Anyone tried the AA Eneloop XX's

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, apologies if this thread is in the wrong place.

I generally prefer to stick to AA powered lights and have just ordered the Fenix LD40. I've been using duracells and rechargeable energisers, and I kept meaning to order some Eneloops, but then I saw the higher powered Eneloop XX's. Anyone tried these and are they worth paying the extra for?

New User

Banned
I have twelve of them so far. Work as well as you might expect from Eneloops.

Worth the extra cash? Depends how much you value the increase in capacity, or the slight reduction in recharge life I suppose.

Put it this way, any new AA cells I buy will be XX until something better comes along...

mrlysle

Enlightened
Probably should post it in the "Flashlight Electronics-Batteries Included" section. You can't move it but a mod probably will. You'll get lots of replies there! Good luck.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
higher powered Eneloop XX's . . .
They aren't actually higher powered, just a higher capacity. In other words, you'll get increased runtime, but not increased brightness or anything. As NU says, the tradeoff is in a reduced number of recharge cycles, although 500 cycles will still do you once a week for ten years.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

I have not seen any .

What is the Milli-Amp rating of these XX cells . Are they a brand new product ?

Are they more than 2000 mAh ?

~

ecrbattery

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at this thread for more info:

Sanyo-XX-2500mAh-NiMH-batteries-experiences-and-results

The Sanyo XX AA is available in the US from Amazon:

Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries - new 2500 mAh --eneloop xx -- 1 pack of 4 batteries - Limited Quantity

The lowest price is $19.95 for a pack of 4xAA. You are paying double the price of regular eneloop and only get a 25% increase in capacity. The battery life of these XX is also reduced to 500 cycles. I am waiting for the price to come down to a more reasonable $15 a pack of 4xAA.

Paolos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info.

Still torn though. I agree that they are kinda pricy, and that the proportionate rise in capacity doesn't reflect the price, but... longer run time is definitely appealing and as moonshadow says, recharging once a week gives it a 10 year lifespan. Think I could stand to replace them every 10 years! They are around £15 here (everything's more expensive here in the UK). Just spotted some for £8.99 on amazon, then noticed the £4.95 p&p.

mdh1979

Newly Enlightened
Paolos,

I think you would be fine with anything with the Eneloop name on it. For me it would come down to, will the small increment in avaliable power be justified with the much reduced cycle life? I would probably buy four regular eneloops and four XX and compare them in your LD40. They're Eneloops so either way you cant go wrong.

Matt

Latest posts