Fenix LD40...

Ian2381

Enlightened
Just bought a Fenix LD40 and currently in transit. I actually don't need this light and bought it for the fact that it is powered by AAs as compared to most of my powerful lights powered by 18650 and 14500.
It Shows 248lumens max, hs anyone moded this light to maximize output?

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered one myself. The lights I have are all quite floody so I needed a good thrower and I only ever go for aa or aaa lights. Looking forward to checking it out.

Kokopelli

Enlightened
It is more powerful than it sounds or reads. Way enough output for outdoors I can say. And has a long running low low. I wouldn't bother modding it.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
It is more powerful than it sounds or reads. Way enough output for outdoors I can say. And has a long running low low. I wouldn't bother modding it.

I agree, the light is awesome in stock form. I don't think there would be much point in putting an xm-l in there unless it could be driven harder, but then there would probably be heat sinking issues due to the plastic body.

low

Enlightened
I just ordered one myself.
Unless I see something different from the spec sheet, I do not belive there needs to be any changes made.
We will see.

I also ordered a H51w at the same time for the headlight use and the fact that it has a much lower low.
Perhaps a great pair????

Low

Ian2381

Enlightened
I just ordered one myself.
Unless I see something different from the spec sheet, I do not belive there needs to be any changes made.
We will see.

I also ordered a H51w at the same time for the headlight use and the fact that it has a much lower low.
Perhaps a great pair????

Low

Wow, I also bought the LD40 to pair with my H51.
My current hiking/climbing/camping setup is the H51 with SOlarforce L2m w/ r5 drop in and Solarforce L2 with XML.

Can anyone compare the output of the LD40 to the RQ Q5 or Solarforce Skyline1?

Deal4

Enlightened
I too would like to hear from someone who owns a LD40 and has had some time to use/play with it. How tough is the plastic body? The battery carrier doesn't seem as tough as offerings from Sunwayman.
It's not my favorite body style, but if it functions good enough I could over look that.
Would love to hear some feedback from someone who has actually used one.
Thanks, Shad

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
Check out this review. The reviewer states that Fenix informed him that the body of the LD40 is made of "German Byre bullet proof plastic".

The battery carrier has never caused me any problems. The runtimes are outstanding, so I don't have to change the cells very often.

ginaz

Enlightened
agreed, battery changes are not frequent and i use mine for nightly dog walks. no concerns with the battery holder. i think people play that up a bit too much. it holds the batteries just fine and is protected by the exceptionally durable body. if you drop it on concrete while changing the batteries.. well, that wasn't the best place to be changing batteries was it? but the holder will survive it just fine. the batteries will probably pop out and go everywhere but if it were an incan you'd be out of luck as your bulb probably just went. instead, you've got a ding on your battery carrier. load it up and drive on

Deal4

Enlightened
What is the LD40's closest competitor in terms of price and performance? Obviously still with AA format.
There are a couple lights from Sunwayman that look really nice, but are quite a bit more expensive. Are they that much better than the LD40?

Ian2381

Enlightened
For the price the LD40 is really great. I have no problem trusting the durability as it seems durable enough.
I currently using it together with my Zebralight H51 as I was on a one week vacation in a Beach resort. Using the LD40 and I really love the tint, Output, runtime. Great all around light. Using it now searching for exotic sea animals, saw several eels, crabs, shrimps, fishes, etc. Looking for a rare one.:)

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too would like to hear from someone who owns a LD40 and has had some time to use/play with it. How tough is the plastic body? The battery carrier doesn't seem as tough as offerings from Sunwayman.
It's not my favorite body style, but if it functions good enough I could over look that.
Would love to hear some feedback from someone who has actually used one.
Thanks, Shad

I've had one since it came out. It has held up very well. It is a great AA light. It is not EDC though - too large for that.

i wish it didnt come in only nuetral white.

I wish more lights came in only neutral white. haha. Anyway, this light is on the cooler side of neutral with a hint of green tint. Most of my neutral lights are 5x tint where this one is more of a 3x tint (cool is 1x)

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
I must admit, when I opened the package I was a bit conscious of how extremely top heavy it was given the big metal head and light plastic body, but once you put the batteries in, it feels nicely balanced. Obviously having the plastic body does make you question just how sturdy it is, but it certainly doesn't feel flimsy in the hand. As long as you aren't planning on using it as a make shift billy-club in your one man war on crime, it'll last you just fine.

brandocommando

Enlightened
I have had an LD40 for a few months now and it continues to be one of my favorite lights. I just added some small felt sticky-pads to the battery carrier to stop the rattling and it now feels very solid. The plastic body does not bother me a bit, it is very strong and I don't have to worry about scratches or annodizing chipping off! Mine has an absolutely beautiful tint, and I liked it so much that I bought an LD25 as well. I just sold a bunch of lights lately but I am going to hang on to my neutral fenix's, I like them that much. Great UI (on both) and the LD40 has GREAT throw as well, a very useful light!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my LD40 and I got it last fall.

I wouldn't worry about output and throw; despite the numbers, it kicks the TK15's behind real good (I have witnesses on that). In fact, it is one of my best throwers (in order): TK40, Predator, TK45, LD40. It has a really big reflector.. bigger that you would expect from the pictures... I sure was shocked when I saw how big the head really is. It is a little front heavy, but not so bad once you pop the batteries in.

The body feels very strong and you probably could rolls over it with your car. I wouldn't count on it breaking just by dropping it... It'll last.

I doubt anything really competes with the LD40 for a little while (as a throwy neutral light, of course)

the LD40 definitely is something to see in action! Sorry, didn't have time to put up pictures yet, but it'll come...

Hawkman

Newly Enlightened
Any opinion on the comparison with the TK35? Does the 40 throw more of a longer beam whereas the 35 floods?