimmer profile, and might suit you better...... like the Fenix LD01...... but they won't be able to match the output and runtime of a CR123 based light.

I've also been looking for another good key ring light lately, and my reading has led me to feel that the Preon Revo in the aluminum body is my best bet. Unfortunately, it is unavailable at the moment, so looks like I'll have to wait for a while.

In any case, don't be in a hurry. Spend some more time reading the reviews and various threads here at CPF, and pretty soon you will begin to get an idea for what will work best for you.

Happy hunting!

joe1512

Enlightened
I have an itp A1 that uses a rechargable CR123. It is a bit shorter than a AAA but almost twice as fat. Still, I dont really notice it on my keychain and it does output over 200 lumens, making it 2.5 times stronger than an A3 using a typical AAA.

The most modern one you can get is the ThruNight Neutron 1C. It is an inch longer than the A1, but uses the latest emitter for a crazy 450 lumens(!!!) using a rechargable CR123! If it wasnt an inch longer than my A1 I would buy one and replace what I have, as it produces twice the light. Still, I love the twisty of the A1 instead of the clicky which Im afraid will come on accidently in my pocket.

bmcgators98

Enlightened
Last edited:

apurva

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, thanks for the warm welcome! 2 posts down I already feel at home here :)

I thought I had seen most of the lights in the small segment that would appeal to me before I wrote this post, I was so wrong! Thanks for all your suggestions! And now that I have looked at so many lights, and looking at they way all of you collect, I am pretty sure I wont be satisfied with only one! So I have decided to split my requirements to getting an in expensive keychain light for finding keyholes in the dark and random home / car use, and another high intensity torch possibly a CR123a based one like Derek suggested, though i would need rechargeable ones as CR123s are not easily available around here. I will be getting an EDC pouch like this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DYVCX/?tag=cpf0b6-20 to carry the bigger light along with my phone and Skeletool CX so maybe even CR2 lights might work for me. Again as you all suggested, I will look and read and look around a little more, shortlist the best suited ones and come ask you guys again :)

As for the keychain light, I shortlisted a few inexpensive alternatives, that I wont mind getting scratched with keys. I would love to hear suggestions

Photon Rex* - $30 - http://www.photonlight.com/products/Photon-ReX-Li%2dIon-Rechargeable-LED-Micro%2dLight.html

iTP A1 EOS SS - http://www.itplight.com/product_show.asp?id=219 - $33 on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049R1ABS/?tag=cpf0b6-20 - I dont know exactly how big or heavy this is, and also wondering if it will take rechargables

Leatherman monarch - $10 http://www.photonlight.com/products/Leatherman-Monarch-200-Mini-LED-Keychain-Flashlight.html - Seems to be discontinued on their site, but available from this link.

eGear PICO Zipper Light - $10 on amazon - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SAM0IQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20 - There is a similar one by Streamlight too, wonder if these are any bright.

Anything thats avaialbe on Amazon is easier for me to buy as I can club some purchases and save on shipping.

Thanks for all the help!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Not sure if what you want right now are even MORE options, but you did ask ....

Probably the closest to your specific requirements would be the Klarus keychain lights. Sorry I can't remember the model numbers right now (X5, X6?), but one uses a AAA battery and the even smaller one uses a AAAA (yes, 4A!).

Another AAA based light to consider would be the IlluminaTi (now sold out, I believe, but they occasionally sell on CPFMP).

Peak makes quite a variety of small lights, like the AAA Eiger. Only one output mode, though, unless you install a QTC. I often carry a Peak ShastaX with a rechargeable NiMH N-cell and that QTC for a tiny, bright, and variable floody beam.

If you are willing to go with a custom light, Ku's 38 Direct Drive would fit most of your needs, as well. These also sell occasionally on the MarketPlace.

Good luck, and welcome to CPF!

EDIT: The Klarus X5 is the AAAA, the X6 is the AAA.

Also, the eGear picolight and the Streamlight Nano are both great keychain lights, but much smaller (and lower output) than the others -- they run on button cells.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes........ I think you are on the right track now.

Do remember that your key ring light will likely get a lot of abuse. I know I frequently drop my keys when fumbling around by the doorway, so look for something with a reputation for reliability.

Here's one that may not be very glamorous, but it's got an excellent reputation and provides a nice white, floody beam for general closeup duties:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D2A02O/?tag=cpf0b6-20

or here is the same light, but for $5 more you get the newest LED:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B724IE/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Now, for around the same price you can certainly get something like the ITP A3 upgraded version with 3 light levels. A lot of folks on CPF love these light lights, just make sure you are getting the latest version if you decide to go in this direction.

