Coleman 4D led lanterns - comments, thoughts?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coleman has 3 different 4D 190 lumen led Cree lanterns. They include:

4D Rugged

4D Personal

4D Hi Tech

Wondering if anyone has one of these and what their impressions are. The first two seem the same, with the Personal being able to use the nimh pack as well as 4Ds. They have hi/lo. The Hi Tech has a rotary level adjustment, with I believe 6 output levels, as well as a slightly different reflector setup inside. All have a diffused plastic tube inside the clear globe.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not have direct experience with those lanterns, but I can state from experience with the Twin LED High Performance that I was not impressed with the Coleman build quality. An overabundance of plastic that felt cheap/brittle which did not inspire confidence.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Coleman has 3 different 4D 190 lumen led Cree lanterns. They include:

4D Rugged

4D Personal

4D Hi Tech

Wondering if anyone has one of these and what their impressions are. The first two seem the same, with the Personal being able to use the nimh pack as well as 4Ds. They have hi/lo. The Hi Tech has a rotary level adjustment, with I believe 6 output levels, as well as a slightly different reflector setup inside. All have a diffused plastic tube inside the clear globe.

are you sure that wasn't a lead acid 6v pack?

GreySave

Enlightened
I have some Coleman LED lanterns but none of those you listed. For the money and the build quality I prefer the Rayovac Sportsman's Extreme. It has a more solid feel to the build quality and has worked well. Have had only minor issues with the Colemans, but given the quality and price of the Rayovac it is still my lantern of choice.

DaveG

Enlightened
Home depot was/is selling a Coleman version that looks like a Personal,model 4-d cell.A portion of the sale goes to the autism foundation.Its is blue body,main led is white 190 lumen ?,2nd light is blue 5-mm leds,$19.98 or so.

edpmis02

Enlightened
Today, I just got the 4D personal lantern for $19.99 at Walmart. I have not tried it yet. The box says High: 190 lumens for Up To 86 hours - Low: 100 lumens up to "122 hours Maximum continuous runtime at lowest setting". Not sure if it is marketing speak or an updated product. All other references that I have seen give half these runtimes.. Will have to try it this weekend.

Update:

Tried the lantern out... Switch is a little stiff, battery holder is solid plastic and easily went together, two hotspots within the diffuser without any real glare, and pleasant white color to the light. Not a big difference between Low and high.

I may look for some drained batteries to see how it works on used batteries...

Last edited:

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
I have the Coleman Hi Tech. I also have the Rayovac 300 lumen. The Coleman is taller and light more glary. But able to turn down the Coleman to dim may be a plus for a nightlight in a tent. The 4d removable battery holder and dial for brightness are convenient. Hard for me to tell which is brighter although the Rayovac is rated at 300 lumens. As Greysave says the Rayovac feels more solid. But I really have no problems with the Coleman.

Between the Coleman and Rayovac - really a personal choice. If you can only buy one - the nod probably goes to the Rayovac.