• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Haiku XP-G Runtimes?

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys I recently purchased a Haiku warm XP-G and admittedly I haven't used it enough to use up a battery. Has anyone done a runtime test for this light? I did some searching but didn't find anything substantial. Also how will this light behave once the battery starts to go dead? Thanks for the replies.

Jason

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure on run times, but what I've noticed is when the battery is starting to fall off, it becomes difficult to switch between levels.

bmcgators98

Enlightened
I am only guessing based on personal use, not a runtime test, but I would say high on primaries of about an hour , 30-45 minutes on RCR. Medium is probably 4-5 hours.

Would love to know if I am right.

I know that Scout24 did a runtime test on low and got 41 hours.

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure on run times, but what I've noticed is when the battery is starting to fall off, it becomes difficult to switch between levels.

I am only guessing based on personal use, not a runtime test, but I would say high on primaries of about an hour , 30-45 minutes on RCR. Medium is probably 4-5 hours.

Would love to know if I am right.

I know that Scout24 did a runtime test on low and got 41 hours.

Good info guys, Thanks! BMC your runtime is about my style so GTG!

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just completed a runtime test on my haiku xpg. All I can say is that I used AW's black top cells and manage to get 38, 42 and lastly 47mins on the high setting. I had a fan on during the test but not aimed straight to the haiku but to get ample air in the room. All three tests concluded with the batts went into the protection mode. At first I thought it went to protection due to heat issues, but with close inspection revealed that the heat went mostly to the head area, the battery tube had a slight temperature increase. i would estimate around 15% to the batt tube and 85% concentrated on the head. The fins on the head really does work in dissipation of heat not unlike the mule PD. At the 40 min mark, I can actually fully close my palm around the haiku without having any discomfort.
Having just 3 McGizmo to compare, the Haiku dissipates heat much better than the PD-S and Mule PD.

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a side note, I traded for a High CRI Mule a few weeks ago and it didn't even dawn on me at the time that the LE's from my warm Haiku and the HC Mule would be interchangeable. Imagine my surprise when I finally figured it out! Prior to getting my first McGizmo I was so skeptical about price vs. practical application and I couldn't have been more wrong. I think it's fair to say I have the "bug"!

bmcgators98

Enlightened
Bass,
Yes, the 119 LE from the Mule can be used in the Haiku XP-G head but I would advise some kapton tape just for security. I add it to those 119LE's that I use in the Haiku High CRI builds. The O-ring alone should take care of the needed isolation and stand off of reflector from solder pads but I feel better with the tape in place as well.

The two wires coming into the LED need to be isolated from the reflector. See Don's post above. He also mentioned that nail polish would work. This quote is from the Haiku High CRI thread. There is a lot of discussion about LE swaps.

I had a mule but ended up trading it. I like the focused beam more. With all the buzz over the HDS High CRI, I not sure why the Haiku with this LE does not get more talk.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two wires coming into the LED need to be isolated from the reflector. See Don's post above. He also mentioned that nail polish would work. This quote is from the Haiku High CRI thread. There is a lot of discussion about LE swaps.

I had a mule but ended up trading it. I like the focused beam more. With all the buzz over the HDS High CRI, I not sure why the Haiku with this LE does not get more talk.

My guess would be cost. I thought it was nuts when I bought my first Ra/HDS regarding the price and the step up to McGizmo is at least double. Not that they aren't worth it, just that it doesn't fit most peoples budget.