Nitecore EX11.2 or Sunwayman V10R? Help me decide!

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
I bought a PD20 last week and it is defective so I'm returning it. I had an EX10 that is now lost and I loved that light. It seems like they've fixed the issues with parasitic drain on the EX11.2 so I'm now thinking about picking one up again. That was until I saw the V10R

Those of you that own both, please share your opinions! Also, does anyone have any side by side shots of the lights themselves? I get the feeling the V10 is a little bigger overall.

rioimmagina

Enlightened
I was in the same dilemma...
To solve it, i have read all the review found on the net... At the end i realized that, for my purposes, the SWM can fit the bill: infinite ring adjustment, crazy low, good high... v10r Flexibility seems unbeatable. And a lot of people are satisfied, while with nitecore...
good choice!

Ggmesquita

Newly Enlightened
Hello Teaque

Well, I do own both and I do prefer the V10R. My personal reasons would include:

- The magnetic control ring feels like a better interface when compared to the piston drive. I just think it is so much easier to get to the desired brightness level with the ring.
- The overall construction and machining seems better on the V10R
- TheV10R comes with a clip that can be very easily removed (just pull it) and you can insert it the other way around so it can be attached to a cap. NICE!

But yes, the V10R is a little bigger. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of both side by side.

I would go for the V10R.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the opinions!

To me the clip design on the V10R is not a good one. I've had lights with clips like those and if they snag on something they can pop off and go flying. How do the lowest and max settings compare between the two lights?

Starchaser

Newly Enlightened
Not to throw a monkey wrench... but have you looked at the JETBeam RRT-0 S2?

It's a lot more comparable to the V10R. Just thought since you were looking at getting a infinite ramping control ring light, you might want to check out the JETBeam too.

I don't have either yet, but have been looking at these two lately... and would choose one of them over the Nitecore EX11.2. :)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ex11 is going to be more compact ;)
V10r will give you quicker access to modes with that control ring.

That's a tough call but I'd go with the Nitecore

jorgen

Enlightened
I have both and like them both. The EX 11.2 is my current favorite favorite in the Nitecore lineup. It ramps slowly enough to provide several useful settings and has a superior clip design. The Vi0R is also an excellent choice. The control Ring is the smoothest of all the rotaries I have tried.
I find the useful brightness settings almost identical. The provide the same low and high settings and at least 2 in between.
The EX11.2 costs about 25% less.
I am happy to own and use both of them.

mrpink

Newly Enlightened
nitecores quality control sucks. and it sucks bad. i checked out the EX11.2 but came to the conclusion that since it doesnt have a clicky its basically an ITP 1XAA twisty. which it is, albeit a super overpriced one. except the ITP will have way better quality control.

RobME

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the opinions!

To me the clip design on the V10R is not a good one. I've had lights with clips like those and if they snag on something they can pop off and go flying. How do the lowest and max settings compare between the two lights?

You may have had similar, but you haven't had this (clip on the V10R). You're making (understandable) assumptions, but in this case... you're wrong. This clip isn't poping off so easily at all if you snag it. It's held on too firmly. I've yet to hear of this happening, though I've read of many - assumed - issues. JMO.

netprince

Enlightened
nitecores quality control sucks. and it sucks bad. i checked out the EX11.2 but came to the conclusion that since it doesnt have a clicky its basically an ITP 1XAA twisty. which it is, albeit a super overpriced one. except the ITP will have way better quality control.

this is my experience so far as well. nice design, poor follow through.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

The piston is a push button light, it's just a different type o switch. The "clickie" is metal and runs the full length of the body and activates in the head, all the electronics are in the head.
I've owned three piston drive Nitecores and they've all been good.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Don't have the Sunwayman, but I have the 11.2

I got the Nitecore because it's smaller and can be operated one handed. I just couldn't deal with clicking on a flashlight then changing grips to adjust the brightness.

mrpink

Newly Enlightened
The piston is a push button light, it's just a different type o switch. The "clickie" is metal and runs the full length of the body and activates in the head, all the electronics are in the head.
I've owned three piston drive Nitecores and they've all been good.
my mistake, i confused the EX with the EZ. i had a d11.2 but returned it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
my mistake, i confused the EX with the EZ. i had a d11.2 but returned it.

I've had an EZCR2 since the month they were released an mine has always worked perfectly. It's been on my work keyring all this time and gets plenty of use. I've read about crushed batteries but I only twist until I get to the output level I want then stop twisting (why twist further?). I MUCH prefer the UI of the EZCR2 to the Mini CR2. No need for multiple twist on twist off cycles.

mrlysle

Enlightened
I have a Nitecore IFE1 which is also uses the magnetic control ring, and it's a very nice light. I just wish the control ring had a tad more resistance to turning. Very low low, and nice max. Everything I've read about the V10R is positive though. Have a V10R Ti with AA extender coming this week. I'll post my thoughts comparing the 2 when I get it. Picked up a RRT-0 also over at the marketplace, but it's not here yet either. Hopefully this week as well. I wanted the infinitely variable control ring in a few different flavors so I can decide which I like the best and then maybe get a second one for a "spare". The new EX 11.2 has really peaked my interest also as I don't have any PD lights. Good luck with whatever you decide and share your thoughts after you get one.

phonoe

Newly Enlightened
I only have the V10A . This is my first Sunwayman and I can only say that I love it very much. I like the magnetic control ring and the solid feel. The size is suitable for me as compare to the bigger RRT-0. I use my own lanyard instead of the provided clip.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, just ordered the V10R. I'll post up my thoughts after I get it!