I will say this, and I'm sure some folks might disagree, but I'm not a fan of stainless steel for AAA lights, mainly because it can't dissipate heat nearly as well as aluminum can..... and in a light like the ITP, which can generate some significant heat, this can be harmful to the electronics and the LED.

For me, weight is another issue with SS, although much less of an issue in this size light. I just don't want anything heavier than necessary on my keyring.

Of course, the flip side is....... SS looks great, and it certainly wears well, and for some folks the extra weight is no big deal (or they actually LIKE the extra heft and solid feeling) and the fact that the extra heat might degrade the LED life by a few hundred hours (out of 50,000) doesn't bother them because they'll have a new key ring light to play with WAY before that becomes a problem :).

Oh, as if you don't have enough to read on CPF, this is another good review site:
http://www.light-reviews.com/

As you can see..... you've fallen in with crazy people. We love flashlights, and there are as many opinions about which light is best for which task as there are CPF members.

Keep reading and remember, the main thing is to have fun!

apurva

Newly Enlightened
The Klarus X5 is the AAAA, the X6 is the AAA.

These lights look amazing and really compact! Have added the X6 to my wishlist, will research how it fares comparatively to other AAAs. AAAAs are hard to find where I stay so I guess I'll stick to AAAs or RCR123as

As you can see..... you've fallen in with crazy people. We love flashlights, and there are as many opinions about which light is best for which task as there are CPF members.

Keep reading and remember, the main thing is to have fun!

I like crazy people :) Reading all this detail is absolute fun! never thought one could get so informed about flashlights! I think I am going a bit crazy too cuz i just justified to myself that I absolutely need atleast three flashlights.... no wait .... 4! :p

Johnny Lightyear

Newly Enlightened
Don't have a lot of experience with the others but I LOVE my Fenix Digital LD01 R4.
Have been carrying it for some time on my key chain and have had no problems whatsoever. Very bright for a AAA!

blackfly

Enlightened
Here's my input on the lights I've had experience with that you listed:

Photon REX: I carried a REX for a couple years on my keychain. It is pretty bright & is mostly flood. It is also a convenient light because of the options you have for recharging it. It is kind of cheap though. I went through several. One of them broke right away & others were finicky with trying to recharge them. I bought mine when they were first introduced to the market. The company might have fixed these issues since then.

Lummi Wee: I currently edc a Lummi Wee Ti with a 25 lumen emitter. It has about 35 minutes of run time before the brightness level begins to rapidly diminish. You have custom options such as different finishes; tritium locators; or emitters of various levels of brightness. It is one of my favorite & most used lights. But you may have a bit of a wait if you order one.

Surefire Titan: It has a smooth UI that allows you to adjust the brightness from low to high with a twisting action. It's probably too big for a keychain light but fine if you choose another mode of carry. It isn't very bright for it's size though.

Muyshondt Aeon: This is a two stage light that you operate by twisting the bezel. It is smaller & brighter than the surefire. It is probably suitable for keychain carry if you don't mind putting it on your keys. The battery lasts a very long time. The only negative thing I have to say about it is it has a greenish tint to the beam. The green tint is only noticeable to me on the low setting.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
+1 on getting a Wee second-hand if you decide on that one. (And there's a very good reason why.)

Out of those, Fenix LD01 gets my vote in terms of being best; overall. Quality, price, output, runtime on lower setting.

Hangfire79

Newly Enlightened
I don't have experience with any of these either but my next $50 will be going to the 4Sevens minix.

apurva

Newly Enlightened
+1 on getting a Wee second-hand if you decide on that one. (And there's a very good reason why.)

uhh why?

Also, everyone seems to recommend the Wee and not the Raw... wonder why?

From my reading of the forums, it seems that there are a lot more options in the AAA category than any other in the EDC segment, and the Klarus X6 that archimedes suggested is my favorite pick in the AAA segment.

I am currently tilting towards the Sunwayman V10R Ti - http://www.sunwayman.com/html/products/201012/46.html Reason being, it runs RCR123as and has an extender to accomodate AA batteries as well! The battery strategy works excellent for me, as I can have best of both worlds. I also like what I hear about the rotating + reverse clicky UI. The only problem is its quite expensive compared to the fenix / olight and others, so dunno if its worth $170++ (with the extender)

I am a little dizzy with the whole CREE Led product lines, so I would love it if someone could point me to a thread that explains them, or atleast tell me whats the right series + version i should be looking for

TurdFerguson

Newly Enlightened
You'd be doing yourself a dis-service if you don't consider the 4Sevens Quark Mini CR2. It replaced my Fenix LD01 as my EDC. Incredibly bright on high (I think ~190 lumens), with good run-time on low. Low-med-high and some well hidden strobe settings.