Led Headlight for reading and blackouts

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. Floody lights are best for reading in the dark and setting up camp. If you're new to headlamps please see both threads in my sig line.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Tikkina is nice enough. I would probably be satisfied using it for reading and blackouts. It has a nice build quality and also not too bright (there is such a thing as too bright for close-up).

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I prefer my Zebra Light H501 for reading, but if you wanted a bit more throw the H51F might bew better suited. Lots of threads here on CPF about these (and other) headlights.

Harry999

Enlightened
I'm not sure that the Surefire Saint is good for reading purposes. I read on CPF that while fine for outdoor use at close range there are artifacts which would distract from reading.

For close in use a floody Zebralight would be better. Amongst the Petzl range I use the Tactikka XP with the floody diffuser filter. It has a great tint and the economy level is prefect for reading.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure that the Surefire Saint is good for reading purposes. I read on CPF that while fine for outdoor use at close range there are artifacts which would distract from reading.

You can see the beamshots and decide for yourself, see the link in my sig line. Personally I would not consider the Saint's beam to be ideal for reading.

carrot

Flashaholic
You can see the beamshots and decide for yourself, see the link in my sig line. Personally I would not consider the Saint's beam to be ideal for reading.

And yet I consider it quite acceptable.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there you go. Carrot's recommendations are trustworthy. So add the Saint to your list of possibilities.

carrot

Flashaholic
Well, there you go. Carrot's recommendations are trustworthy. So add the Saint to your list of possibilities.

Take it with a grain of salt, however, that everyone's tastes are different! Bolster has a very refined taste in headlamps and I am somewhat less picky.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bolster doesn't own a Saint, so Bolster should not be passing judgment on the Saint's beam for reading. Bolster thinks you'd better listen to Carrot, who actually owns one and reads with it.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my Saint for soldering, reading, working on computers, searching around the attic, looking for lost puppies... it's great... buy one...

jrk

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Zebralight H51WF as a head-mounted book light. I liked the H501W as well, but it failed for a second time less than one month after it returned from its long slow repair trip to China. The H51WF has been rock solid and has seen a lot of page-turning. I'm sure the Surefire is great, but for a reading light I really like a lightweight single AA rechargeable headlamp.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm starting to get the sense that Zebralight repairs aren't really repaired. I've heard this a number of times. I can overlook some small percentage of failure, but it's hard to overlook repairs not being repaired, that's not right.

vtunderground

Enlightened
I just dug my Saint out & did a little reading with it. The 'low' click (10 lumens?) is a perfect level for reading in the dark. The beam worked very well, it lit up the pages evenly. You just have to keep in mind that there's always going to be the faint square artifact - the projection of the LED die - in the middle of the beam.

That being said, I think the Saint Minimus is overkill for what the OP is looking for.

I'd suggest the Princeton Tec Quad. Floody beam, 3 light levels, fantastic warranty (although since it's based on the reliable Eos, you shouldn't need to worry about this). It can be found for as little as $20 online.

yousaf465

Newly Enlightened
thanks everybody I think I have got enough literature to go through. Will read the links.

The headlamp should be strong enough for a sleep over. I mean it should get crushed under my own weight bcz I often doze while reading.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Black Diamond Spot at $40 would work as well. It has a secondary mode with diffuse leds that would be good for reading and the main beam good for blackouts.